General Poker Discussion Poker Forums

Page 32: Religion thread

or track by Email or RSS

improva

3911 posts
Joined 02/2008

Trying to prove the existence of god seems like such waste of time. Imo, there's nothing more absurd than a mathematical proof of god, and I don't follow the need for Reason to be satisfied in order for Faith to be. Especially since faith is essentially simple.

Au contraire mon ami. As long as people use religious arguments we must continue the search.

Posted about 7 years ago

improva

3911 posts
Joined 02/2008

(6 x 2) + 5 = 17 ... which means there must be a god

I think that's why these mathematical proof of God are so insanely complex, because if they were simple someone is going stop and think, what the hell does adding up a bunch of numbers have to do with the existence of God?

He may exist, he may not, but there is no sum in the world that can tell me the colour of someone's socks, so why should there be a sum that shows the existence of god?

Gödel and thermodynamics are actually pretty simple.

The best argument for the existence of a God is: There are some things we have not yet found an explanation for ergo there must be a God.

To be honest it worries me deeply that so many people take refuge in religion.

- If there is something in the universe we don't understand - for which there is a religious argument - do we then stop looking?

- If there is something in the universe we don't understand - for which there is a religious argument - do we then tell our children the truth? That we don't know? Or do we lie?

To me it seems paramount that we are honest about what we know and what we don't know. Doubt and curiosity got us this far. I don't see the point of introducing faith.

Posted about 7 years ago

Acombfosho

3147 posts
Joined 06/2008

I started this thread for amusement and it sure has brought that and more. I think that the more people discuss about what they believe they become uncomfortable about why they believe in such things. I think having this type of debate becomes positive for not only everyone in society but also the individual.

Having a belief about ANYTHING, be it routed in foundations or not, creates the current world that we all live in today. Questioning why we believe what we believe becomes important if we want to have a better future as a 'developed' society..

many people (myself included of course) have outrageous beliefs which neither serve them, nor the people who they associate with.

The world is controlled by belief systems - BS. Don't believe totally in anybody's BS. The second commandment is like unto the first: don't believe totally in your own BS. That's my message to the youth of the world.

Posted about 7 years ago

Chazb0t

1822 posts
Joined 01/2009

We should start a new religion and actually pray to the poker gods... We can sacrifice small animals and rain dance and whatnot... Maybe it will bring run good... I call dibs on being high templar or supreme warlord.

Posted about 7 years ago

Grindcore

2382 posts
Joined 11/2008

We should start a new religion and actually pray to the poker gods... We can sacrifice small animals and rain dance and whatnot... Maybe it will bring run good... I call dibs on being high templar or supreme warlord.

Dibs on poker god!

Posted about 7 years ago

Jyhani

721 posts
Joined 07/2010

Trying to prove the existence of god seems like such waste of time. Imo, there's nothing more absurd than a mathematical proof of god, and I don't follow the need for Reason to be satisfied in order for Faith to be. Especially since faith is essentially simple.

lol

Posted about 7 years ago

Chazb0t

1822 posts
Joined 01/2009

tHeBoYmUsTdIe

1530 posts
Joined 01/2010

So, what's the universe resting on? It's an enigma wrapped in a paradox shrouded in a mystery.

When you think about it, it's really messed up.

Posted about 7 years ago

improva

3911 posts
Joined 02/2008

So, what's the universe resting on? It's an enigma wrapped in a paradox shrouded in a mystery.

Is it a meaningful question? I can't see how we can answer questions related to something that per definition is outside the system we are a part of.

Posted about 7 years ago

Peesocake

948 posts
Joined 02/2007

Posted about 7 years ago

tHeBoYmUsTdIe

1530 posts
Joined 01/2010

Is it a meaningful question? I can't see how we can answer questions related to something that per definition is outside the system we are a part of.

I dunno but probably not. That 'void' is responsible for world religion though. So is God intuitive? I mean, he can not exist and still be intuitive...

I still think there is no good reason to believe that a 'god' is there or that anything is there for that matter. In fact, contemplating that everlasting nothingless makes my head spin. But it makes you at least sympathize with religious believers. They see that void as the Christian or Muslim or deist god (wrongly) and we see it as unknown/nothing meaningful.

But it's looming on both of us.

Posted about 7 years ago

Chazb0t

1822 posts
Joined 01/2009

I dunno but probably not. That 'void' is responsible for world religion though. So is God intuitive? I mean, he can not exist and still be intuitive...

I still think there is no good reason to believe that a 'god' is there or that anything is there for that matter. In fact, contemplating that everlasting nothingless makes my head spin. But it makes you at least sympathize with religious believers. They see that void as the Christian or Muslim or deist god (wrongly) and we see it as unknown/nothing meaningful.

But it's looming on both of us.

Western religions fear and associate negativity with the void and emptiness. Eastern religions welcome and embrace it.

Taoism:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tao_Te_Ching#Emptiness
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mu_(negative)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wuji_(philosophy)

Buddhism:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunyata

Posted about 7 years ago

Chazb0t

1822 posts
Joined 01/2009

I've been loosely following this thread, but if it starts getting more into Eastern religions I'm about to get a hell of a lot more interested. Poke Tongue

Posted about 7 years ago

Acombfosho

3147 posts
Joined 06/2008

improva

3911 posts
Joined 02/2008

HomePoker ForumsGeneral Poker Discussion → Religion thread