General Poker Discussion Poker Forums

Religion thread

or track by Email or RSS

Acombfosho

3147 posts
Joined 06/2008

In light of derailing of other threads due to this topic, lets have ONE topic dedicated to this subject. Discuss the pros and cons of having a belief system which is based upon a religious text or other religious idea.

Lets start with the one I like, Buddhism. I live near a large Buddhist Temple and its really beautiful. they are always throwing big parties at the temple and all the local people go to sing, dance, drink and talk, generally have a good time. I dont know much about what the songs are about because I cant understand everything in the language, but its mainly about having a good heart and trying to be a good person. There doesn't seem to be any judgemental dogmas in Buddhism, and they are tolerant of non-Buddhist.

If you are a monk in Buddhism, you wake up early to do chants then you walk the streets giving blessings to locals, who then in tern give the monks food, water and other general goods for their well being. Seems pretty cool to me. I have been going home late after a night out at 7-8ish in the morning and stopped to get blessings, although I must have been clearly inebriated the monks gave me a blessing and band for good luck.

Compared to other religions I like it because it seems to be more at one with the world. accepting other people for what they are, and encouraging individuals to have tolerance and be as good as they can with other people.

However, that being said, I am more in line with discordianism than anything else. (check out the church of the subgenius and robert anton wilsons books and work for more)

Posted about 7 years ago

smershbloke

319 posts
Joined 07/2008

I reckon the Poker gods model themselves on the Greek gods. We are just sport.

Posted about 7 years ago

HouseofCards

534 posts
Joined 08/2010

I was brought up Catholic, but would say I'm a humanist now and fairly anti-religious these days. Buddhism sounds like a hoot though.

Posted about 7 years ago

smershbloke

319 posts
Joined 07/2008

I was brought up Catholic, but would say I'm a humanist now and fairly anti-religious these days. Buddhism sounds like a hoot though.

there a few theories that J.C. was a buddhist. They make a lot of sense.

Posted about 7 years ago

maglame

1015 posts
Joined 04/2010

I just realized I know surprisingly little about Buddhism. I guess it's because I perceive it as not being as threatening as the Abrahamic religions, and Islam in particular.

Posted about 7 years ago

delcrossb

4280 posts
Joined 04/2009

I heard a rumor he wasn't Christian at all!

Posted about 7 years ago

UGAnation

303 posts
Joined 01/2010

The teachings on worldly things are almost identical. I have heard stories of Eastern cultures confusing Christian missionaries with Buddhist missionaries. As a Christian I use Buddhist teachings in my own life. Meditation and world views have been very useful.

Posted about 7 years ago

mastertex

529 posts
Joined 03/2008

There is already a Thread on this btw and it didn't go well.

Posted about 7 years ago

HouseofCards

534 posts
Joined 08/2010

When do they ever? Poke Tongue

Posted about 7 years ago

maglame

1015 posts
Joined 04/2010

I guess we should try hard to make this one work better.

Posted about 7 years ago

"GLUIPERIG"

1607 posts
Joined 01/2011

I just didn't like the comment that because 1/3 of the US believes in the Bible that poker looks grim on the other thread. I just want to go on record that I'm a Christian, believe in the Bible, don't judge other people for their beliefs/opinions and still play poker. To automatically assume that because I'm Christian and believe in the Bible that I am against playing poker is extremely closed minded, judgemental and quite honestly, ignorant. People need to understand that there are many different Christian religions out there and so we all shouldn't be categorized together. There's a difference between me and the guy that stands on the street corner preaching to everyone walking by telling them they're going to hell. Yes, we believe in the same God and the same book, but our interpretations are completely different, so please, refrain from saying "You're Christian/believer, so you must be against poker."

Posted about 7 years ago

Jyhani

721 posts
Joined 07/2010

This thread will insult a lot of people. Grin

Posted about 7 years ago

maglame

1015 posts
Joined 04/2010

I don't see the poker to religion connection either.

Posted about 7 years ago

Luke00016

1170 posts
Joined 11/2009

I'm a Christian, have a degree in philosophy, and have studied various religions and philosophy of religion in general. I'd be happy to talk to people in PM's or on Skype, as I'm all for thoughtful, interesting discussion.

Religion threads, though, always turn out angry/frustrated/petty, so I probably won't post my thoughts. So I guess, in before thread lock?

Posted about 7 years ago

maglame

1015 posts
Joined 04/2010

The people doing the most damage to this thread so far, are all the people who only want to predict its demise.

Posted about 7 years ago

HomePoker ForumsGeneral Poker Discussion → Religion thread