Articles Poker Forums

BB defending range

or track by Email or RSS

niveaformen

105 posts
Joined 12/2009

I'm interested how I should construct my BB defending range against opens at any position from theory or mathematical view?

Like if we have 2 regular opponents on SB, 1st open 20%, 2nd 40% and 3rd 100%. How should my range look like exactly if we don't have adjustments to make?

Let's take 3rd one for example as it's the only one I know how to calculate:

If he opens 100% 3x, that mean he risk 2,5bb to win 1,5bb.
We have to defend 38,50% of our range to not let him exploits us?

How should I calculate for other 2 examples?
How being IP/OOP makes changes in our calculations (BBvBTN)?

Thanks

Posted over 2 years ago

hayes13

858 posts
Joined 12/2008

I'm interested how I should construct my BB defending range against opens at any position from theory or mathematical view?

Like if we have 2 regular opponents on SB, 1st open 20%, 2nd 40% and 3rd 100%. How should my range look like exactly if we don't have adjustments to make?

Let's take 3rd one for example as it's the only one I know how to calculate:

If he opens 100% 3x, that mean he risk 2,5bb to win 1,5bb.
We have to defend 38,50% of our range to not let him exploits us?

How should I calculate for other 2 examples?
How being IP/OOP makes changes in our calculations (BBvBTN)?

Thanks

being out of position is such a large disadvantage. Start playing tighter. If you are asking the question in this way, you are neglecting how preflop compounds postflop.

you will be exploited far more often by playing loosely then playing too tight oop.
If you want to combat people opening too much start 3betting big cards to take back the initiative.

Hope this helps.

Posted over 2 years ago

Deets

594 posts
Joined 11/2010

If someone's tight enough don't worry about being exploited because they're not exploiting you. So if someone's opening 100% from the SB then that's a decent time to use unexploitable frequencies but if someone's opening the top 10% from the SB then just play hands that play well postflop because if you base your defending range on his bet-size or whatever you'll be eaten alive by his way stronger range.

Posted over 2 years ago

blah234

2602 posts
Joined 12/2009

being out of position is such a large disadvantage.

This seems to have become a catch phrase for not wanting to play OOP but in reality very few players understand position and how to use it well.

OP to answer your question it depends on the villain. Preflop open size, range, villain's ability to use position will all factor into consideration for our blind defending range. It's complex topic probably too long to fully explain in a forum post so I'd suggest get a coach to each it to you if you want to learn about blind defense in depth.

Posted over 2 years ago

PrinzVonHapunkt

1520 posts
Joined 12/2010

Why would you use unexploitable frequencies when someone opens 100%, because now you can call and 3bet way more than 40% (assuming he's opening 3x) because you're ip and he's clearly playing very suboptimally?

Posted over 2 years ago

Deets

594 posts
Joined 11/2010

Prinz, I agree, if he's opening too wide you can defend too wide/more aggressively. I should have been clearer in saying that there is likely a minimum opening range at which point you start needing to be worried about exploitation. Of course that minimum is below 100% but I'm pretty sure no one knows what it is.

Also, it's unlikely we'll know villain really has a 100% opening range, we'll just know it's really wide. In that situation, if you think villain is way better than you at least if you go for the unexploitable frequencies you know you're not being played.

Posted over 2 years ago

PrinzVonHapunkt

1520 posts
Joined 12/2010

It's probably some mystical percentage where your postflop edge and position and preflop folding percentage /3betting is mixed with spider legs in a big kettle.

But yes I agree, if you think the guy is clearly crushing you postflop even oop (or even winning slightly, because losing nothing is better Smile ) you probably should try to go for unexploitable

Posted over 2 years ago

hayes13

858 posts
Joined 12/2008

This seems to have become a catch phrase for not wanting to play OOP but in reality very few players understand position and how to use it well.

OP to answer your question it depends on the villain. Preflop open size, range, villain's ability to use position will all factor into consideration for our blind defending range. It's complex topic probably too long to fully explain in a forum post so I'd suggest get a coach to each it to you if you want to learn about blind defense in depth.

+1

Posted over 2 years ago

omnimirage

915 posts
Joined 04/2011

Do you guys think it's a leak for me to basically always 3bet bluff certain hands against stealers when OOP without information about how he'll respond(will stop if gain information that he won't ever fold) I basically always 3bet JTs, QJs, KJs, KQs, A2s+ I'm @ micros

Posted over 2 years ago

HomePoker ForumsArticles → BB defending range