Poker Video: SNG by AMT (Micro/Small Stakes)

Last Man Standing: Episode Two

This video is a two minute preview. To view the entire video, please Log In or Sign Up Now
Get the Flash Player to see this player.

Last Man Standing: Episode Two by AMT

AMT walks through the basic parts of the middle game of SNG play. Considerations of adjustment, stack size implications, what to do when there are no "absolutes", when to start thinking about shoving, and more about middle game insights.

About Last Man Standing Subscribe to

Join Alex Triner (AMT), our expert SNG/STT coach as he takes you though the soup to nuts of online SNG/STT play. Starting with early level play, bubble play and moving on to Independent Chip Modeling (ICM) calculations -- all you need to know to get started crushing SNG/STTs online.

Tags

amt sng stt middle stage play ipod friendly powerpoint last man standing

Video Details

• Game: sng
  • Stakes: Micro/Small Stakes
  • 71 minutes long
  • Posted over 6 years ago

Downloads

Premium Subscribers can download high-quality, DRM-free videos in multiple formats.

Comments for Last Man Standing: Episode Two

or track by Email or RSS

aimar08pl

5 posts
Joined 09/2008

that 99 shove from UTG at 43:00, I agree that it's a shove but when I put it into the wiz, the edge number is so big that wiz says it's a fold.. With the ranges I put, shoving is +0.5 but the edge number is 0.9.. What should I do with this number?

Posted over 6 years ago

swalke1888

1 posts
Joined 09/2008

I hate to sound so ignorant but what is FPS...and where can i find a resource to provide the basics that are needed to communicate efficiently with you coaches.

thanks

Posted over 6 years ago

Entity

8667 posts
Joined 11/2006

I hate to sound so ignorant but what is FPS...and where can i find a resource to provide the basics that are needed to communicate efficiently with you coaches.

thanks

FPS = Fancy Play Syndrome.

Not sure what you mean by the rest -- are you looking for something that lists common phrases used on our site like FPS, etc? Like a poker dictionary of sorts?

Posted over 6 years ago

tubasteve

7647 posts
Joined 11/2007

FPS = Fancy Play Syndrome.

Not sure what you mean by the rest -- are you looking for something that lists common phrases used on our site like FPS, etc? Like a poker dictionary of sorts?

http://www.twoplustwo.com/acronyms.html

booyah, googled "poker acronyms" Poke Tongue

Posted over 6 years ago

Mark Fury

1 posts
Joined 11/2008

Outstanding video series. Just applying the AK/AQ lessons from the first video and lessons learned from this one, I've seen marked improvement and results in $10 sng's. Thanks for the work!

Posted about 6 years ago

Jbird

9 posts
Joined 01/2009

vandweller

474 posts
Joined 12/2008

his voice is annoying

Your post is valuable.

Posted almost 6 years ago

brainarts

113 posts
Joined 04/2009

really nice video. i really like your indeep discussions on every hand and your theory with powerpoint before that. your videos are more valuable than many other videos from the SNG sites , such as sitngogrinders. I think watching a pro playing a high buyin SNG doesnt help low-mid stakes grinders that much.

Posted over 5 years ago

moldovan89

28 posts
Joined 10/2009

Time Link to 00:45:02

Hey AMT, this move really amazed me, because for me that was an easy fold, for what I heared in others materials, I heard some stuff like utg play TT+ AK and smtimes AQs, I had always fold 99, 88 in that position with even 9bb and ante present and even shorter, I am confused about this

Posted about 5 years ago

AMT

2036 posts
Joined 01/2008

Hey AMT, this move really amazed me, because for me that was an easy fold, for what I heared in others materials, I heard some stuff like utg play TT+ AK and smtimes AQs, I had always fold 99, 88 in that position with even 9bb and ante present and even shorter, I am confused about this

If you're this tight then you're definitely missing value. 88 and 99 are very strong hands. Sometimes we might be in difficult most flop situations in SNGs with them, but really, especially when discussing what is largely a preflop game, they're going to hold even more value than in other games. At the low level SNGs people are capable of calling the types of shoves you describe with hands like 22-77/A6/KT/etc... type holdings, and with the money to be had in the pot already, we're just so often winning the pot uncontested or getting called by a worse hand that it's too profitable not to stick it in most of the time, *especially* with 9-10bb with ante's, but even without. If you run some simulations with similar situations I think it might help better understand what I am stressing here.

