Articles Poker Forums

Page 2: KRANTZ : competition, and poker

published over 7 years ago

I’m reading Scott Belsky’s Making Ideas Happen.  There’s a section in there where he says:

Ideas often have the tendency to lie stagnant until we are jolted into action by either excitement or fear…  For this reason, competition — regardless of whether it stems from friendly camaraderie or outright envy — is an extremely powerful motivating force.  It serves as a catalyst for taking action and pushes us to improve our overall level of performance…  The competitive forces around you will display better ways of doing things.  Watch them — and get to know them — rather than pretend they don’t exist…  While it may be against your nature to do so, you should actively seek out competition and be grateful for it.  By embracing competition, you stay at the top of your game.

He might as well be talking about how to get better at poker.  No matter how many training videos you watch, how many books you read, how many hands you post or how many fish you filet, the only way to truly mine the depths of the game is to challenge yourself.  And that will never change, regardless of how tough the games get.  So what if you get your ass handed to you by someone better?  In my book, losing 5 BI to a great player is a good thing.

Now you get to figure out why you lost.  And then beat them the next time.

or track by Email or RSS

Snaptress

15 posts
Joined 11/2009

Exactly what I needed to read after my spaz... Krantz! You're the best.

Posted over 7 years ago

slipp3ry333

332 posts
Joined 05/2009

Yes, it's worth it, if you really want to be a great poker player you have to learn how to get comfortable with risk. I'm not suggesting you play someone like Isildur1, you'd get crushed obviously, I'm suggesting you play a winning player at the stakes you play.

Deliberate practice

http://projects.ict.usc.edu/itw/gel/EricssonDeliberatePracticePR93.pdf

Posted over 7 years ago

kagame

36 posts
Joined 09/2009

How about losing 9 BI to a fish who runs like god then leaves as soon as you get a buyin back? Frown

If a fish can win 9 BI off me (never happened before ever) how much risk are you taking vs. a tough opponent who then also runs like god? It's not just 5 BI but could easily be 15-20 BI if you get set up time after time, lose every coinflip and get owned on top of that.

After what happened to me, I wonder if Isildur beatng Durrrr for 30 BI is even statistically significant.

This. You just have to be superrolled to fade this. 35-40 buyins is a joke. Try 100 as a backup at a lower level (your safety net) with a stop loss when you deviate from A+ game or are endangering your roll, and the discipline to move down (to the backup game) when you have less than 100 buyins remaining for that backup level.

That said, taking shot with 35-40 buyins or even less may be the correct decision. You have just to protect yourself.

Posted about 7 years ago

Mantioras

19 posts
Joined 10/2009

"The only way to get smarter is by playing a smarter opponent", Fundamentals of Chess 1883.
"Revolver" 2006.

Posted about 7 years ago

1BYONE

5528 posts
Joined 05/2009

Understanding variance -- chiefly, the difference between running bad and playing bad and running well and playing well -- is really important. I'm not talking about loss here though, I'm talking about experience and competition. Make the best decision every time you have to make one and the results don't matter, no matter who you play.

This is a great post

Posted about 7 years ago

jens123

85 posts
Joined 06/2010

I guess im at the level where im learning a lot but still not sure what Im doing wrong and going more on gut intuition, I just hate getting lost and as of now poker is pretty important to me in a number of ways Poke Tongue

Posted about 7 years ago

Slowjoe

1117 posts
Joined 01/2010

How about losing 9 BI to a fish who runs like god then leaves as soon as you get a buyin back? Frown

If a fish can win 9 BI off me (never happened before ever) how much risk are you taking vs. a tough opponent who then also runs like god? It's not just 5 BI but could easily be 15-20 BI if you get set up time after time, lose every coinflip and get owned on top of that.

After what happened to me, I wonder if Isildur beatng Durrrr for 30 BI is even statistically significant.

Can anyone comment on HU match stop-loss strategies? What proportion of your BR are you prepared to lose in a match vs a fish or a reg?

Posted over 6 years ago

stunnera1234

1 posts
Joined 09/2017

I scholarly that I didn't matter as some to people as I thought, and that I shouldn't be indebted to calculate group to concern to me. Daniel

Posted 12 days ago

HomePoker ForumsArticles → KRANTZ : competition, and poker