Poker Video: No Limit Hold'Em by Grindcore (Mid Stakes)

The Thin Red Grind: Episode Five

This video is a two minute preview. To view the entire video, please Log In or Sign Up Now
Get the Flash Player to see this player.

The Thin Red Grind: Episode Five by Grindcore

Grindcore reviews a 4-tabling session at 200NL.

About The Thin Red Grind Subscribe to

Grindcore brings his talents back to the DeucesCracked video lineup. Theory and live sweats from 50NL to 400NL.

Tags

grindcore the thin red grind 200nl $1/2 200 nl

Video Details

• Game: nlhe
  • Stakes: Mid Stakes
  • 65 minutes long
  • Posted almost 4 years ago

Downloads

Premium Subscribers can download high-quality, DRM-free videos in multiple formats.

Comments for The Thin Red Grind: Episode Five

or track by Email or RSS

Prologion

2093 posts
Joined 03/2010

Yeah that seems more realistic. I'd assume he checks back KT or KJ on one street at some frequency so my numbers would be a bit lower, but I'd estimate him to be bluffing his air there maybe 50% of the time or so, as the river is a brick, but he also seems very aggro. But what I think his range is is a result of handreading, which you'll get better at over time. Understanding the actual thought process and being able to apply it yourself at the tables is way more important, as handreading is useless if you don't know what to do with it.

yeah,
sounds good to me^^

Posted almost 4 years ago

Antonio

15 posts
Joined 05/2010

Time Link to 00:26:50

Hey Grindcore,

In your video your saying it's better to check behind against a fish with a second pair type of hand for inducing a bluff. I'm a bit confused here because calling stations tend to call and not to bluff so isn't it better to just bet and get called by worse. In my experience if I check behind the fish will rarely bluff and if he does bluff it's a min bet so if I check behind I don't get much value I'm only giving him a free card.

Can you explain why it's better to check behind in this spot against a fish.

Grindcore

2383 posts
Joined 11/2008

Hey Grindcore,

In your video your saying it's better to check behind against a fish with a second pair type of hand for inducing a bluff. I'm a bit confused here because calling stations tend to call and not to bluff so isn't it better to just bet and get called by worse. In my experience if I check behind the fish will rarely bluff and if he does bluff it's a min bet so if I check behind I don't get much value I'm only giving him a free card.

Can you explain why it's better to check behind in this spot against a fish.

Fish do bluff. If you get a read on a fish that he doesn't, sure, cbet 2nd pair then. If you find that the average fish doesn't bluff, then cbet 2nd pair by default and only check it back when you obtain the read that they do bluff. Don't blindly take my (or anyone else's) word for stuff, only do what makes sense to you.

Prologion

2093 posts
Joined 03/2010

Time Link to 00:42:20

Table 1 - Q9s:
I can see your reasoning for checkingback here on the flop.
But with a HighcardFD IP vs a fish, I would be anyways tempted to bet, just to build a little bit the pot for a possible improvement on the turn (FutureEV).
Then on the turn you can unimproved depending on the turncard either barell or you have the option to take a freecard...
With your read that he can have here often air, I can see reasons for a checkback on the flop, but as yu said, this note is maybe here only some % true...

Prologion

2093 posts
Joined 03/2010

Time Link to 00:44:03

Table 1 - 99:
You think that he would checkback often on the flop with AJ here.
I personally would valuebet in his shoes AJ here, when the PFA is checking here to me - do you think that is too thin?
What would be in Villain`s spot here yours worst valuebettinghand on the flop?

Prologion

2093 posts
Joined 03/2010

If there are no fish at the table, what is the lowest pair you'd typically open from UTG? What about UTG+1? Thanks Grindcore - great video once again.

I hope it is ok and I may quote this question b/c it seems to be a very interesting one.

edit: time-link is missing so I give it manually:
Min. 48.40 -> 22 on Table 4.

