Poker Video: No Limit Hold'Em by WiltOnTilt (Micro/Small Stakes)

Real Life Micro NL-Grinder: Unlimited Texas Hold Them: Episode Three

This video is a two minute preview. To view the entire video, please Log In or Sign Up Now
Get the Flash Player to see this player.

Real Life Micro NL-Grinder: Unlimited Texas Hold Them: Episode Three by WiltOnTilt, jk3a

WiltOnTilt and WhiteHeatSyd sit down for another live episode of two tabling micro no limit hold'em. Complete with special guest analyst jk3a.

About Real Life Micro NL-Grinder: Unlimited Texas Hold Them Subscribe to

How do you mold a beginner into an expert? WiltOnTilt and DeucesCracked member WhiteHeatSYD delve into the heart of that question in Real Life: MicroNL Grinder. Bankroll management theory, starting hand selection and general strategy development coupled with live sweat and hand history review. And keep your eyes peeled for special guest coaches!

Tags

wiltontilt whiteheatsyd real life micro no limit grinder no limit hold'em coaching jk3a

Video Details

• Game: nlhe
  • Stakes: Micro/Small Stakes
  • 65 minutes long
  • Posted over 6 years ago

Downloads

Premium Subscribers can download high-quality, DRM-free videos in multiple formats.

Comments for Real Life Micro NL-Grinder: Unlimited Texas Hold Them: Episode Three

or track by Email or RSS

WhiteHeatSYD

Real Life Grinder
847 posts
Joined 09/2007

nice, thanxx Smile
You touched a bit on 2nd barreling, but still im not sure what's important to consider..
You say that you want villain's range to hvea missed the board on the flop/turn to a high percentage which is the case against most 50NL donks (who seem to auto-call most cbets).
So on the on hand villain doesn't have a hand most of the time ont he turn (i dare to say that my A high is good in most cases), but on the other hand they often call a turn bet as well, which i dont want (whcih seems paradox to me, because i dont want to build a bigger pot w/ A high, but are ahead most times; so what do you do OOP? Bet, to prevent him from taking the lead, or just c/f the best hand..
What do you do IP? I don't want to check behind my A high, because in most cases it's still the best hand, so i dont want to give him a chance to draw out on me and to bluff me on the river..; Should i 2nd barrel here?)
Like to hear some comments.
-thanks

I think that it is a lot easier to double barrell in position, than out of position. I would tend to go towards check folding oop. As if you cbet oop on the turn, then check the river. You are very exploitable, as they are going to be betting most rivers.

You can't really answer the question about IP, with out a hand history, as it is very villan dependant. You need to asign the range of the villan, to your percieved range and go from there. But I do feel there is no point triple barrel bluff a donkey as he is rarely folding.

Posted over 6 years ago

Biggy

7 posts
Joined 01/2008

Been really enjoying this series so far, another good vid. jk3a was a good addition and asked some good questions/gave good analysis. Also Alex you're good at being a student which I have picked up some tips on for my sessions.

Posted over 6 years ago

cobby

60 posts
Joined 05/2008

do you usually play more tables, alex?

Posted over 6 years ago

WhiteHeatSYD

Real Life Grinder
847 posts
Joined 09/2007

do you usually play more tables, alex?

I play four, and data mine a few in the background. I strongly believe that it is not worth playing anymore than that, as you want to pick up players patterns. It is to difficult to make marginal decisions with more tables than that imo.

Posted over 6 years ago

jk3a

898 posts
Joined 01/2008

Ok, looked the vid now the second time and some questions came up. Like to hear your comments on that:

~21: You chek behind w/ A7 as the pfr on 526rb against a 35/10 guy. I guess his most likely cards are broadways, pp and BIGGER suited connectors which all miss the board. Isn't this a great spot to cbet to prevent him from drawing out on us with his 7To? And why dont we 2nd barrel the Q, which should create just more fold equity?

~42:30: You hold QTo on AQ6tt against a 18/9 guy and decide to check behind. Do i misunderstand sth. or is the only reason for checking behind that you want to induce a steal attempt from him? I mean, sure you get only called by stronger hands; so actually you want to protect your hand (because if you gonna call a bet later, you could as well bet out yourself w/ the advantage that you're protecting your hand) in case he holds a gutshot or fd, but you think you finally get more by giving him a chance to make stab at the pot, right?

~49:30: Here you hold 99 on a AT7tt board vs. a 13/4 nit. You say that firing one barrel on the flop is fine. I don't get your point.. With 13/4 he is more on the passive side, so imo the vast majority of his range are in fact Aces; Futher it's unlikely that he'll bluff you out on a A high board, since he's threatened of the ace. What's the idea behind continuation betting here?

