General Poker Discussion Poker Forums

Page 3: Tilt control

or track by Email or RSS

BadAstronaut

53 posts
Joined 01/2009

I play pretty much exclusively PLO and PLO8 - does TiltBuster work with these? (I find that for so much stuff, NLHE is the assumed norm).

With regards to the Chimp book, reading the reviews it seems to have some very good stuff but is also so metaphor and analogy heavy that it can all get a bit confusing and even at times rolls-eyes-ingly patronising. I don't know if that would work for my particular mental make-up... What say you to this, sir?

Posted over 2 years ago

MayContainNuts

318 posts
Joined 03/2010

I play pretty much exclusively PLO and PLO8 - does TiltBuster work with these? (I find that for so much stuff, NLHE is the assumed norm).

With regards to the Chimp book, reading the reviews it seems to have some very good stuff but is also so metaphor and analogy heavy that it can all get a bit confusing and even at times rolls-eyes-ingly patronising. I don't know if that would work for my particular mental make-up... What say you to this, sir?

I would say: Duuuude? You seem to have given some credibility to the negative review that reads like it was written by Stuey out of Family Guy.

"A slightly wicked part of me suspected that this book was produced just before the 2012 Olympics in order to mislead foreign cycling teams into passing around bananas and picking fleas off each other in a mistaken attempt to improve their performances. Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the chimp metaphor had spread like wildfire throughout the cycling world, what with hooting chimp bike horns, furry chimp toestraps and banana-shaped bicycle pumps."

give the man a stand up tour.

It is analogy heavy, but if it wasn't it would be a dry text about the reptilian brain and no one would read it or take its message. I agree, giving your chimp a name is fairly patronising. But, like the rest of the book, it's reasonably light-hearted.

Saying that, it's not like I'm his publicist or I'm advocating everyone should read it. Just found it interesting.

Posted over 2 years ago

BadAstronaut

53 posts
Joined 01/2009

Heh, I didnt read that review at all. That's the first I saw of that stuff... Smile

Posted over 2 years ago

MI5 Mark

2100 posts
Joined 06/2011

Recognise the signs of tilt (seems like you know this) and quit, go for a break.

If you can't quit tighten up your ranges, until its diminished. (but learn to quit)

Posted over 2 years ago

dash

111 posts
Joined 02/2010

** I play on stars and detached all the chat windows on my tables, merged all the windows into one, then dragged the chat window below my task bar. To get to the window, I had to change windows taskbar settings (a pain in the ass) as I couldn't click it to drag it back up to type in the windows. A bit extreme, I know, and slightly embarrassing that I felt the need to do this. . . but hey, it worked. . .

An easier way to achieve this is to click on options at the top right of the table. Click on Dealer Messages>>Silent and then un-tick the 'Show player messages' box below.

Stars will then save this preference for future tables.

Posted over 2 years ago

nawhead

2485 posts
Joined 10/2009

Recognise the signs of tilt (seems like you know this) and quit, go for a break.

If you can't quit tighten up your ranges, until its diminished. (but learn to quit)

it's just as easy to spew even if we tighten up. it's more like slowing the bleeding instead of stopping it.

to OP, learn to quit. it'll save you tons of money and sanity in the long run.

How to do it:
for 2 weeks straight, make your top priority be making a good quit. set up a timer before every session, and once the timer's up, you're done. regardless. doesn't matter if the biggest fish in the history of poker is sitting with a deep stack on your right. no ifs ands or buts. if you made a good quit, you accomplished your goal for the day. good quit = successful session.

once you learn this, you can re-prioritize your learning goals.

but learn to quit first.

Posted over 2 years ago

MI5 Mark

2100 posts
Joined 06/2011

it's just as easy to spew even if we tighten up. it's more like slowing the bleeding instead of stopping it.

to OP, learn to quit. it'll save you tons of money and sanity in the long run.

And set a stop loss!

Posted over 2 years ago

HomePoker ForumsGeneral Poker Discussion → Tilt control