Small Stakes Shorthanded NL Poker Forums

AA gets raised on flop on draw heavy board

or track by Email or RSS

MG19

9 posts
Joined 03/2015

I played this hand on nl 100 a few days ago and was really confused on what to do first on the flop. and next if folding turn is better? It's a really draw heavy board an even though the player could have all the sets i also think he could 3bet them. Especially 1010 (and 99 maybe half of the time?) im pretty certain he would squeeze in this spot pre. So not sure if i should reraise his raise or just call the flop raise

The villains stats looked like this over 222 hands

Vpip: 24 Pfr: 22 AF: 4,44 3bet%: 12 Squezze%: 12

the action goes as following:

Seat 1: blckjckflush ($148.86 in chips)
Seat 2: hob111111 ($119.82 in chips)
Seat 3: Hero ($143.06 in chips)
Seat 4: kvitun ($144.06 in chips)
Seat 5: bbalazs23 ($100 in chips)
Seat 6: treidei3 ($113.50 in chips)
bbalazs23: posts small blind $0.50
treidei3: posts big blind $1
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Hero [ASpade AHeart]
blckjckflush: folds
hob111111: folds
Hero: raises to $3
kvitun: calls $3
bbalazs23: folds
treidei3: calls $2

*** FLOP *** [7Club TSpade 9Club]

treidei3: checks
Hero: bets $6
kvitun: folds
treidei3: raises to $22.60
Hero: calls $16.60

*** TURN *** [7Club TSpade 9Club] [3Club]

treidei3: bets $17.22
Hero: calls $17.22

*** RIVER ***[7Club TSpade 9Club] [3Club][6Heart]

treidei3: bets $70.68 and is all-in
Hero: folds
Uncalled bet ($70.68) returned to treidei3
treidei3 collected $86.64 from pot
treidei3: doesn't show hand

Posted 5 months ago

threads13

3325 posts
Joined 03/2008

Getting raised with overpairs on this flop is one of those spots that can make us feel pretty uncomfortable. When you don't have a FD on the turn you just have to fold. There's just so many value combos that you are drawing dead against now (sets, flushes) and he probably doesn't have any value combos that you are ahead of. That leaves the bluffs as the only hands you have equity against. The hands that come to mind are QJ, KJ, KQ, but probably most, if not all, of those need to be suited to be in his flatting range. That gives 3 combos of each, and some of them flat the flop. Even if you count them all that's 9 combos of bluffs vs 12 combos of value hands. When you try to discount this a bit to factor in that he is more likely to play 77 this way than KQ it starts to get pretty dicey when there is still one street to play.

Posted 5 months ago

MG19

9 posts
Joined 03/2015

thanks for the answer. Would it be bad to get it in here on the flop against an aggro reg in your opinion if we discount all 1010 and 99?

and i assume if the flush doesn't hit and a complete blank hit, like a 2Spade for instance we just call and if another blank hit river would you call it off here if we assume the player is pretty aggro? or how should we navigate in that spot?

Posted 5 months ago

threads13

3325 posts
Joined 03/2008

Typically it is bad. I don't think you can safely discount those hands. When you get it in here you are just going to be up vs sets and combo draws.

The other stuff is just hard... I would typically want to XC bricks, sure... but I also check this hand on the flop a lot because going down this path is low EV and our checking range is weak so this hand is good to balance, and we can induce a lot of bluffs by checking because our perceived range is so weak here

Posted 5 months ago

MG19

9 posts
Joined 03/2015

I agree on your thoughts of checking back some AA in this spot and I do it myself sometimes but would rather like to do it with a club in my hand because i really feel like AA without a club is vulnerable (especially in a 3way pot) and having the club is kind of nice when a club hits turn but thanks for your input. definitely useful Smile

Posted 5 months ago

threads13

3325 posts
Joined 03/2008

Without a club is vulnerable if you bet and get action (even if you are only called). You probably only have like 50% equity once a club hits. You want to build the pot when you are more likely to win.

Posted 5 months ago

HomePoker ForumsSmall Stakes Shorthanded NL → AA gets raised on flop on draw heavy board