Prologion

2093 posts
Joined 03/2010

Time Link to 01:02:31

Table 4 - QJs:
The thing is, do you also like to C/R in such a spot on the turn a set for example?
btw.,
that was another great part, imo.
Just cool to listen to your handreading-thought-processesSmile

Bluesjammin

96 posts
Joined 10/2010

I hope it is ok and I may quote this question b/c it seems to be a very interesting one.

edit: time-link is missing so I give it manually:
Min. 48.40 -> 22 on Table 4.

+1. Been on my mind lately too. Opening 22-55 from utg even when we have fish with position on us still seems not super profitable to me. They can play pretty well vs these hands by floating with all their junk that is mostly flipping with us pre and it makes alot of turns hard to barrel since we have so little equity most of the time. Seems like a spot where a loose passive naturally plays pretty well against us. I'd rather open a 56s/79s utg that I have more barrel options on turns. I guess we make enough from double barreling turn scare cards and getting multy way and set mining is always sexy.
Meh. Just some thts on my mind atm....

Prologion

2093 posts
Joined 03/2010

+1. Been on my mind lately too. Opening 22-55 from utg even when we have fish with position on us still seems not super profitable to me. They can play pretty well vs these hands by floating with all their junk that is mostly flipping with us pre and it makes alot of turns hard to barrel since we have so little equity most of the time. Seems like a spot where a loose passive naturally plays pretty well against us. I'd rather open a 56s/79s utg that I have more barrel options on turns. I guess we make enough from double barreling turn scare cards and getting multy way and set mining is always sexy.
Meh. Just some thts on my mind atm....

Yeah, i also tend to agree that it depends on the position of the fish when you hold 22-55 and are in UTG. (+ the fish should not be shorty).
For example when the fish is next to you in MP and then there are only aggr. REGs behind (who will also often isosqz the fish), then it seems as well too be very close to open here 22-55).
Maybe I would only prefer to open here 22-55 in UTG when
- the fish is in the blinds.
- the fish is in the BTN
- the fish is in the Co and the BTN pretty nitty

But I am not sure of all this thoughts so far^^

just4grind0r

168 posts
Joined 04/2010

Time Link to 00:19:18

hi all

upper right tab, 67s, what about valuebetting like 22$? i cant imagine he everfolds a 9x hand to this betsize

Posted over 3 years ago

Grindcore

2383 posts
Joined 11/2008

hi all

upper right tab, 67s, what about valuebetting like 22$? i cant imagine he everfolds a 9x hand to this betsize

Sure, but I think he's checkraising better more often than c/c worse. Also, I'm bet-folding, and an underbet might induce a bluff c/r occasionally. I very often underbet to maximize value, but I dont think this was a good spot for it. If I think he has more 9x than boats in his range, a larger bet is probably better anyway.

Posted over 3 years ago

just4grind0r

168 posts
Joined 04/2010

last question: you made the note that he lead TPTK 3way on 9high, does this note change anything if you had this before the hand?

Posted over 3 years ago

Grindcore

2383 posts
Joined 11/2008

Yes I'd be much more inclined to bet the river as it increases his top pair combos, and likely also makes him more straight forward and thus a bit less likely to go for a river c/r with a set.

Posted over 3 years ago

Pinko Panther

371 posts
Joined 04/2011

Time Link to 00:13:34

Question about AK bvb vs aggro: For the sake of balancing ranges bvb, since you started a limp strategy bvb in the previous orbit, wouldn't it be better to limp your entire range vs. an aggro player in the bb, thus getting value out of an aggro player who is likely to raise you?

Posted over 3 years ago

Pinko Panther

371 posts
Joined 04/2011

Time Link to 00:19:40

Isn't this kind of river a good reason to be raising the turn so that we can extract max value before the river gets ugly? Then again, being the type of TAG you described him as, there's a good chance he'd fold that hand on the turn anyway.

Posted almost 3 years ago

HomePoker ForumsMid Stakes Shorthanded NL → The Thin Red Grind : Episode Five