General Poker Discussion Poker Forums

Page 31: Religion thread

or track by Email or RSS

Stu_Ungar

57 posts
Joined 11/2010

you guys should check out chris langan's CTMU, if you can read it.

cognitive-theoretic model of the universe

background on langan, the man with the highest IQ on record

I started watching the first part of the video about Langan and his binary proof of God.

In the first few minutes something immediately stuck out at me.

hes says "I work in a bar".

Now there is nothing wrong with working in a bar.

But in this day and age, with the internet and communication as it is now there must be literally hundreds of thousands of people who know of Langan and what he is working on.

If he works in a bar, that means he cant get funding. If he cant get funding, that must mean that some pretty smart people have looked at what he is doing and shrugged it off as nonsense.

That in itself isnt proof that he is flogging a dead horse, but if he is as close as he claims to finishing.. why is there noone interested in funding him? A mathematical proof of God.. how much are the US far Christian Right spending on funding creationism? The money is there so why isnt he getting funding?

Posted about 7 years ago

tubasteve

7647 posts
Joined 11/2007

because he isn't an academic. he talks about academia in the videos and his distaste for the entire institution. plus the vids are older, before people knew who he was. i'm pretty sure he lives on a ranch somewhere in the midwest now with his uber-intelligent wife.

Posted about 7 years ago

Stu_Ungar

57 posts
Joined 11/2010

because he isn't an academic. he talks about academia in the videos and his distaste for the entire institution. plus the vids are older, before people knew who he was. i'm pretty sure he lives on a ranch somewhere in the midwest now with his uber-intelligent wife.

Maybe.

Im not even saying he isn't uber intelligent, just that in this day and age its odd that he isnt getting funding yet is working on something.

Posted about 7 years ago

mitch

2039 posts
Joined 01/2008

Maybe he should put up a loan request on Kiva.

Posted about 7 years ago

improva

3911 posts
Joined 02/2008

I never understood why it is so interesting to strive for completeness. It seems logical to me that since we are a part of the universe we can't expect to be able to develop a complete description. All we can hope to do is to learn as much as possible.

Regarding CTMU: The main problem is that it does not really change anything. No new results. It does not change math. It provides one explanation - but there does not seem to be a way to verify it. Philosophy is fun

Regarding Langan: He is very smart and I was surprised to learn that he found the language part easier than the rest of the test.

Posted about 7 years ago

tHeBoYmUsTdIe

1530 posts
Joined 01/2010

The thing about Langan is he claims that the CTMU is a mathematical proof, but many scientists and mathematicians who have read it say there is very little if any math in it at all.

Also his theory has not been well received, and the only journal that would publish it was--you guessed it--an intelligent design journal.

That combined with the fact that he obviously has a very bad attitude and we can see why he's not known for reasons beyond having the highest score on some IQ test (which, the rumour is, he took 3 separate times under pseudonyms).

Posted about 7 years ago

improva

3911 posts
Joined 02/2008

The thing about Langan is he claims that the CTMU is a mathematical proof, but many scientists and mathematicians who have read it say there is very little if any math in it at all.

Also his theory has not been well received, and the only journal that would publish it was--you guessed it--an intelligent design journal.

That combined with the fact that he obviously has a very bad attitude and we can see why he's not known for reasons beyond having the highest score on some IQ test (which, the rumour is, he took 3 separate times under pseudonyms).

You are so harsh Smile

Posted about 7 years ago

tHeBoYmUsTdIe

1530 posts
Joined 01/2010

You are so harsh Smile

I watched that video and I think he's an asshole lol

'A benign form of eugenics,' like really!?...guy's a dick.

He's smart though ok let's put him in charge of everything..ahem...Heil Langan!. Poke Tongue

Posted about 7 years ago

tubasteve

7647 posts
Joined 11/2007

i just think he's fascinating, i didn't mean to give the dude an endorsement per se.

Posted about 7 years ago

Stu_Ungar

57 posts
Joined 11/2010

I had a feeling this was going to be the case when I saw he wasnt getting funding.

Posted about 7 years ago

TecmoSuperBowl

Tribe Leader
5690 posts
Joined 01/2009

If I follow the logic correctly, I think it goes like this?

Langan = dick
Tuba = #1 fan of Langan
Therefore, Tuba = dick.

Can someone check my work?

Posted about 7 years ago

maglame

1015 posts
Joined 04/2010

If I follow the logic correctly, I think it goes like this?

Langan = dick
Tuba = #1 fan of Langan
Therefore, Tuba = dick.

Can someone check my work?

And because, as we know, for every action there is an opposite and equal reaction, Techmo must be a huge vagina.

Posted about 7 years ago

Peesocake

948 posts
Joined 02/2007

Trying to prove the existence of god seems like such waste of time. Imo, there's nothing more absurd than a mathematical proof of god, and I don't follow the need for Reason to be satisfied in order for Faith to be. Especially since faith is essentially simple.

Posted about 7 years ago

tHeBoYmUsTdIe

1530 posts
Joined 01/2010

Stu_Ungar

57 posts
Joined 11/2010

Trying to prove the existence of god seems like such waste of time. Imo, there's nothing more absurd than a mathematical proof of god..

(6 x 2) + 5 = 17 ... which means there must be a god

I think that's why these mathematical proof of God are so insanely complex, because if they were simple someone is going stop and think, what the hell does adding up a bunch of numbers have to do with the existence of God?

He may exist, he may not, but there is no sum in the world that can tell me the colour of someone's socks, so why should there be a sum that shows the existence of god?

Posted about 7 years ago

HomePoker ForumsGeneral Poker Discussion → Religion thread