Poker Video: No Limit Hold'Em by sthief09 (Micro/Small Stakes)

DC Shorts: Sthief09 (#3) - HH Review with KongSo

This video is a two minute preview. To view the entire video, please Log In or Sign Up Now
Get the Flash Player to see this player.

DC Shorts: Sthief09 (#3) - HH Review with KongSo by sthief09

Sthief09 and KongSo talk over three 6-max NLHE hands played on PokerStars.

About DC Shorts Subscribe to

DC shorts are short content bursts brought to you by DC Labs. Roughly 1/4 the length of standard videos, these shorts are designed to review single hands, concepts or ideas. You'll receive the most up to date content available and stay in touch with the latest and greatest here at DC and the poker community at large. The more you post in the forums the more likely it is your post will be the inspiration for a future DC short!

Tags

sthief09 dc shorts hh review hand replayer ipod friendly 25nl 25 nl

Video Details

• Game: nlhe
  • Stakes: Micro/Small Stakes
  • 40 minutes long
  • Posted over 2 years ago

Downloads

Premium Subscribers can download high-quality, DRM-free videos in multiple formats.

Comments for DC Shorts: Sthief09 (#3) - HH Review with KongSo

or track by Email or RSS

zachd2323

3146 posts
Joined 04/2010

Time Link to 00:03:48

At what pair do you think it becomes a call instead of a 3bet or fold? Like 77?

Posted over 2 years ago

zachd2323

3146 posts
Joined 04/2010

Time Link to 00:15:25

My first instinct was to want to raise this flop as well. But thinking more about it, I just worry that we don't really rep anything if he can hand read at all. Are you just assuming that these villains aren't going to be able to hand read well at all? It really seems like we would more than likely just be calling down with all of our made hands.

Posted over 2 years ago

zachd2323

3146 posts
Joined 04/2010

Time Link to 00:37:26

Yeah, I think the problem in these spots for me is that sometimes I just talk myself into making a call by trying to find a few hands that I can beat, instead of looking at an entire range. My initial thought is to fold, but it's always a lot harder to make a big fold than to call.

Posted over 2 years ago

sthief09

2961 posts
Joined 07/2007

At what pair do you think it becomes a call instead of a 3bet or fold? Like 77?

66 is probably on the borderline. in So Fresh So Clean episode 8 I broke down 77 by types of flops we hit. You can just download the spreadsheet without watching the video. I think it's worth checking out.

Anyway, I'm not entirely convinced we shouldn't often call in a spot like that, but there in particular he's facing a 3.5x open, iirc he said no fish in the blinds and he doesn't have the button so that spot happens to be significantly worse than average. Typically, there are enough ways to win the pot in position and it's a nice hand to have if there's a loose squeezer in the blinds, so I don't mind calling with it.

I have a lot of hands over a long period of time but last I checked, I've done quite well with small and medium pairs flatting preflop.

Posted over 2 years ago

sthief09

2961 posts
Joined 07/2007

My first instinct was to want to raise this flop as well. But thinking more about it, I just worry that we don't really rep anything if he can hand read at all. Are you just assuming that these villains aren't going to be able to hand read well at all? It really seems like we would more than likely just be calling down with all of our made hands.

I definitely have a weak range when I raise there, but a strong case can be made for raising (and in this spot a raise is committing) 55, 77, 65, and 76.

[TANGENT] Fundamentally, raising the above hands is bad. all better hands call, all worse hands fold. usually this is bad poker. however, if villain has any aggression in him he will probably auto fire A-Q, maybe J and T turns. even if we call on those cards we are not a favorite vs. his range (reverse implied odds). if he only bets the turn with a better hand, obviously we can fold. if he's doing it anywhere close to balanced it's a brutal spot on the turn.

conversely, if the card is good for us when holding 55, 77, 65, and 76 it will be a bad barrel card for villain. we have minimal implied odds on our straight/2pr/set outs.

put this all together and I think it's better to be raising the flop with these hands against all but either the most straightforward (always fold turn) or insanely aggro (never fold turn) opponents. Paddy and I did a Pokerazor sim in Playbook that showed something similar. sometimes it's best to end the hand early despite fundamentals pointing to the contrary. the smaller the SPR, the more true all this gets. /tangent

so anyway, if we raise A7 and some of those other made hands, then he shouldn't call with any A-high. if he's weak tight or misinterprets the raise he may even fold pairs with A4 and such, on occasion.

Posted over 2 years ago

zachd2323

3146 posts
Joined 04/2010

You can just download the spreadsheet without watching the video. I think it's worth checking out.

Cool. I'll definitely check out the video and spreadsheet. Thanks for taking all the time to post on forums lately.

Posted over 2 years ago

HomePoker ForumsMicro Stakes Online NL → DC Shorts : Sthief09 (#3) - HH Review with KongSo