General Poker Discussion Poker Forums

Page 2: How can I start eating super cheap?

or track by Email or RSS

underscoredark

332 posts
Joined 10/2009

Potatoes are pretty filling. Cabbage, white rice, sweat potatoes....

Oh, and there's always offal.

Posted over 8 years ago

ohjoy

431 posts
Joined 07/2008

kondor101

929 posts
Joined 02/2008

Skips are a great place to find cheap food, the ones at the back of the supermarkets are often full to the brim with edible stuff. Take a bit of broom handle along with you though as sometimes you have to battle the rats off a bit.

I do not advocate stealing as someone suggested earlier, but you can usually steal some land without anyone noticing. A packet of seeds and off you go! You can have cabbage growing behind your local library, cherry tomatoes growing in a tree or a ton of runner beans growing up a fence on some waste land.

You can learn how to snare a rabbit. It takes a bit of learning and if like me you live in a semi rural area you might have to put up with the odd angry fox that is a bit pissed at you for snaring him but I reckon even he could make a good burger or two if your really hungry, so he should count his blessings.

Fish! if it is good enough for Jesus then it is good enough for you! There is usually a bit of water around everyone. I used to fish the Mersey quite a lot and apart from the odd Mersey Goldfish caught on my line (used condom) it was quite a fun and kept me well fed.

Learn to complain. In particular learn the phrase "I am not paying for this shit!". It is amazing how quickly a restaurant will let you off with out paying when you start waving a great big ugly beetle around in a packed dinner. Obviously you need to travel a bit, I mean, you can not expect to keep getting served everyday in the same place if you keep waving a bug around every time your 70% of the way through your meal.

Hope some of this helped.

Kondor101 (due in hospital March 3rd to have half his guts removed).

Posted over 8 years ago

Mullanimal

309 posts
Joined 08/2008

$65 dollars a week is not a lot to spend on food as it is, i would love to be spending only $65 a week. You must be in deep shit if you can only spend $10 a week on food!!!

Posted over 8 years ago

Vodka&Water

340 posts
Joined 07/2009

For a single Guy $65 is plenty as long as you shop around and don't eat out.

Posted over 8 years ago

besthand17

200 posts
Joined 08/2008

Def chicken...you can do anything with it and season it differently every time. Cant go wrong with boxed pasta. Also, peanuts man...you need a snack food or something to hold you over until dinner, omg these are the nuts. They last forever and are a good source of protein.

Posted over 8 years ago

Mullanimal

309 posts
Joined 08/2008

I guess any sort of nuts almonds and that kind of stuff are cheap and healthy and can be bought in large quantities.

Agree you could survive on $65 a week never eating out, but you would definitely have to sacrifice a little on quality meat being part of your meals.

Posted over 8 years ago

underscoredark

332 posts
Joined 10/2009

Def chicken...you can do anything with it and season it differently every time. Cant go wrong with boxed pasta. Also, peanuts man...you need a snack food or something to hold you over until dinner, omg these are the nuts. They last forever and are a good source of protein.

I think that you mean: "omg these are the legumes".

Posted over 8 years ago

richsmoove

15 posts
Joined 08/2009

this post is crazy...i seriously just got back from wendys for lunch and i spent $12 on one meal...dont know how u stretched $10 so far.

Posted over 8 years ago

supsis

146 posts
Joined 05/2009

Making food is a good idea to cut costs.

For $20 you can make enough bread for a month.

Beans can go a long way. Sprout them first for extra goodness and less gas. Goodwill for the crockpot.

Brown rice. Definitely brown. A cup of BR, an onion, a clove a garlic and 2 eggs can feed 2 people full. Goodwill for the rice cooker.

Goya pasta. God bless NAFTRA. $1/pound retail.

Smart and Final/Costco rock for dairy, cans, rice and beans.

If you need fresh water, a 5 gal jug with a tap can be filled for $1.25 at most markets. No bottles.

Fishing is a great idea.

Any raw fruits and vegs. Carrots go a long way.

If you can avoid preservatives and sugars, this can be a very healthy diet.

Good luck, man...

Posted over 8 years ago

simpleme

1052 posts
Joined 07/2009

YUMMYBUFFET

574 posts
Joined 01/2008

my city has a food bank that gives free surplus foods, in practically unlimited amounts. you should look into that.

Posted over 8 years ago

richsmoove

15 posts
Joined 08/2009

my city has a food bank that gives free surplus foods, in practically unlimited amounts. you should look into that.

the line must be out of hand at that place!

Posted over 8 years ago

HighPockets

358 posts
Joined 06/2008

Buy a slow cooker. Then use it to make huge pots of stew, soup, beans, curries etc and store them in the freezer.

Slow cooking is awesome. It's easy. It's very tasty. It's nutritious, since the low cooking temperature preserves most of the nutrients in the food. And it can be cheap since a lot of cheap ingredients will tast great when slow cooked. E.g. you can use cheaper, tougher cuts of meat in stews since the long slow cooking process tenderizes it.

Posted over 8 years ago

HighPockets

358 posts
Joined 06/2008

Or alternatively, eat lots of rice and beans (You can bulk-buy them by the sack). And soups made from fresh veg are cheap and tasty.

Posted over 8 years ago

HomePoker ForumsGeneral Poker Discussion → How can I start eating super cheap?