Poker Video: No Limit Hold'Em by sthief09 (Micro/Small Stakes)

Hold'em Helper: Episode One

This video is a two minute preview. To view the entire video, please Log In or Sign Up Now
Get the Flash Player to see this player.

Hold'em Helper: Episode One by sthief09

For the premiere, Sthief09 and DeucesCracked member, Justin, review some interesting and difficult hands Justin recently encountered.

About Hold'em Helper Subscribe to

Need help on your hold'em game? This season, DeucesCracked members will drive the content. sthief09 will help members by reviewing interesting HHs, frustrating sessions, and recent databases in order to help you, the members improve. Please post or PM your request in the first weeks of the season to get your requests on video!

Tags

nlhe sthief09 hand replayer ipod friendly hh review hold'em helper

Video Details

• Game: nlhe
  • Stakes: Micro/Small Stakes
  • 46 minutes long
  • Posted about 2 years ago

Downloads

Premium Subscribers can download high-quality, DRM-free videos in multiple formats.

Comments for Hold'em Helper: Episode One

or track by Email or RSS

sthief09

2961 posts
Joined 07/2007

I see yours logic in call turn and bluff river when checked to sthief, but I asume if you call turn, you're always calling a river shove getting 2:1?

Thanks..

I usually don't like to do this, but my gut says that he won't bluff the river. My first thought was that the turn pairing would make him think that he could chase us off mediocre 1 pair hands, possibly including TP. our turn call should be pretty strong and we'll be getting pretty good pot odds against a river shove. if he bets a river undercard it feels strong to me.

lots of assumptions there. it's dicey.

Posted about 2 years ago

sthief09

2961 posts
Joined 07/2007

Something to consider doing here is min betting ...... I know it sounds horribly fishy but that's kind of the point. You might get marked as a fish instantly by some people which is of huge value to you later. Also, you really don't expect to get money from this hand unless he spazs out, and you aren't worried about any rivers, so your bet size isn't really of critical importance here. Min bets piss some people off and theyll randomly check raise you here to some stupidly small amount like $20 which is great for us... more value plus some metagame / image benefits.

I remember lolotrickedu, who won millions and millions pre-UIGEA, would occasionally minbet but iirc he did it out of position. my only point is that it's good to try things out like this. just because no one else does it doesn't make it wrong. it's not something I do but thanks for the idea. I may play around with it in spots like this. it has a lot of the same merits as betting 1/4 pot.

Posted about 2 years ago

SnappieVouz

2610 posts
Joined 03/2009

I never went anywhere Smile

I try to have as wide a target audience as possible. I'm not sure how the stakes will vary for the series yet, but usually they tend to span 25NL-200NL, maybe 10NL as that seems to be a popular game among members on the forums.

Cool. How is this series going to be different then Search and destroy? I see you are going to analyze databases and do hand reviews.

haha I must have been away then. I thought it was a while ago since you made a series. Search and destroy the latest one.

Posted about 2 years ago

Allermand_DK

953 posts
Joined 11/2008

I usually don't like to do this, but my gut says that he won't bluff the river. My first thought was that the turn pairing would make him think that he could chase us off mediocre 1 pair hands, possibly including TP. our turn call should be pretty strong and we'll be getting pretty good pot odds against a river shove. if he bets a river undercard it feels strong to me.

lots of assumptions there. it's dicey.

Under which assumptions you thinks that he won't bluff river? Wink To me in Villians shoes, it's a pretty good spot to 3br All-in epecially if we are inknown to eachother. He also seems pretty agro OTR and WTSD is 24% not that high.

Thanks..

Posted about 2 years ago

Allermand_DK

953 posts
Joined 11/2008

Time Link to 00:36:05

I like the shove, because it protects heros equity and denying Villian to make a correct call OTT and correct fold OTR.

Posted about 2 years ago

Prologion

2093 posts
Joined 03/2010

Firsthand (AQs):
agree with those who said that checking back is best.
I just think it is best for maybe your actual range (if you flat pre sometimes KK and hands like 99, TT) and also for your perceived range which should include often the mentioned hands when you check back OTT.
The thing is that you have perceived no air by taking your choosen line and hence you cannot rly got called by worse...

