Micro Stakes Online NL Poker Forums

Set v Flush

or track by Email or RSS

Lafonseca18

14 posts
Joined 10/2014

Hi all,

I'm struggling in this spot. How do i play a set when theres a possible flush? I know it's player dependant but it's difficult to get a wide enough sample of hands at micro limits to know whether villain is capable of bluffing. I feel like folding to aggression loses value in the long-run but then perhaps i'm trying to talk myself into a bad call. The following hand is an example, i think i'd probably have been better XC the flop and Turn but i'd really like everyones advice on this hand (i don't think i played the hand particularly well) and playing sets vs draws in general.

Thanks in advance

PokerStars - $0.02 NL (6 max) - Holdem - 6 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

BB: 100 BB (VPIP: 27.32, PFR: 19.67, 3Bet Preflop: 2.90, Hands: 188)
Hero (UTG): 101 BB
MP: 86 BB (VPIP: 87.50, PFR: 6.25, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 16)
CO: 103 BB (VPIP: 21.19, PFR: 16.10, 3Bet Preflop: 4.44, Hands: 120)
BTN: 121 BB (VPIP: 20.00, PFR: 20.00, 3Bet Preflop: -, Hands: 5)
SB: 98 BB (VPIP: 75.00, PFR: 25.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 4)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has ASpade AClub

Hero raises to 3 BB, MP calls 3 BB, fold, fold, SB calls 2.5 BB, fold

Flop: (10 BB, 3 players) QDiamond ADiamond 8Diamond
SB checks, Hero bets 7 BB, MP calls 7 BB, fold

Turn: (24 BB, 2 players) 2Heart
Hero bets 12.5 BB, MP calls 12.5 BB

River: (49 BB, 2 players) 6Club
Hero checks, MP bets 63.5 BB and is all-in

Posted over 2 years ago

OMGitsWorm

0 posts
Joined 03/2016

I'm no expert an still learning online 6 max.

You can't really go by the sample size but because the Vilan doesn't have 100bb and isn't auto reloading I think Vilan looks loose passive pre so that type of players range can include all types of suited cards. Unless he flopped the nuts Kxd you would think he would try and build a pot on the turn or if he flopped a smaller flush he wouldn't want you calling incase a 4th diamond came.

I just think your hand is to strong to fold to an unknown when he jams the river. I think you played it fine and the check on the river could bluff catch all weaker hands and missed draws.

Posted over 2 years ago

threads13

3260 posts
Joined 03/2008

I like betting bigger on the turn and then shipping the river.

On a more general note, generally you want to assume that people won't make huge bets with weak hands..

Posted over 2 years ago

PembrokePro

0 posts
Joined 02/2012

I hate these spots! The way it's played he probably knows your not checking flush on the river so your hoping he has the set of 8's or maybe 6d6x(long shot)! I probably call because of this but was wondering would this be an easy fold with AQ?

Posted over 2 years ago

OMGitsWorm

0 posts
Joined 03/2016

I think AQ or a set of AA play the same. I don't think this vilian is having a set himself very often in this spot.

Posted over 2 years ago

R-a-p-id260

-1 posts
Joined 01/2016

I am too at the micros. I know you got not enough sample of hands from the opponents but if you have, bet bigger(4bb) by high vpip pre flop.
Flop: I would bet like 10bb to 16bb(over bet) to defend your hand against a bad caller(high vpip, playing fds false)
Turn: Also Close to potsize
River: Check, and wooow hard fold to a shove on the micros (I would call) Undecided

Posted over 2 years ago

HomePoker ForumsMicro Stakes Online NL → Set v Flush