General Poker Discussion Poker Forums

Page 22: DC Kiva Challenge!

or track by Email or RSS

TecmoSuperBowl

Tribe Leader
5690 posts
Joined 01/2009

was lazy doing this once cause they only accept paypal, but this thread got me and im glad Smile loading money on paypal to start loaning

Nice! Make sure to join the team!

Posted almost 6 years ago

stanmore

3959 posts
Joined 03/2010

ah ok, thanks Smile
going to join before I make my next loan

Also, you can drop a line to the admins on Kiva and ask them to attribute your previous loans to BI2Giving... Only takes a minute and they're happy to do it. Smile

stanmore

3959 posts
Joined 03/2010

New one today. A Rwandan Lady to get goods to sell.

Luke00016

1170 posts
Joined 11/2009

So many 'srs bzns' threads going on right now. DC Kiva Challenge needed a bump.

Eight new loans made all around the world supporting local businesses. That puts us over $27,000 loaned, which is pretty amazing!

TecmoSuperBowl

Tribe Leader
5690 posts
Joined 01/2009

Wow. Who thought we'd be creeping up on 30k!?

NixonTheGrouch

Section 9
1155 posts
Joined 11/2008

http://www.kiva.org/team/BuyInToGiving/graphs I just looked at the country graph. Peru had some serious rungood in 2011.

Luke00016

1170 posts
Joined 11/2009

Bump for 7 new loans.

Kiva recently starting working with microlenders in India - one of the largest populations in the world. They had trouble because of India's laws, which require non-government loans to have a minimum repayment of three years. So, I won't see that loan back in a while, but that's alright!

Also made loans to help people go to college, start new businesses, and do home improvements.

stanmore

3959 posts
Joined 03/2010

LOL at the home improvements! but nice on the college etc. Poke Tongue

stanmore

3959 posts
Joined 03/2010

I just made a loan to a borrower in Ashotavan community, Syunik region, Armenia.

New one Smile

TecmoSuperBowl

Tribe Leader
5690 posts
Joined 01/2009

We just surpassed 1,000 (or 1.000 for you foreigners) loans! We are currently at $28k loaned!

stanmore

3959 posts
Joined 03/2010

pasita

1381 posts
Joined 09/2009

Not sure how to feel about this... there are now people from USA asking for loans, like 10k to buy a limo or 10k to hire new workers.

Are things really so bad in the States that you can't get a loan from a bank if you have a reasonable business idea? Personally, I'd think lending 10k to a third world country will make a much larger impact on that person's life (including family and community). You could probably bring a small village up a dozen clicks on the life quality scale with 10k.

TecmoSuperBowl

Tribe Leader
5690 posts
Joined 01/2009

I feel like a person in need is a person in need, regardless of location, but it certainly does seem like it would make a greater impact in 3rd world countries where the opportunities are harder to find.

pasita

1381 posts
Joined 09/2009

We just surpassed 1,000 (or 1.000 for you foreigners) loans!

For us foreigners, 1.000 often means "pretty close approximation of one". There might be even more foreign people who think differently, thoughSmile

Luke00016

1170 posts
Joined 11/2009

Not sure how to feel about this... there are now people from USA asking for loans, like 10k to buy a limo or 10k to hire new workers.

Are things really so bad in the States that you can't get a loan from a bank if you have a reasonable business idea? Personally, I'd think lending 10k to a third world country will make a much larger impact on that person's life (including family and community). You could probably bring a small village up a dozen clicks on the life quality scale with 10k.

I think you're right in that a $10k loan to a third world county would go farther. But TSB makes a good point - help who you can regardless of where they're from.

That said, getting small business loans in the US has never been more difficult than right now. Kiva isn't expanding into the US and US cities for fun - they're doing it because they are needed and people needing to borrow money in the US are running out of other options.

HomePoker ForumsGeneral Poker Discussion → DC Kiva Challenge!