Poker Video: No Limit Hold'Em by sthief09 (Micro/Small Stakes)

Memoirs of a Limidonk: Season Premiere

This video is a two minute preview. To view the entire video, please Log In or Sign Up Now
Get the Flash Player to see this player.

Memoirs of a Limidonk: Season Premiere by sthief09

In the first video of this introductory series, sthief introduces some basic concepts of learning no limit hold'em. Check it out as he uses a classroom-style presentation to discuss the importance of position and having a plan for a hand, and start laying a foundation that anyone can follow to become a solid NL regular.

About Memoirs of a Limidonk Subscribe to

"But can't I just bet the minimum?" sthief09, a former Limit Holdem' player turned No-Limit expert, teaches Entity about the mighty power that is "ALL-IN."

Tags

josh sthief sthief09 classroom powerpoint nlhe presentation limidonk ipod friendly

Video Details

• Game: nlhe
  • Stakes: Micro/Small Stakes
  • 63 minutes long
  • Posted almost 7 years ago

Downloads

Premium Subscribers can download high-quality, DRM-free videos in multiple formats.

Comments for Memoirs of a Limidonk: Season Premiere

or track by Email or RSS

DonkeySchool

8 posts
Joined 01/2008

See, I really really don't want to sound like an ass here, because I know I'm not the best player in the world, so my ideas should I guess be taken with a grain of salt.

Firstly, you wrote all this down, didn't you? The way you are announcing very much comes across as you are reading from a list. This is obviously just a personal thing, which shouldn't mar the content of the video as a whole.

My issue comes from this. For half an hour, you kept 3-betting up on the screen, So I focussed on your voice, which is great, but there are a lot of things you could have continued to place in there, examples that are timed to your announcing for instance. Especially with your 'lets have an example'. Another thing you could put in there is a dot point overview as you are announcing. Of course this is just an idea.

The information is great. there were a few things I got a little confused about. You mentioned someone with 15 outs being a 2:1 underdog after the flop. I thought that 15 outs would make me a favorite? Am I wrong here?

The last issue Grin You might want to re-edit your video, you run the full voice over twice. Once to the title of 3-betting, then again with the correct slides *which is why I put my first comment in* I hope I didn't come across as too much of an ass here, Because that's not why I made this comment at all.

DS

Posted almost 7 years ago

Raist0000

168 posts
Joined 07/2007

yea it's true, the voice is repeated two times, and the image of 3betting appears too much time. you make a mistake while editing the video i suppose. this comment is for the wmv that i downloaded.

downrange

178 posts
Joined 02/2007

I'm glad I didn't have to say it first because I'm really looking fwd to sthief videos but I too zoned out on the "3-betting" slide Smile As such a beginner I otherwise liked the info imparted but ttytt it was more like reading a book than watching a video. Not trying to be snotty but dc.com ppl are always saying "give us feedback" so that's the only reason I'm being this critical. Personally I like lots of pictures or action at a tbl.

HappyFool

6 posts
Joined 09/2007

The information is great, but some on screen examples using a replayer would be so much easier to understand. Keep up the good work!

Entity

8667 posts
Joined 11/2006

Hey guys,

I'm downloading this now at home to check it out and see what happened. If you could let me know the times that the repeats happen, I'd appreciate it. It could very well be that one of the WAV files got repeated twice during the recording accidentally and the video looped that section, which I can fix pretty easily.

As far as the comments on the slides go, this is good feedback and exactly what we'll be looking for to continually improve on our content.

thanks,
Rob

Entity

8667 posts
Joined 11/2006

K guys I tracked down this error. When I produced the original video the audio got looped, causing the extra-long 3-betting slide that you commented about. I'm going to take the video down and replace it with the new one which is producing right now.

sthief09

3102 posts
Joined 07/2007

Hey all, thanks for the feedback so far. You're right that something got messed up along the way. The video should be 40 mins, with the first 40 mins of audio being it. The slides are supposed to be how they are after the 40 mins. We'll get that fixed asap. I'm on a train back to my apartment and I'll get on it.

I know this video is very lecture-y but I hope you can bear through it, as it's loaded with good stuff, including some not-so-beginner concepts like reading board texture that should break up the moments where you're sitting there thinking "durrrrrr I know all this"

As the episodes go on, there will be more and more live play and hand examples and less lectures. I just think it's so hard to find good quality beginner info and video 1 is basically my primer.