I would even go so far as to say that, with a reasonable understanding of SNG play and a certain comfort level with post flop play, that you can profitably raise 88 and 99 UTG in the 1st couple of levels of a SNG. You'll often find me raising all of my pairs from any position for a few other reasons as well when deeper.

Posted about 5 years ago

urinpain

292 posts
Joined 08/2009

I'd consider 88 shipping here pretty close if we are that "deep", don't you?

Posted about 5 years ago

moldovan89

28 posts
Joined 10/2009

Wow, this stuff is really good, I found a lot of missing value spots with HEM filters and sngWIZ, I am surprised how much value I missed there. I ran some situations in WIz and some pushes are slightly -EV, should I still take that spots, or I should consider what players are in the blinds? there are some spots with 77 in MP with like 11bb and from utg 77 with like 8bb and with 88 utg 10bb that I think now as good spots, the difference is close to 0.

Posted about 5 years ago

moldovan89

28 posts
Joined 10/2009

I have another leak in my game in early levels. When there are limpers 1,2, 3 or whatever, let's say I have AQ in mid pos and there are 2 limpers, I usually make a standard raise like 3.5bb or from late position with say 4 limpers with AJ or AT I still make a standard raise and if I fit I go for stacks and if I miss I let go, I do the same with p.pairs. I don't think this is the optimal play. Can you give me an insight about this?

Posted about 5 years ago

AMT

2036 posts
Joined 01/2008

I have another leak in my game in early levels. When there are limpers 1,2, 3 or whatever, let's say I have AQ in mid pos and there are 2 limpers, I usually make a standard raise like 3.5bb or from late position with say 4 limpers with AJ or AT I still make a standard raise and if I fit I go for stacks and if I miss I let go, I do the same with p.pairs. I don't think this is the optimal play. Can you give me an insight about this?

Assuming we're talking about the first two or so levels (speaking for pokerstars and probably FTP structures also), make your raise sizing based on the # of limpers/amount of money in the pot. If its 10/20 blinds and you raise to 80 over 1 limper and to 80 over 3 limpers, it's not good. Make this a dynamic process for yourself where you're adding at least 1 bb per limper over your standard open.
I'd say in the earliest levels you can just fold AJ and AT preflop, unless opening the pot in very late position, or bvb vs small opens and bad players, etc.... There are more times that you can do things like isolate in position and limp behind with them but I'd save those spots for when you're more comfortable with your post flop play. It's not where most of our profits in these games come from anyways (refer back to episode 1 for more on this). With AQ you can argue for limping behind limpers in 1st 1 or 2 levels of a SNG but I prefer not to do this and I think raising for value over weak limps is fine. Can't always play 'fit or fold' in raised pots though; fish often just check/fold if they miss or are so predictable if they check/snap call some random flop and a big over card turns that makes it so likely they'll fold to two barrels. Just take time in your play to take note of when fish seem to be weak, what situations they seem to shut down easily on, etc... so you can better gauge when to be cbetting and bluffing. Watching videos will of course aid in this process, as will posting hands and discussing with other grinders. Good luck!

Posted about 5 years ago

moldovan89

28 posts
Joined 10/2009

hey AMT, I just changed the type of sng to shorthanded 5max the action is only 5 handed, it takes a lot of postflop play here and playing on low blinds more hands. That's my problem I have some leaks here.. at full ring I knew exactly what I have to do, but here is total different stuff. What hands I should play at early levels, in non- pus/fold period? And what you believe that is the most efficient way to improve my postflop play and my deeper kind of heads up, should I learn the Nash equilibrium strategy with this poor kind of players? What other adjustments do you think I should make? Some thoughts about this will be very helpful!

Posted about 5 years ago

HomePoker ForumsTournament Poker → Last Man Standing : Episode Two