Beginner Limit Hold'em Poker Forums

Is the BB making me a looser?

or track by Email or RSS

Entity

8633 posts
Joined 11/2006

While a 40k hand sample isn\'t much (I can certainly choose samples where I\'ve run horribly over 40k hands), it\'s something to be concerned about at the beginning of a 6max career for sure, especially at lower limits where variance should be lower due to lowered aggression and worse play overall.

Filtering my hands over the last year for 6-handed or less (~180k hands), I\'ve got a lossrate of .11 in the BB and .07 in the SB. This is with me folding my BB to a steal ~47% of the time and folding my SB to a steal ~80% of the time.

Even during my worst month (November, ~45k hands losing close to 1bb/100), I was at very comparable numbers in my BB/SB defense and winrates (.11 lossrate in the BB and .10 lossrate in the SB).

It\'s pretty clear that you\'re leaking from the BB but it\'s hard to diagnose on-the-spot what you\'re doing; it could be folding too much, or folding too little, getting to showdown too passively, betting out on flops where you should be checking...it\'s often going to be a sign of some sort of leak. Since leaks are magnified the most when you are out of position, it\'s easiest to see that you are having serious issues, but not necessarily what they are.

Hopefully in the upcoming weeks I\'ll have some articles written on some specifics of blind play. Keep checking out the LHE 6max videos and trying to figure out what winning players do that you don\'t. I\'m also considering a service in the future where you pay a small fee to record yourself and your thoughts playing, and as long as we retain the rights to the video (i.e. I can use it for instructional purposes in the future), I can re-record an audio track over it explaining what I would do in these circumstances and why I would do it.

Let me know if that would be of interest to you.

Rob

Posted about 7 years ago

DeathDonkey

5389 posts
Joined 11/2006

Wetdog wrote:

Rob, that sounds really good. If you could maybe freeze the video and put your commentary in immediately after the player\'s (sort of like a video inside a video) I think it would help to reprogram our thinking.

What is/are the programs you guys use to make these? I know it was in the site here somewhere, but I can\'t seem to find it.

We use Camtasia Studio for all video stuff, I\'m very satisfied with the product. I love Rob\'s idea too.

-DeathDonkey

Posted about 7 years ago

SteveL91

6 posts
Joined 01/2007

Disclaimer: Breaking down stats from Poker Tracker is most definitely my strong-suit, so hopefully I\'m not saying anything too wrong.

I think it\'s a distinct possibility your blind play is a major contributing factor in making you a loser.

In going over my hands from 2006 and 2007 (roughly 242,000 hands at limits ranging from 2/4 FR to 50/1006m - I\'m such a slacker), I think I may have stumbled onto one of my biggest leaks: BB play. I have an overall loss rate of (.17) in the BB (and .07 in the SB, which might be a bit high, but I don\'t think it\'s too out of line), which I believe is way too high. I\'m not sure if it\'s correct, but if I adjust the numbers in the BB for a (.13) loss (which I think may still be a bit high for a good player, but I\'m not sure), it roughly triples my win rate. Again, to be clear, I\'m not sure if the relationship is linear, and it\'s also possible I\'m doing something wrong elsewhere. But, it\'s intuitively obvious that my poor BB play is costing me... a lot!

Posted about 7 years ago

Wetdog

16 posts
Joined 02/2007

Rob, that sounds really good. If you could maybe freeze the video and put your commentary in immediately after the player\'s (sort of like a video inside a video) I think it would help to reprogram our thinking.

What is/are the programs you guys use to make these? I know it was in the site here somewhere, but I can\'t seem to find it.

Posted about 7 years ago

tingeltangeltoni

16 posts
Joined 02/2007

Im loosing 0.09 BB/h from the sb and about 0.28BB/h from the BB. Is it possible that that makes a loosing Player shorthanded? Im down 1500$ over 38K hands mostly from 2/4$ and i lost 4700$ from the BB at this time. So if i could decrease my losses from the BB 0.15-0.20BB/h i should be at least a break even player right? I also i feel that i ran fairly poor over taht 40 K Hands but looking at my stats especially the BB there are still some smaller and some bigger leaks and i think the BB should be the biggest. I reading threads/books/ articles about the BB play and im feeling im doing better but i really dont knowFrown

Posted about 7 years ago

tingeltangeltoni

16 posts
Joined 02/2007

Yea i like this Idea very much. I may have some problems with it beacause as a german im not that good at speaking english but i think i good enough to explain my Poker thoughts. I also red a of Blidn articles and threads and i tried some things like calling the Flop and donking the Turn with air or A high and some other basic strategies and i must say its working fine.Will see how that works out in the future.Im looking forward to your article!

Posted about 7 years ago

HollywoodDB

232 posts
Joined 02/2007

Entity wrote:

Hopefully in the upcoming weeks I\'ll have some articles written on some specifics of blind play. Keep checking out the LHE 6max videos and trying to figure out what winning players do that you don\'t. I\'m also considering a service in the future where you pay a small fee to record yourself and your thoughts playing, and as long as we retain the rights to the video (i.e. I can use it for instructional purposes in the future), I can re-record an audio track over it explaining what I would do in these circumstances and why I would do it.

Let me know if that would be of interest to you.

Rob

Wow, I would be very interested in this. After reading this thread, I found that I am a huge loser in the blinds too. .25 in the BB and .15 in the SB. I think this is killing me. I\'m still fairly new to 6Max and I think blind play is much more important than in FR. I would love to read or watch anything about blind play or have you watch a video of myself.

Posted about 7 years ago

HomePoker ForumsBeginner Limit Hold'em → Is the BB making me a looser?