And yes, it's scripted. Unfortunately one of my shortcomings is talking stream of consciousness, so until I get better at the public speaking thing, the videos that don't include live play will be. The nice part about that is I can provide you with my outlines if you'd like. Or maybe I can gut them a bit so you can take notes. Let me know.

Thanks for the feedback, and please keep it coming. The better the feedback the better i can get at creating these

DonkeySchool

8 posts
Joined 01/2008

Hey sthief.

Ultimately as I said the video is very good in that it does have a lot of A+ content. I was very impressed with what I listened to, even enough to listen to it twice Poke Tongue

A way to get around the 'lecture-y' feel of a video like this is to make dot points and expand on them, that way rather than directly scripting, you are throwing in inferences, that sort of thing, and it generally 'feels' more natural. Obviously if you are uncomfortable doing this it's pointless, however it used to work for me when I was doing a similar sort of thing *unrelated to poker, of course*

Providing us with outlines is always a good thing in my opinion. A lot of watchers who are really finding your information vital will write these out/print them out and sticky them to the sides of their monitors, especially if they think it deals with one of their shortcomings. A great example of this is, as you pointed out, board texture...I don't think many videos at all ever point out just how important board texture is, for direct bluffs, inducing a bluff, or even drawy play.

Like I said, I didn't want to come across as an ass, because I REALLY enjoyed the video. Keep up the great work Smile

DonkeySchool

8 posts
Joined 01/2008

Oh and I'm still confused about how you see me being a 2:1 underdog on the flop if I have a monster draw (15 outs) am I not in fact a favorite?

DeathDonkey

5389 posts
Joined 11/2006

Oh and I'm still confused about how you see me being a 2:1 underdog on the flop if I have a monster draw (15 outs) am I not in fact a favorite?

I'm sure Josh will be by but my guess is he simply said "flop" when he meant "turn".

-DeathDonkey

sthief09

3102 posts
Joined 07/2007

Hey sthief.

Ultimately as I said the video is very good in that it does have a lot of A+ content. I was very impressed with what I listened to, even enough to listen to it twice Poke Tongue

A way to get around the 'lecture-y' feel of a video like this is to make dot points and expand on them, that way rather than directly scripting, you are throwing in inferences, that sort of thing, and it generally 'feels' more natural. Obviously if you are uncomfortable doing this it's pointless, however it used to work for me when I was doing a similar sort of thing *unrelated to poker, of course*

Providing us with outlines is always a good thing in my opinion. A lot of watchers who are really finding your information vital will write these out/print them out and sticky them to the sides of their monitors, especially if they think it deals with one of their shortcomings. A great example of this is, as you pointed out, board texture...I don't think many videos at all ever point out just how important board texture is, for direct bluffs, inducing a bluff, or even drawy play.

Like I said, I didn't want to come across as an ass, because I REALLY enjoyed the video. Keep up the great work Smile

hey, more great feedback. thanks, and thanks for the kind words. I'll get on releasing the outline. and Episode 2 will have bullet points on the powerpoint. then no more powerpoint for awhile. promise.

and regarding to your question, I must've misspoken because I meant 15 outs being a 2-1 dog on the turn vs one pair, like DD said. I'm looking through it but don't see that part right now, but I'm sure I meant the turn and not the flop.

thanks again, and please keep up all the feedback.

larm

7 posts
Joined 08/2007

The nice part about that is I can provide you with my outlines if you'd like. Or maybe I can gut them a bit so you can take notes. Let me know.

That would be great!!

Entity

8667 posts
Joined 11/2006

Hey guys,

The fixed/new version of the video is up to download/stream. Let me know if there are any questions. Since there were good comments in this one I left the thread as is which **should** be fine even though it's associated with a new video file now (I tested watching it and everything seemed to go ok).

If there are problems, LMK.

thanks for all the patience -- this one only has a 4 minute 3-betting slide FTW!
Rob

nomdeguerre

43 posts
Joined 06/2007

Josh, I just wanted to say that despite the initial gremlins the information you gave in this video I found extremely valuable, and you answered a number of questions I'd had for a while regarding basic NL concepts. I'm really looking forward to the rest of your installments.

HomePoker ForumsMicro Stakes Online NL → Memoirs of a Limidonk: Season Premiere