Beginner Limit Hold'em Poker Forums

limit holdem: games drying up?

or track by Email or RSS

Entity

8663 posts
Joined 11/2006

Based on recent experience, I\'d say that the games have gotten tougher, but not so significantly tougher that they\'re \"drying up.\" You\'ll have to work harder to be a winning player at 5/10 and 10/20 6m games than you used to be, but it\'s my honest belief that this is the short term.

That being said, I believe that to be a well-rounded player who is impervious to short-term market swings, it\'s best to become better at all sorts of games -- ranging from NLH and PLO to Limit Stud/8.

FWIW, I\'m bringing in someone do to PLO videos in the near future (2+2er beset), so you can hopefully see videos of that and other games in the near future.

Rob

Posted over 7 years ago

Joe Tall

6693 posts
Joined 11/2006

Ollie,

I think you are limiting yourself to much in a statement like this. There are many sites and many games left to choose from.

-Joe Tall

Posted over 7 years ago

Joe Tall

6693 posts
Joined 11/2006

on limit games besides holdem (some of which can be insanely profitable with a higher theoretical winrate and lower variance) as well as improve his limit holdem game, and most importantly use his game selection and tiltlessness skills to outclass his opponents.

I\'ve been finding the low limit HORSE games to be very popular over the last few months.

Posted over 7 years ago

Joe Tall

6693 posts
Joined 11/2006

SonnyBarger wrote:

under 5/10, I think 3bb/100 is within reason.

I 100% agree.

Posted over 7 years ago

DeathDonkey

5389 posts
Joined 11/2006

I agree that in the realm of mid to high stakes online games this is the case right now. I think many of these things are cyclical, I think the boom of NL ring games cannot be sustained and I think limit is a more viable longterm game. I think there are a lot of poor players at mid stakes limit though not as many as there used to be. I think that a great poker player will persevere and if he doesn\'t want to be a NL player he will educate himself on limit games besides holdem (some of which can be insanely profitable with a higher theoretical winrate and lower variance) as well as improve his limit holdem game, and most importantly use his game selection and tiltlessness skills to outclass his opponents.

-DeathDonkey<br><br>Post edited by: DeathDonkey, at: 2007/03/06 17:02

Posted over 7 years ago

SonnyBarger

13 posts
Joined 02/2007

I would say that limit hold\'em online is a lot tougher than it was 2 years ago. On the other hand, limit hold\'em live is still very good.

Posted over 7 years ago

SonnyBarger

13 posts
Joined 02/2007

Joe Tall wrote:

on limit games besides holdem (some of which can be insanely profitable with a higher theoretical winrate and lower variance) as well as improve his limit holdem game, and most importantly use his game selection and tiltlessness skills to outclass his opponents.

I\'ve been finding the low limit HORSE games to be very popular over the last few months.

The best limit games on \'Stars below 10/20 are HORSE. The typical player in the game is not skilled at any variant and the 8-hand limit at each game makes them play impatiently.

Posted over 7 years ago

SonnyBarger

13 posts
Joined 02/2007

under 5/10, I think 3bb/100 is within reason.

Posted over 7 years ago

latent

3 posts
Joined 02/2007

I\'ve been playing a good deal of HORSE and the games are insanely soft.

Posted over 7 years ago

olliepower

29 posts
Joined 03/2007

Now a days i long onto any poker room and it seems there are very few limit games running...at least in comparison to the NLHE games. This leads me to believe that slowly the limit holdem player pool is drying up, and soon, at the higher limit games the only people that will be left are the winners. This will make it very hard to make good money as players keep on getting better at the game. What do you all think?

Posted over 7 years ago

olliepower

29 posts
Joined 03/2007

what kind of win rate for other games can be expected and achieved? IE stud, HORSE, 2-7 etc......I would think it would be hard to make more money as it is difficult if not impossible to play more than 2 or 3 tables of these games. I can only handle one or these other games at the moment and thus dont\' play them very often because i can play more tables of low limit holdem and make more money.

Also why do you not think the NL holdem boom can sustain itself, and why do you believe limit is a more viable long term game?

I do not doubt what you are saying, and personaly believe that new game of the future is PLO. Currenlty there are few good PLO players compared to good holdem players. PLO also has the advantage of being mulit-table-able. What do you all think?

Posted over 7 years ago

olliepower

29 posts
Joined 03/2007

what kind of earn rate can be achived 1 tabling or 2 tabling HORSE?

Posted over 7 years ago

HomePoker ForumsBeginner Limit Hold'em → limit holdem: games drying up?