Poker Video: No Limit Hold'Em by Grindcore (Micro/Small Stakes)

The Thin Red Grind: Episode Two

This video is a two minute preview. To view the entire video, please Log In or Sign Up Now
Get the Flash Player to see this player.

The Thin Red Grind: Episode Two by Grindcore

Grindcore plays 4-tables of 50NL with a hyper loose-aggressive style.

About The Thin Red Grind Subscribe to

Grindcore brings his talents back to the DeucesCracked video lineup. Theory and live sweats from 50NL to 400NL.

Tags

grindcore the thin red grind 50nl 50 nl lag loose-aggressive

Video Details

• Game: nlhe
  • Stakes: Micro/Small Stakes
  • 60 minutes long
  • Posted almost 4 years ago

Downloads

Premium Subscribers can download high-quality, DRM-free videos in multiple formats.

Comments for The Thin Red Grind: Episode Two

or track by Email or RSS

Grindcore

2383 posts
Joined 11/2008

on the 22 hand in the upper right corner. at what point does it become improper to set mine? like if he makes it 2? also what do u think about folding the 22? sorry about all my pocket pair questions but im having a lot of questions with them in my game at the moment.
i was using the 10x rule(villan has to have 10x size of raise in stack to make it a profitable call) but i'm starting to think this is not right maybe its 15x or 20x

If he makes it 2, there's still 25x as much behind with 100bb stacks.

But I almost never purely setmine, I also play for the showdownvalue. Though with 22 that's very low, against certain opponents it's quite possible. And I can just bluff my way to victory sometimes, if the situation is right. Ifyou're purely setmining, your opponent better either be drunk or be very aggressive or it might simply be incorrect to call preflop with any stacksize.

Posted over 3 years ago

gravessen

27 posts
Joined 06/2008

Time Link to 00:09:07

why in table 2 you ck behind with AQ in KJx, to pot control against his air, and in table 4 after you flat AKs vs UTG open you bet when checked to in 632r? don´t applys the same logic as table 2?

Another thing, AQ in KJx you don't like to cbet to fold out his low pps, and to protect your equity in tha hand? because AQ its an hand you have a lot of outs to improve you can also barrel him of a weak J? whats your thought on that?

ty

Posted over 3 years ago

Grindcore

2383 posts
Joined 11/2008

why in table 2 you ck behind with AQ in KJx, to pot control against his air, and in table 4 after you flat AKs vs UTG open you bet when checked to in 632r? don´t applys the same logic as table 2?

Another thing, AQ in KJx you don't like to cbet to fold out his low pps, and to protect your equity in tha hand? because AQ its an hand you have a lot of outs to improve you can also barrel him of a weak J? whats your thought on that?

ty

Do you mean the AKs hand on table 3 that happened at the same time? I called a cbet there, I didn't bet. If you mean another AKs hand, please leave a timestamp.

Yeah I'd normally cbet the AQ vs SB callers as their range is pocket pair heavy, but this guy seemed to be a bit looser and likely has more broadways in his range that won't fold. Betting to 3barrel is probably good though.

Posted over 3 years ago

udownwithvpp

1143 posts
Joined 04/2008

On table 1 you call down the turn and river with J9 on AT49K and say that after the flop gets checked through villain can't suddenly be barreling two streets with much so he has air or the nuts essentially here. I agree once we get to the river that the call is good, but the turn call in itself against two players OOP on the turn doesn't seem good to me.

http://www.deucescracked.com/forums/13-Videos/topics/330621-The-Thin-Red-Grind-Episod?

I feel like against their combined ranges you are going to lose this hand a lot since either player can have Tx, some better 9x, a hand like JJ or QQ some of the time, though usually those would get 3 bet, andall kinds of straight draws and spades with a K or Q. The only great card on the river for you is a 9 and you probably have more Reverse implied odds on a J than implied odds since Tx or worse will not be paying off to a bet on the river and will be checking back if checked to. Of course you do have the equity of them bluffing their missed draws, but is that enough of a reason for you to call the turn here?

