General Poker Discussion Poker Forums

been a member for 6 months and still a loser

or track by Email or RSS

_Rottweiler_

159 posts
Joined 01/2011

Sup guys,

Been a member here for 6 months, watched a shit ton of vids tried my very best to study the game and still a fucking loser. If I'm playing well i get shit on by suckouts and if im tilting my tits off i will NEVER draw out on someone. I've had some coaching but no matter how hard I try i can't win at poker. Luckily i'm playing micros so the financial hit is minimal but it is just killing me that i can't even beat this game at the lowest level. I really feel like i've improved but it doesnt seem to matter 'cos no matter how well i play some crack head will stick there money in bad and win every fucking time. Is it best just to quit now? Are the micros just a crapshoot? 'Cos i honestly feel I could do better playing roulette or craps as there is just no justice to this game.

Posted over 3 years ago

NixonTheGrouch

Section 9
1155 posts
Joined 11/2008

It sounds like Tommy Angelo's EPTPE would be helpful for you. Getting emotional about suckouts is a giant leak.

Posted over 3 years ago

TtheAntlers

1270 posts
Joined 01/2010

It sounds like Tommy Angelo's EPTPE would be helpful for you. Getting emotional about suckouts is a giant leak.

I second this. I really had no idea how much tilt affected my winrate until I started putting EPTPE into practice.

Posted over 3 years ago

ocd193

424 posts
Joined 02/2011

Agree with nixon. Ive been where you are, hell we've all been there. Take a few days off and watch the vid and practice what is being preached and it works. Matter of fact its about time for me to take a couple of days off and rewatch it. It really does help.

Posted over 3 years ago

_Rottweiler_

159 posts
Joined 01/2011

you're prob right mate, but i just can't get my head around how people win at this game when suckouts are so prevalent, i don't have exact stats but i'd be happy to bet that my 70/30's are closer to 55/45. It's hard enough to beat the rake at micros but when you add in the constant bad beats and loosing flips i just don't see how people win. I've been playing hu plo sng's and the hands people stack off are a joke but somehow they always win. I try and do everything right, utilizing position, controlling the pot oop, planning streets ahead, putting my opponent on a range and what i'm representing, analysing game flow etc. but still end up losing when i get my money in good or never hitting my massive draw when above all else i have huge fe over what these idiots stack off. Totally disillusioned by it all and it's soul crushing to boot.

Posted over 3 years ago

"GLUIPERIG"

1607 posts
Joined 01/2011

you're prob right mate, but i just can't get my head around how people win at this game when suckouts are so prevalent, i don't have exact stats but i'd be happy to bet that my 70/30's are closer to 55/45. It's hard enough to beat the rake at micros but when you add in the constant bad beats and loosing flips i just don't see how people win. I've been playing hu plo sng's and the hands people stack off are a joke but somehow they always win. I try and do everything right, utilizing position, controlling the pot oop, planning streets ahead, putting my opponent on a range and what i'm representing, analysing game flow etc. but still end up losing when i get my money in good or never hitting my massive draw when above all else i have huge fe over what these idiots stack off. Totally disillusioned by it all and it's soul crushing to boot.

Have you just been a member for 6 months, or have been playing for 6 months? TBO, that's a big question. Also, how many tables are you playing? I'll be honest, it took me a couple years before I became a consistant winner at this game. I would always be able to make a good score from time to time, but it was the tilting that would crush my roll every time. Now, I haven't reloaded once in the past couple years, unless you count putting money on Merge after Black Friday. This game is a never ending learning experience. I still feel like I'm 100x's the player I was this time last year. So just put in more time. The biggest step is controlling your emotions, both at and away from the table.

PS, I know the micros are tough to handle. It has been a long long time since I've played the smallest games online, but I'm forced to now that I'm starting over. Beating the $4NL game currently at about 18bb's/100!!! Smile

Posted over 3 years ago

tubasteve

7647 posts
Joined 11/2007

have you done any sweat sessions or in-depth session reviews?

Posted over 3 years ago

StueysKid

1018 posts
Joined 11/2009

I've been where you are OP. It gets like this sometimes.

Think of it this way, you're lucky to hit your downswing/rough patch while playing smaller stakes so that you can learn to deal with it mentally and emotionally now before you get hit at the upper levels where the damage psychologically and monetarily would be more painful.

There are study groups you can get into; record sessions and post to DC for review; etc. Just keep trucking. It's all you can do.

Beating the $4NL game currently at about 18bb's/100!!!

that's awesome!! I think a lot of us are in the same boat in online games. I lost my whole roll to black friday, and was a bit hesitant to send in another few G's when I'm not even sure I could withdraw... so I'll be playing micros for a while myself.
and that's another factor OP... there could be a lot of SSNL'ers that have had to move down... depending on what site you're on, of course.

I just noticed this little piece:

I've been playing hu plo sng's

perhaps this is the problem?

Posted over 3 years ago

KarlAnthony

20 posts
Joined 02/2010

The "tilting my tits off" part sounded a bit like a confession, so that's probably something to work on.

