Poker Video: Misc/Other by Travis Steffen (Micro/Small Stakes)

Shuffle and Flow: Episode Ten

This video is a two minute preview. To view the entire video, please Log In or Sign Up Now
Get the Flash Player to see this player.

Shuffle and Flow: Episode Ten by Travis Steffen

Travis concludes his series on the topic of sports psychology.

About Shuffle and Flow Subscribe to

Get a look inside Travis Steffen's coaching program. Want to reach your full potential as a poker player? Want to amplify your edge in tough games to start playing better for longer? Supplemental to his new book, Peak Performance Poker, Shuffle and Flow is going to let you in on some tips and tricks you can start integrating into your life right away.

Tags

travis steffen shuffle and flow ipod friendly powerpoint sports psychology

Video Details

• Game: other
  • Stakes: Micro/Small Stakes
  • 46 minutes long
  • Posted almost 4 years ago

Downloads

Premium Subscribers can download high-quality, DRM-free videos in multiple formats.

Comments for Shuffle and Flow: Episode Ten

or track by Email or RSS

Zen179

6 posts
Joined 07/2009

doc.lemon

1810 posts
Joined 07/2009

I am so behind my man. I ignored this series and then I found out you are the same guy who did the Poker Health pod cast =>Snap watch/apply homeworks Grin

Posted almost 4 years ago

tmmoss

48 posts
Joined 05/2009

Great finale. Your adjustment to feedback really improved your episodes and the series overall. Thanks for adding 9 and 10. This last episode hit home hardest for me. Off for a big box of rubber bands now. Snap!

Bazman76

345 posts
Joined 11/2008

chewchew

50 posts
Joined 09/2010

TheChosenOne

94 posts
Joined 04/2008

What would be a good affirmation to counter tilt? As I take it we cannot use the word tilt in the affirmation.

Travis Steffen

123 posts
Joined 08/2010

What would be a good affirmation to counter tilt? As I take it we cannot use the word tilt in the affirmation.

Great question. Sounds like you've got a pretty good understanding of this concept already.

A good exercise after you take a beat is to momentarily shut your eyes (unless you're playing a billion tables) while you take a deep breath in. Force yourself to relax your body and smile. On your exhale, say something like "New session". When you open your eyes, imagine you're playing a completely new session. That beat happened long ago and is out of your mind.

I realize this isn't a pure affirmation, but it's a good combination of a few strategies. If you've got time, this would be a good spot for a visualization as well.

FabledHero

10 posts
Joined 03/2008

Hey Travis thanks for the series it's been very insightful. I'm curious about what you think the best motivational strategy is. Let's say for some reason you don't feel like doing something that you know you should do. Maybe like when you were working on your book, or playing sports or whatever. What do you think the best method is for inspiring you to put in the effort as soon as possible? Do you think about your goals, like the end game that you want to get to for motivation, look at quotes, read about that topic, what do you find works best?

For me personally I can talk myself into wanting to do things if I approach it the right way. Also Listening to others talking about it or watching them do that activity can also be motivating. Obviously this is a very broad question, so I guess to narrow it down, what have you found works the most often, because there's definitely so many strategies you can use that work varying degrees. Thanks.

Posted over 3 years ago

Travis Steffen

123 posts
Joined 08/2010

I personally think about the long term goal, then break it down into short term actionable goals, then into daily steps. In my daily to do list I've got at least one of these steps included, and I don't let myself relax until I've accomplished as much as possible on my list. This is typically fairly powerful for me personally because I'm addicted to productivity, but there are a lot of clients I've had in the past that need to have something riding on their performance.

Your approach is actually pretty powerful and common. There are a lot of clients I've had who have needed to watch motivational fitness vids before each workout. An example would be the Greg Plitt preview vids on youtube.

Posted over 3 years ago

Bazman76

345 posts
Joined 11/2008

How do you keep from burning out? How do you get back on track once you've fallen off?

Posted over 3 years ago

Travis Steffen

123 posts
Joined 08/2010

How do you keep from burning out?

This can sometimes be a case-by-case thing, and can depend on what it is you're burning out from, but my best advice would be having balance. If you let one particular part of your life become your only focus, burnout is bound to happen. However, if you make it a point to schedule time to blow off steam, relax, see friends, have a little fun, and do certain things that get your mind away from what you may be at risk for burnout from. The whole "every second I don't spend doing xxx is a second that I could have spent getting closer to my goal" is good - but only up to a certain point. In fitness, we call this overtraining. In poker, you might call it burnout. Make sense?

How do you get back on track once you've fallen off?

It starts with the mind - first and always. Clean your mental slate and start fresh. Set new goals, new deadlines, take a new approach, outline a new strategy, etc. Break those all up into actionable daily items. Add them into your daily to-do list, and then get to it! If you're having trouble motivationally, find a training partner. It doesn't matter whether it's a fitness-based training partner, a sports-based training partner, a poker-based training partner - whatever. They all accomplish the same goal. Instead of disappointing yourself when you don't accomplish your daily tasks (which is mentally easier to handle), you run the risk of disappointing your training partner.

A good way of making sure that doesn't happen is by putting something on the line. For example, some of my past clients have elected to both work out together and have poker sweat sessions together regularly. If one of them misses x number of sessions (usually 2 at the most) per month, they owe the other person their entire rakeback check. If they both miss that number of sessions, both checks go to charity. If neither of them miss, they keep their rakeback. Both played for a living, and both checks were usually fairly hefty, so the money was added motivation for getting up in the morning, for breaking away from the TV or video games, etc. Neither one missed a workout or session for the entire 3 month span I spent with them.

Hopefully this helps!

Posted over 3 years ago

Bazman76

345 posts
Joined 11/2008

Travis, you are the man. Thank you.

Posted over 3 years ago

Azurehaze

175 posts
Joined 11/2010

Beautiful Series. Thanks for getting it on DC!

Posted over 3 years ago

Farmer108

293 posts
Joined 07/2010

Hi Travis. I've been reviewing the series again, and feel that, as you eluded to, a series on sports psychology( specifically NLP techniques, etc) would be welcome.

Some areas I have problems with myself are; patience(I know where I want to go, and I know what I need to do to get there, but as I'm doing the work I become restless, and begin looking at other video series, etc, and not finishing what I've started), leak finding (is what I'm looking at a leak, or is it infact self doubt) and resource management (trying to find time to effectively learn and utilise HEM, WIZ, stove, videos, forums, live play in a way effectively). I Only mention this because if I have these problems, then others must do too.

Posted over 3 years ago

HomePoker ForumsGeneral Poker Discussion → Shuffle and Flow : Episode Ten