Articles Poker Forums

NHLE Poker Tells

or track by Email or RSS

ZT1991

55 posts
Joined 01/2011

Hey everyone I want to get better at reading people and was wondering if anyone could help me out???
I would like to learn more poker tells and get better at reading people. Thanks

Posted over 2 years ago

MaskedManQc

612 posts
Joined 02/2011

I don't play a lot of live poker, but Mike Caro wrote the book "Poker tells".

Maybe this is something you could look at.

Posted over 2 years ago

stanmore

3947 posts
Joined 03/2010

Tells are fun, but it's time probably better spent perfecting your game...

I love some of the real logical ones...

Like... If someone is still scooping in a big pot and organising their chips at the time where they need to do their preflop action on the next hand... if they play the hand... they're gonna have a stronger range... coz if they look at a medium or weaker strength hand... they'll just muck it and finish stacking their chips...

but even that is really just a logic one affecting range... not a physical tell.

Posted over 2 years ago

Bigvee

Section 9
1005 posts
Joined 10/2008

Im a much bigger fan of reading based upon bet patterns and sizes - I find its a lot more accurate for the most part.

Im sure there is something to live tells, but basing a decision on that alone is just bad. It can maybe aide a decision or sway a coin flip for you but really I think its overemphasized.

Posted over 2 years ago

Falsetto23

161 posts
Joined 11/2010

I agree live tells can often be inaccurate but one that I have always found useful is a player looking towards their chips. For example, if I am in a HU pot when we take a flop I will always look at the other player while the flop is dealt as opposed to the flop itself (it will still be there when i need to look) and more often than not, when i player looks at their chips after reading the flop it is a sign of strength; they want to put their chips in the pot.

Posted over 2 years ago

dump

1 posts
Joined 07/2011

i play a lot of live limit holdem and one almost 100% dead on tell is when an out of position player acts like he wants to bet a scare card on the turn or river and looks dead at you and checks.(almost to say u better not bet i just made three 5s). Hes wants you to think the card hit him for some reason but really he just wants to draw for free or get a free showdown with a weak hand. This is a tell you will see in as high as 20/40 games.

Posted over 2 years ago

stanmore

3947 posts
Joined 03/2010

Im a much bigger fan of reading based upon bet patterns and sizes - I find its a lot more accurate for the most part.

Im sure there is something to live tells, but basing a decision on that alone is just bad. It can maybe aide a decision or sway a coin flip for you but really I think its overemphasized.

I think most online players tend to use it to sway a coin flip...

I reckon people who have grown up with it and are masters at it... would be able to use it really well... but it still seems like taking testimony over forensics...or something like that.

Posted over 2 years ago

ZT1991

55 posts
Joined 01/2011

Thanks for the replies!!! It's interesting to hear some of the tells....

Posted over 2 years ago

Slowjoe

1117 posts
Joined 01/2010

I think most online players tend to use it to sway a coin flip...

I reckon people who have grown up with it and are masters at it... would be able to use it really well... but it still seems like taking testimony over forensics...or something like that.

You do know that a lot of forensics is voodoo science? There's no scientific basis for fingerprints, or bite analysis, for example?

Re: tells, "Book of Tells" is very good. "Read Em and Reap" is good, damaged by the Hellmuth participation.

But generally, the chip stacking tell, the sigh, and the bluffer that holds his breath are the only ones I tend to see.

Posted over 2 years ago

ZT1991

55 posts
Joined 01/2011

what do you mean about the chip stacking one?? when the player is stacking his chips and fumbles them

Posted over 2 years ago

Buby2132

1476 posts
Joined 09/2010

I agree live tells can often be inaccurate but one that I have always found useful is a player looking towards their chips. For example, if I am in a HU pot when we take a flop I will always look at the other player while the flop is dealt as opposed to the flop itself (it will still be there when i need to look) and more often than not, when i player looks at their chips after reading the flop it is a sign of strength; they want to put their chips in the pot.

What happens if it is two good players in the pot....who looks first? Or do they take turns 'reading' each other? Or do they stare at each other and madly fall in love? Smile

Posted over 2 years ago

Slowjoe

1117 posts
Joined 01/2010

what do you mean about the chip stacking one?? when the player is stacking his chips and fumbles them

Stanmore mentioned it above: if a player is stacking a pot, looks at his cards, and decides to play, he has a pretty tight/strong range.

Posted over 2 years ago

jasperdgg

201 posts
Joined 05/2008

Slowjoe

1117 posts
Joined 01/2010

Someone sighs then calls, or sighs then bets.

Monster, usually.

Posted over 2 years ago

CrankTells

4 posts
Joined 08/2011

Crank Tells declares the educational marathon started. We will be publishing the reviews of the hints throughout the year. Go to this page for the most recent information on availability of new lessons: Free file download URLs. Expected publishing rate is 2 lessons a week. Each time, the complete review of a single giveaway. Russian and English languages.

The materials are selected to constitute the pieces of an educational kit. If you do not rename video and photo applications and other documents you will finally get a manual book for individual trainings.

The marathon subject is a gesture. The educational process covers the study of face as well as the reading rules so you can improve your hint interpretation skills. In other words, our task is rather to learn to see and interpret the tells than just to study the plentitude of the same.

We are going to successively review the full session choosing a single object of regard. This includes over 100 clips and some hundreds of photos. And as in the real game we will not know the opponent's hands until the very final. That’s why the cards of the object of regard are turned over. The showdown takes place upon the end of review only.

You can use your host resources to open subjects and share the file links so your friends could download them for free. There you can also discuss the content of the lessons so that your work performance improves. Thus, you acquire both knowledge and useful skills.

Lesson ?1, free file download URL: http://depositfiles.com/ru/files/zwbajz3wu
Lesson ?2, free file download URL: http://depositfiles.com/ru/files/aqfeedzhm

Posted over 2 years ago

HomePoker ForumsArticles → NHLE Poker Tells