~55:20: Flop comes KKK and you decide not to bluff raise villain's cbet w/ QJo, which is OK against a 9/5 nit who won't believe your raise.
Under what circumstances would you raise here? I mean it's so obvious that you missed the board that you can bluff raise under rare circumstances. What are these? Would you mind giving some examples?

~56:10: You have TT w/ a pfr in front of you. You like to call here, which is imo not the best play?? TT is a very strong hand and we often face AK/AQ or worse hands in a HU pot. By raising we achieve axactly this. Getting HU w/ a hand that's most likely the best hand. Further we gain initiative and even have the possibility of taking the pot down preflop. Why do you want to play a multiway pot and risking overcards which are much more likely to his s.b.? Imo the factors for raising outweigh the ones for calling by far?...
Hoping you elaborate a bit on that.

That's it so far. Thank you very much in advance : )

A7 - we did cbet and didn't 2 barrel because villain was very loose and shortstacked

QT - correct, inducing bluffs here is the only real way to get value. betting to protect is not really important given our hand and the board texture

99 - this is a value bet, we don't expect villain to fold better and he can certainly call with worse (all gutshots/flush draws, 7x) firing two there might not be horrible if he folds all non Ax hands on a blank, but given how tight he was, it's fair to say that too much of his range after calling the flop is Ax.

QJo - people don't fold fullhouses. I'm not sure I would every bluff raise this villain on that board given the action.

TT - 3betting tight utg raisers with TT is certainly suboptimal imo, the range that he continues with after we 3bet is MUCH stronger than the range he opens. Keeping the pot smaller increases our positional advantage as well and allows us to play our strong hand against a weaker range.

Posted over 6 years ago

cobby

60 posts
Joined 05/2008

TT - 3betting tight utg raisers with TT is certainly suboptimal imo, the range that he continues with after we 3bet is MUCH stronger than the range he opens. Keeping the pot smaller increases our positional advantage as well and allows us to play our strong hand against a weaker range.

I see your points, but i still have to disagree w/ the TT hand.
Let him alone continue w/ AA-TT, Ak-AQ. This makes 32 combos for unpaired hands and 25 for the paired hands. Further you get all the advantages a raise has and you get the maximum out of your hand.

Posted over 6 years ago

gpfs7

113 posts
Joined 03/2008

can you use the standard full tilt layout or something freaking normal? this garbage is so hard to look at. can you let him make the mistake then tell him why he did it wrong instead of telling him to raise here, fold here or ask him why he did that. Many times you told him what to do as if you were playing.
also are you teaching a standard tag way to play because the video from the new coach who had his video debut on sunday has a 50nl vid on 2p2 and he plays so aggressive and destroys the table

Posted over 6 years ago

WhiteHeatSYD

Real Life Grinder
847 posts
Joined 09/2007

can you use the standard full tilt layout or something freaking normal? this garbage is so hard to look at. information was good though

Thank you for the feed back. What did you have difficulty with. I feel that his layout gives more space for the stats. I will have a play tonight to look at how I can change it. DRc13 has sent me his layout, so may try that out. Please can other people give me their views on it, as don't want to change it if it the members are happy with what we have? I would prefer it with out the Abbreviations for each stat, but helps for the video.

Posted over 6 years ago

gpfs7

113 posts
Joined 03/2008

oh i just mean the table and background seems like there is a blurr, everyone else uses a normal layout in there videos for the most part

Posted over 6 years ago

Fischie

17 posts
Joined 04/2008

Question about the 3-betting:

I apparently must be playing on the wrong tables, but I always seem to end up on a PS table with a couple of villains who are habitual raisers in position, i.e., CO, Button, and sometimes Hijack (which I always notice because I'm usually one of the blinds). Now, usually I give them, the "3 strikes and you're out" rule: if they raise from one of these positions 3 times in a row, I 3-bet them regardless of what I have on the fourth time. Is this a bit too donkey-ish a play by me? Should it only be 2-strikes? Do you have any other suggestions/ideas for attempting to curb the relentless position bettors?

Another question (for the sake of argument):

In regard to raising UTG, would you modify your UTG raising range if you were at a table full of TAGs? By modify, I mean expand it significantly to include suited connectors and suited one-gaps all the way down to 5-7 and all pocket pairs since they would give you more credit for having a stronger hand than you actually do and thus be more wary of 3-betting you without a significantly strong hand themselves?