Alternatively, you can underbet to protect your PotEQ like Josh has adviced.
But technically it is imo pretty clear that a xb OTT is >>> all and certainly much better than a jam.

@preflop:
It is not a spot where you can check his average SQZ-stats and go from there b/c with those posis most ppl certainly do not sqz light.
Also there is still a coldcaller behind you who will in a decent %-tage have a hand to backjam over (depending on your tendencies).
I know AQs is a beautiful hand to call, but imo not in this spot -> when you think you get eough folds combined with you EQ, then I would jam here - otherwise a fold is weak, but with those posis imo legit...

Posted about 2 years ago

sthief09

2961 posts
Joined 07/2007

Firsthand (AQs):
agree with those who said that checking back is best.
I just think it is best for maybe your actual range (if you flat pre sometimes KK and hands like 99, TT) and also for your perceived range which should include often the mentioned hands when you check back OTT.
The thing is that you have perceived no air by taking your choosen line and hence you cannot rly got called by worse...

Alternatively, you can underbet to protect your PotEQ like Josh has adviced.
But technically it is imo pretty clear that a xb OTT is >>> all and certainly much better than a jam.

I wonder if this is a spot where we can even bet something like 5 or 10% pot.

@preflop:
It is not a spot where you can check his average SQZ-stats and go from there b/c with those posis most ppl certainly do not sqz light.
Also there is still a coldcaller behind you who will in a decent %-tage have a hand to backjam over (depending on your tendencies).
I know AQs is a beautiful hand to call, but imo not in this spot -> when you think you get eough folds combined with you EQ, then I would jam here - otherwise a fold is weak, but with those posis imo legit...

yeah I think you're absolutely correct.

Posted about 2 years ago

Prologion

2093 posts
Joined 03/2010

I wonder if this is a spot where we can even bet something like 5 or 10% pot.

yeah,
I rly think that this is such a spot b/c Villain cannot do much bout it (we have perceived overall a pretty strong range there) and it is hard in this spot to get value anyways, once he checked...

Posted about 2 years ago

Sillygoose87

85 posts
Joined 08/2011

Time Link to 00:44:42

Could you explain this comment: "He's lost the ability to bluff so I don't think he's making any thin value bets"

When turn goes check/check and we check the river does that not invite thin value bet us? We kind of don't have many very strong hands in our check/call flop check turn check river range. I'd imagine this invites both bluffs and thin value bets since villain will consider himself rarely behind.

Am I misreading the situation?

Posted about 2 years ago

sthief09

2961 posts
Joined 07/2007

Could you explain this comment: "He's lost the ability to bluff so I don't think he's making any thin value bets"

When turn goes check/check and we check the river does that not invite thin value bet us? We kind of don't have many very strong hands in our check/call flop check turn check river range. I'd imagine this invites both bluffs and thin value bets since villain will consider himself rarely behind.

Am I misreading the situation?

Well maybe it's presumptuous of me to say that. The reality is we don't have any specific reads. There's always the possibility that villain tries to level hero ("he knows that I shouldn't bluff so I'm going to") but I doubt it. He should expect to get looked up.

I guess it depends how thin is thin. I wouldn't consider KJ to be a thin value bet. maybe QQ can make a thin value bet. Anything worse is probably value cutting itself. It's not an attractive spot to bluff because hero's range is pretty clearly defined as something with showdown value and villain's range is mostly capped around those very same hands. I think in theory, his overall bet% should be low mostly because of his range.

Posted almost 2 years ago

opal

2 posts
Joined 10/2008

Time Link to 00:36:20

What do you guys think about overbet on the flop? like 30. i mean i just dont see this guy folding any pair/draw to just one bet.... so i think this would do the trick )

Posted about 1 year ago

sthief09

2961 posts
Joined 07/2007

What do you guys think about overbet on the flop? like 30. i mean i just dont see this guy folding any pair/draw to just one bet.... so i think this would do the trick )

I would be ok with overbetting if the SPR were a bit deeper and pot-pot-pot couldn't get us all-in. I'd also prefer doing it with AT or T9 since we have blockers to top or 2nd pair.

Posted about 1 year ago

HomePoker ForumsSmall Stakes Shorthanded NL → Hold'em Helper : Episode One