Beginner Limit Hold'em Poker Forums

Just a couple preflop scenarios.

or track by Email or RSS

motienko

2113 posts
Joined 03/2008

8-16 live holdem.

Hand 1) loose passive game. The players to my left are tightish, will raise with premium hands only, The two ep limpers are terrible, loose calling stations, they will both go a long way to hit a hand.

The two players limp ep, I am next in the lowjack(MP) with 6c8c...I suspect there will be a minimum of 5 players....should I get in there against these bad players? How low do you go here. My main question is how much do you loosen up in order to play more hands against bad players assuming you don't necessarily think your going to get pounded by players to your left.

Hand 2) Very laggy player opens UTG....you can give him a typical CO open range. Low jack(MP) 3 bets..He too is pretty laggy and knows UTG is laggy...give him AT+ A8s+ 66+ KJ+ JTs+. These guys both with put in a ton of action with draws, made hands etc. The button who is very loose looks like he wants to play and has his chips ready to call. The blinds are fairly loose. I have 77...what should I do?

Posted over 3 years ago

SIide

2405 posts
Joined 12/2008

Hand 1) I definitely OL 98s, probably 87s, so 86s/76s must be close here.

Hand 2) If I was going to play, I would CC and try to encourage others players to come into the pot. I think at this point your really playing your hand as a set mine and are going to be forced to play very fit or fold on the flop considering you have the 2 immediate aggressors to your right and will be put into a lot of bad relative flop positions. I don't mind just folding either. Having the button would be better too.

Posted over 3 years ago

RedHot

692 posts
Joined 07/2009

Hand 1) I definitely OL 98s, probably 87s, so 86s/76s must be close here.

Hand 2) If I was going to play, I would CC and try to encourage others players to come into the pot. I think at this point your really playing your hand as a set mine and are going to be forced to play very fit or fold on the flop considering you have the 2 immediate aggressors to your right and will be put into a lot of bad relative flop positions. I don't mind just folding either. Having the button would be better too.

I found a lot of these preflop spots awkward live. However, I think hand 1 is a fold. When you say '....assuming you don't necessarily think you get pounded by players to your left' I take it you mean quite often you will get 3 bet. I don't think your hand is quite strong enough to continue in these circumstances.

Hand 2 I'm not clear which position you are in. I don't believe set-mining can be viable. If you are in BB I think its a call. We can be doing well post flop on quite a few board textures.

Posted over 3 years ago

Amaryllis

431 posts
Joined 09/2007

1) Close either way. I lean on 51% fold. 67s I call.
2) I set mine this one here. Live, this is brewing into a gigantic pot with players hoping to hit their Ax by the river regardless of the board and action.

Posted over 3 years ago

motienko

2113 posts
Joined 03/2008

I found a lot of these preflop spots awkward live. However, I think hand 1 is a fold. When you say '....assuming you don't necessarily think you get pounded by players to your left' I take it you mean quite often you will get 3 bet. I don't think your hand is quite strong enough to continue in these circumstances.

Hand 2 I'm not clear which position you are in. I don't believe set-mining can be viable. If you are in BB I think its a call. We can be doing well post flop on quite a few board textures.

I was in EP in hand 2. I think this is more likely a call in this position since my call could cause a cascade effect and build a big MW pot. I like the call less in the BB, assuming it was just me and the two lags. I think this could be a tough hand to play if we don't hit a set being sandwhiched between two lags. If one other player came along, I would call and like my implied odds if I hit the set.

Posted over 3 years ago

RedHot

692 posts
Joined 07/2009

Hand 2- iIt depends on the game. In the 10/20 games I played live, after an UTG raise, a 3 bet and a cold call, I would expect lots of folds. People might call 3 with TJs but not K9o etc. In the 4/8 games I played live the sort of mw pot you are looking for might have occurred, I'm not sure. Certainly after an early raise and two cold calls I could see a mw pot brewing. I do think the 3b will put a lot of players off, however. One guy in a multiway pot after a raise, 3 bet and 4 bet said 'ok lets gamble' before 5 betting so if you have that sort of character at the table you might be in a different situation.

The 77 in the BB v lag open and lag 3 bet I think could be ok to play post flop on many boards, given the range you provide for the 3 bet. Obviously if you get an all broadway flop you can get out of the way pretty quick. I'm not rushing to fold on, say, K65 though.

Posted over 3 years ago

which

1296 posts
Joined 09/2009

calling three cold with a set mining hand would be a disaster I think. You do not close the action, don't know how many others are in.

if you assume a 10/1 ratio is close to correct for set mining, are you really making 30 small bets profit if you hit your hand?

IF you are , go ahead...

which

Posted over 3 years ago

HomePoker ForumsBeginner Limit Hold'em → Just a couple preflop scenarios.