I'm wondering about this hand too. The river call seems ambitious to me. Can't villain have KT QJ? I think you thought he bet turn and river in the video but he called turn bet river. Also at the time you weren't worried about the hands the other guy had who still had to act. I'm wondering if you still like your play or if there's something about their ranges I'm not getting. It just seems like they have a lot of value hands to me to make up for the times they have missed draws.

Posted over 3 years ago

Grindcore

2383 posts
Joined 11/2008

I'm wondering about this hand too. The river call seems ambitious to me. Can't villain have KT QJ? I think you thought he bet turn and river in the video but he called turn bet river. Also at the time you weren't worried about the hands the other guy had who still had to act. I'm wondering if you still like your play or if there's something about their ranges I'm not getting. It just seems like they have a lot of value hands to me to make up for the times they have missed draws.

I address the hand at the end of the video, so watch that first Smile

Let me know if you still have questions after.

Posted over 3 years ago

udownwithvpp

1143 posts
Joined 04/2008

I address the hand at the end of the video, so watch that first Smile

Let me know if you still have questions after.

Ah thanks I was only about halfway through the video at the time. There's a lot to digest. I still think I'm having trouble putting villain on a correct range in the J9 hand and I'm always worried that I'm going to give him too wide of a range. Do you think the range below looks ok or do you think you have even more equity? If you give him hearts it's probably an easy river call, but I think most people bet hearts in position on the flop? I know you only need to be good about 30% of the time to break even on the call.

I learned a ton from this hand about the turn call and I get why it's a call on the river if everyone bets Tx or better on the flop. I just used to auto fold turn and auto fold the river since the king hit and I assumed they had a ton of QJ in their range. I'm hoping I can start to recognize these spots better while I'm playing but in the heat of the moment it seems tough.

Board: Ah Ts 4h 9s Kc
Dead:

equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 57.143% 57.14% 00.00% 12 0.00 { QJs, 87s, 8s6s, 7s6s, 7s5s, 6s5s, 5s4s, QJo }
Hand 1: 42.857% 42.86% 00.00% 9 0.00 { Jc9d }

If villain has KTo and KTs in his range then you go down to 30% equity.

Posted over 3 years ago

Grindcore

2383 posts
Joined 11/2008

Ah thanks I was only about halfway through the video at the time. There's a lot to digest. I still think I'm having trouble putting villain on a correct range in the J9 hand and I'm always worried that I'm going to give him too wide of a range. Do you think the range below looks ok or do you think you have even more equity? If you give him hearts it's probably an easy river call, but I think most people bet hearts in position on the flop? I know you only need to be good about 30% of the time to break even on the call.

I learned a ton from this hand about the turn call and I get why it's a call on the river if everyone bets Tx or better on the flop. I just used to auto fold turn and auto fold the river since the king hit and I assumed they had a ton of QJ in their range. I'm hoping I can start to recognize these spots better while I'm playing but in the heat of the moment it seems tough.

Board: Ah Ts 4h 9s Kc
Dead:

equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 57.143% 57.14% 00.00% 12 0.00 { QJs, 87s, 8s6s, 7s6s, 7s5s, 6s5s, 5s4s, QJo }
Hand 1: 42.857% 42.86% 00.00% 9 0.00 { Jc9d }

If villain has KTo and KTs in his range then you go down to 30% equity.

Which means I'm still priced in to call Smile

Posted over 3 years ago

udownwithvpp

1143 posts
Joined 04/2008

Cool thanks just a spot I wanted to make sure I wasn't off base with his range as I haven't done too much analysis in this spot for hand combos and equity since I've always just folded and assumed they had QJ.

Posted over 3 years ago

Grindcore

2383 posts
Joined 11/2008

Cool thanks just a spot I wanted to make sure I wasn't off base with his range as I haven't done too much analysis in this spot for hand combos and equity since I've always just folded and assumed they had QJ.

