or track by Email or RSS

aceindj

34 posts
Joined 01/2011

Hi, I am a noob of HU

I have a problem when I am out of position

I always raise preflop when I am on the button

but I have no idea how to play pre-flop when I am out of position

when i have medium strength hand, which is too strong to fold but too weak to 3bet, I usually call.

For example, my opponent raise and I call with A4s.

The problem is when I miss the flop, it is hard to continue the game.

Yeah, it is hit-to-win style. Worst playing style in HU

I know that call is for expert. do you guys think i have to tighten up my style?

3bet or fold rather than call?

yes.. i have no post-flop skill.

please give me suggestion thanks

Posted almost 3 years ago

WaLkOfLiFe

103 posts
Joined 10/2008

I am not sure I am going to give you the answer you are looking for, but I will try and explain a few things about OOP and the options you have. Firstly I don't recommend 3b or folding from the BB. At some point if you wish to improve you need to dive in and have a go at playing OOP, and there is no better way to learn than through experience.

I will use the A4s hand you mentioned in a made up hand to give u an example:
(I will use 100NL for the sake of round numbers)

Hero ($100)
Villain ($100) Reads: (60 hand sample) SBvpip:89/BBvpip:49/3B:15/flop CB:87/Turn CB:54/WTSD:23

Hero/BB $1.00 As4s
Villain/SB $0.50 (pot $3)

Villain/SB raises $2.50 to $3
Hero/BB calls $2

*FLOP* Kd 9s 4d (pot $6)
Hero/BB checks
Villain/SB bets $4
Hero/BB?
Hero's Options:
Vs a Villain who is CB often while mostly str8 forward and not applying much pressure on the turn Hero could opt for a ck-call in hopes of showing down.

Vs Villains who are also CB often but applying more pressure on the turn with various hands that have even the slightest bit of equity, Hero could opt for a ck-raise planning to barrel diamonds/spades/4 or A, knowing if he ck-calls hes likely going to be folding a good % of the time/unable to showdown.

The stats of Villain in this HH indicate that he is CB tons, barreling pretty often, but he is not going to show down a lot. Those 3 tendencies could lean your play toward ck-raising, knowing you can probably bluff him off a lot of hands if a diamond comes given his low showdown. You have some disguised equity with the backdoor fd + trip/Ace outs, and given that his CB is so high you likely have a decent amount of fold equity on the flop itself, and your hopes of showing down are going to lead to a lot of pretty difficult decisions on later streets.

This HH is meant more for you to explore your options oppose to playing each hand a certain way all the time. Try your best to predict different outcomes on later streets based on your opponents tendencies/ranges on different board textures. Having a plan as to how u want to proceed will make u feel less overwhelmed, even if some of your reads/plans are flat out wrong it's totally ok and you will get better at it with practice. Learn to trust yourself knowing that eventually majority of your decisions/plans will be solid.

Not sure I answered the question that well, but if you have more I will try and help as much as I can Smile

GOOD LUCK!

aceindj

34 posts
Joined 01/2011

WalkofLife//Thank you very much! your advise is perfect!! especially using CB/WTSD ( I had no idea how to use WTSD before seeing your posting)

I am just wondering whether I can use ur CB/WTSD method in 6max or not.

Thank you for your comment Smile

WaLkOfLiFe

103 posts
Joined 10/2008

WalkofLife//Thank you very much! your advise is perfect!! especially using CB/WTSD ( I had no idea how to use WTSD before seeing your posting)

I am just wondering whether I can use ur CB/WTSD method in 6max or not.

Thank you for your comment Smile

The same concept will apply in 6max, but the numbers will be different from HU compared to 6max Smile

HomePoker ForumsHeads Up NL → Preflop call at out of position?