I found the most difficult thing to get my head around with Poker was that the better player doesn't win 10 times out of 10. You can't win every time at Poker
It seems a clueless idiot can win maybe 3 times out of 10.

I was interested in Chess as a youngster and went along to a local chess club. I lost again and again and again and again.
I never went back

Karl

Posted over 3 years ago

_Rottweiler_

159 posts
Joined 01/2011

hey Gluiperig, i've been playing regularly for about a year but casually for about 4/5, i totally accept that tilting is a massive leak and can swallow those losses but when i think im playing my a game and still coming up short thats when it's really hard to handle.

hey tubasteve, done 2 vid reviews but no sweats so far.

Posted over 3 years ago

"GLUIPERIG"

1607 posts
Joined 01/2011

Thanks Stuey!! Yeah, I agree with you completely about all the SSNL'ers dropping down to the micros. I play on Lock poker and it's pretty much 4/5 reg's and only a couple fish at best at every table...even at $4NL. Makes it easier to adjust, but just not as profitable...but sure beats not playin. Smile

Posted over 3 years ago

NixonTheGrouch

Section 9
1155 posts
Joined 11/2008

i'd be happy to bet that my 70/30's are closer to 55/45.

Assuming we're talking about over a large enough sample for the numbers to converge, I highly doubt this is true. You're either doing better than you think or misjudging your equity.

I've been playing hu plo sng's and the hands people stack off are a joke but somehow they always win.

I know how swingy HUNL is, so I can only imagine how bad HU PLO would be (which explains how I made the finals in the DC HU PLO tournament). If you're going to play PLO, you'll need to get over your tilt. Variance is why there is money in poker.

i have huge fe over what these idiots stack off.

If you're saying you have fold equity over what they're calling with, it sounds like you're not judging your fold equity correctly.

Posted over 3 years ago

"GLUIPERIG"

1607 posts
Joined 01/2011

hey Gluiperig, i've been playing regularly for about a year but casually for about 4/5, i totally accept that tilting is a massive leak and can swallow those losses but when i think im playing my a game and still coming up short thats when it's really hard to handle.

hey tubasteve, done 2 vid reviews but no sweats so far.

But the thing is is that this whole thread is about you tilting. It's even in this post..."when i think im playing my a game and still coming up short thats when it's really hard to handle." This game is as much emotionally mental as it is analytically mental. If you have a solid analytical game, then you really have to work on the other part.

Also, I agree with Stuey...you're playing HU PLO SNG's...talk about varience!!!

Posted over 3 years ago

BaseMetal

2170 posts
Joined 01/2010

yI try and do everything right, utilizing position, controlling the pot oop, planning streets ahead, putting my opponent on a range and what i'm representing, analysing game flow etc. but still end up losing when i get my money in good or never hitting my massive draw when above all else i have huge fe over what these idiots stack off. Totally disillusioned by it all and it's soul crushing to boot.

If you are doing all this correctly you should pat yourself on the back. At the early stages of learning to play just don't worry about the money. If you play the micros, and are playing moderately, the most you can lose is a few dollars and if you are learning it is worth the money. Decide why you are playing this game - is it for enjoyment, or to want to become good at it? If the later just keep learning and try to do it as fast/efficiently as you can. To learn you have to take particular care of what is happening on a table and beginners invariably try to start up 3 or 4 tables "to build a roll". Sod the roll, you can learn an awful lot at the micros, they are difficult to beat as you have found, and they are very cheap/safe places to learn. When you can confidently use the traits of the micro players against themselves start thinking of moving to the next level and repeat the same process.
If you are getting pounded by bad luck - handling it is a really good lesson to learn and learning this at the micros is actually incredibly lucky.
Over the next few months don't try to measure you progress by your winnings or losses but rather by how much you are learning, not just a few moves but the process that makes these moves good.
Poker is simply a long run game, if stretches of bad luck affect you proper game too much you can create a feedback that will stop you ever winning - think for the long term, if you have been getting it in ahead but losing, so what, keep going and eventually good decisions will pay off.
Re-watch a lot of the videos, beginners do miss a lot of the content and context of the game first time through. Post a lot of tricky/problem hand histories and post replies to others. By replying to others you can match your thought processes to other replies and the more experienced will correct any misconceptions you have in difficult situations - this is a bit like free coaching.
The fastest way to learn is usually to play only 1 table per session, make the sessions short and concentrate on everything that happens.
I don't usually play much cash but I can just about squeeze a profit from the micros but oddly I don't really care about the couple of dollars per 1000 hands I just hope some day to be rather good at playing poker and if this ever happens I should be able then to easily get money from the game, at the moment I am still on the steep learning curve.

Posted over 3 years ago

Joe Tall

6695 posts
Joined 11/2006

Thanks Nix!

Beers on me at the Aria Home Game this week...

Rotweiler,

You have lots of great advice in this thread. I can also recommend WiltOnTilt's The Haj School and threads13's Tolerance

-Joe

Posted over 3 years ago

HomePoker ForumsGeneral Poker Discussion → been a member for 6 months and still a loser