Yeah he could have KT, but appearantly also 87o. There's always some spazz factor. I probably have 33% equity or so, which means I can call a potsized bet, but when he pots he has the nuts so I should fold anyway then Poke Tongue

Posted over 3 years ago

udownwithvpp

1143 posts
Joined 04/2008

Yeah he could have KT, but appearantly also 87o. There's always some spazz factor. I probably have 33% equity or so, which means I can call a potsized bet, but when he pots he has the nuts so I should fold anyway then Poke Tongue

I think I finally feel like this hand clicked for me. It seems easy now but there's no way I would be able to spot it until you explained it in the video and even then it took it this long for it to truly click for me.

I just started throwing some hands in stove again today and I got exactly 42.857% equity for villain which is what I got before and posted on here. Now I also think that he can show up with missed hearts which for some weird reason I didn't think he could have before. The big thing that made the hand make sense to me was I finding out you have 27% equity even if villain can vbet KQ on the river and never shows up with missed hearts. So that's a pretty unrealistic scenario and a much more realistic one is that he has J8s, 87o, or a million other missed flush draws because people love suited and connected cards and I'm still surprised by the wide range of stuff people are calling with at these stakes even from people with not so fishy stats.

Posted over 3 years ago

Grindcore

2383 posts
Joined 11/2008

Congratulations, you've just become a better handreader.

Posted over 3 years ago

udownwithvpp

1143 posts
Joined 04/2008

Congratulations, you've just become a better handreader.

Oh ty. Finally got a chance to use the same logic from that hand although the spot probably looks obvious to someone good: http://www.pokerhand.org/?5980421

25nl Rush. PFR is a 13/10 over 63 hands and other guy is a 25/14 over 29 hands. I think the pfr has 88-TT when he calls flop so I checked the turn thinking I would overrep my hand with a bet. On the other hand I have the best hand so often and now that I think about it he would fold TT so the turn is probably a bet.

On the river the 25/14 bet and it didn't really make much sense for him to have a J or 7 especially because he's russian and I have yet to see a russian at 25nl rush check mid pair or better in this spot because they play so straightforward. In the past I'd just be like welp he has 7x or Jx what can I do, and even if he doesn't pfr could have TT. Like you said in your video though if I call here pfr is probably always going to fold a lot and I was confident this type of player would fold TT too and that's probably the top of his range for calling.

Posted over 3 years ago

NyynoMuk

2 posts
Joined 02/2010

Why? The only difference in how it plays is the absence of the pot button.

Just a quick FYI, you can set a pot button on PS now under Options > Bet Slider Options.

Amazing reads and description of your thought process, thank you for making these vids.

Posted over 3 years ago

just4grind0r

168 posts
Joined 04/2010

hi all

@grindcore
min52 left bottom table(AJ), why you dont shove the turn w gs+oc+fd against the fish, also it seems that he is weak in case of his betsize

Posted over 3 years ago

Grindcore

2383 posts
Joined 11/2008

hi all

@grindcore
min52 left bottom table(AJ), why you dont shove the turn w gs+oc+fd against the fish, also it seems that he is weak in case of his betsize

If he has a weak FD, I want to see the river as he might fold the turn to a shove but I can stack him when we hit. If he's weak, he'll likely b/f or c/f river anyway so if I'm gonna shove, I can just delay it to the river and possibly get another bet out of him before taking it down for the same price.

I'm not sure why I didn't shove the river in the video as it's too long ago and I can't remember my reads anymore, and I'm not gonna watch the entire video to get them again. I probably was distracted from the river bluff at table 3, or I had a read on him about his value betsizes or something, or a read he'd bet-call any pair on either turn or river.

Posted over 3 years ago

HomePoker ForumsMicro Stakes Online NL → The Thin Red Grind : Episode Two