Posted over 6 years ago

WhiteHeatSYD

Real Life Grinder
847 posts
Joined 09/2007

I apparently must be playing on the wrong tables, but I always seem to end up on a PS table with a couple of villains who are habitual raisers in position, i.e., CO, Button, and sometimes Hijack (which I always notice because I'm usually one of the blinds). Now, usually I give them, the "3 strikes and you're out" rule: if they raise from one of these positions 3 times in a row, I 3-bet them regardless of what I have on the fourth time. Is this a bit too donkey-ish a play by me? Should it only be 2-strikes? Do you have any other suggestions/ideas for attempting to curb the relentless position bettors?

I think that you shouldn't be working on a strikes system. I look at their stats and work on the following. Here is my thought process.

1)PFR of 20%+, and high fold to 3bet% (70%+). I will be 3 betting these guys and betting at any flop.
2) The TAG when there numbers are close together say 20/17 etc, and have a high % to steal, plus 30%. I will be rr from the blinds, with strong hands and air. If the same player is a 20% steal, I am likely to give him a lot more respect as it looks like their range is more distributed across the positions.
3)I think that you need to also look at the fold to C-bet, as you are going to be firing pretty much all flops.
4) Another thing to consider is if they are constantly isolating a limper, then it is good to 3bet them, as they are likely to have a weak holding but want the 40/10/1 player to themshelves.
5) If they have a high WTSD and low Fold to C-bet then I don't want to get into a spot with them oop post flop. As it is high variance having to fire multiple streets against them.

Posted over 6 years ago

jk3a

898 posts
Joined 01/2008

I see your points, but i still have to disagree w/ the TT hand.
Let him alone continue w/ AA-TT, Ak-AQ. This makes 32 combos for unpaired hands and 25 for the paired hands. Further you get all the advantages a raise has and you get the maximum out of your hand.

You're more than welcome to disagree, however, you are incorrect and expressing false logic because we have to fold when villain 4bets, and he will 4bet a significant portion of the range you mentioned. This, and this alone can account for the increased profitability in flatting pf.

Posted over 6 years ago

jk3a

898 posts
Joined 01/2008

can you use the standard full tilt layout or something freaking normal? this garbage is so hard to look at. can you let him make the mistake then tell him why he did it wrong instead of telling him to raise here, fold here or ask him why he did that. Many times you told him what to do as if you were playing.
also are you teaching a standard tag way to play because the video from the new coach who had his video debut on sunday has a 50nl vid on 2p2 and he plays so aggressive and destroys the table

I think your complaint about playing style is unfair. I can personally attest that Aaron generally teaches a style that would make most people uncomfortable in terms of aggression. We really didn't get dealt many hands in this session.

Posted over 6 years ago

WiltOnTilt

2658 posts
Joined 10/2007

also are you teaching a standard tag way to play

lol

Posted over 6 years ago

WiltOnTilt

2658 posts
Joined 10/2007

Another question (for the sake of argument):

In regard to raising UTG, would you modify your UTG raising range if you were at a table full of TAGs? By modify, I mean expand it significantly to include suited connectors and suited one-gaps all the way down to 5-7 and all pocket pairs since they would give you more credit for having a stronger hand than you actually do and thus be more wary of 3-betting you without a significantly strong hand themselves?

Hi Fischie,

My personal preference is to modify my opening ranges not based on the "tags" or "lags" at the table, but more specifically targetting 2 stats of the players around me: their 3bet% and their fold to cbet%. If people are not 3betting me much and generally staying out of my way, i will be greatly opening my ranges from every position, including utg... however if we're getting into 3betting wars, then we need to tighten our opening standards and loosen our 4bet and/or calling standards.

I also don't really care for your 3-strikes strategy for when to start 3betting. I think we'd do much better by simply considering the factors of the situations such as his overall gameplan (vpip/pfr/steal%), our table position, our hand, and any recent table history (ex. did he lose a big pot recently? have we 3bet him recently? how does he view our game? etc) to determine the correct situations and frequency for a 3bet. I think arbitrarily choosing a number of instances to allow him to get away with stealing our blinds does not really give this complex situation the thought and consideration it deserves. To say it another way, there's more game dynamic at play here than simply the number of times he's raised from the button.

hope that helps and makes sense.

Aaron

p.s. I think Alex's reply to your question was also very good too.

Posted over 6 years ago

HomePoker ForumsMicro Stakes Online NL → Real Life Micro NL-Grinder: Unlimited Texas Hold Them : Episode Three