Beginner Limit Hold'em Poker Forums

JJ blind defense with A on turn

or track by Email or RSS

Entity

8667 posts
Joined 11/2006

SonnyBarger wrote:

Check and call.

She won\'t fold an ace if you bet, but will not bet that ace x% of the time if you check, so you save a portion of a big bet when behind by checking.

A hand you beat will fold more often when you bet than the same range will bet when you check, thus you make more when ahead by checking.

I have less experience determining what a live tell means that you and Chris, but for me, this is an instabet. From what I\'ve seen this sort of player will sometimes (usually) call with a worse hand on the river but is trying to deter you from betting by showing that they want to call. That usually means that they have a hand like 77 or Tx, but they won\'t bet these hands on the river. Since you\'ve got the best hand pretty much always here I\'d go ahead and bet, since even when they\'re motioning like they don\'t want you to bet they\'ll call anyway a fairly high percentage of the time.

Rob

Posted almost 8 years ago

Joe Tall

6695 posts
Joined 11/2006

This is a very standard river check and call. Give her a chance to take a stab at the pot as that is the only way you\'ll make a bet if you are ahead.

Joe Tall

6695 posts
Joined 11/2006

After some thought and discussion about this hand the only reason to check the river is with intent to fold. Given your description and most of live players there is nothing you beat if they bet the river and you should fold. If you can\'t fold to this bet then you should bet the river.

DeathDonkey

5389 posts
Joined 11/2006

SonnyBarger wrote:

A hand you beat will fold more often when you bet than the same range will bet when you check, thus you make more when ahead by checking.

I disagree with this. I am assuming villain is a standard too loose and too passive player, and that type of player is not more likely to bet with a hand than they are to call with it (say QT for top pair on the flop for instance). Against this type of player you fearlessly value bet your hands and if you get called by a better hand, you just remember they would have called you with a lot worse and if you were going to check and call it costs you the same.

If you know villain is capable of folding a hand like QT here, then I believe the best play is to check and fold, as that type of player will probably check down all hands worse than a pair of aces. If I was not confident in this read then I would bet and hope I get called by a wide enough range.

-DeathDonkey

DeathDonkey

5389 posts
Joined 11/2006

She\'ll continue to call because that\'s what people do, bad people that is. Maybe she had a pair and maybe she had two broadway cards and those are both reasons to continue calling. She could also have an ace easily. Judging from your results this sounds like a sort of tight passive player who you can safely check/fold the river against in the future. But if she would play 77 or something the exact same way then you played fine and she just happened to have AQ this time.

-DeathDonkey

Blantons

56 posts
Joined 02/2007

Live 8-16 from Canterbury.

I\'m in the SB with JJ. Folded to HJ who raises, CO and BTN fold, I 3 bet, BB folds, HJ calls.

Flop is 10 6 2.
I bet, she calls.

Turn is A.
I bet, she calls.

River is x.
I motion my hand with a bet and look right. HJ is motioning with a call.

I assume betting the turn is correct. Let me know otherwise.

Since HJ called turn, should I have bet the river or check?<br><br>Post edited by: Blantons, at: 2007/02/26 06:14

Blantons

56 posts
Joined 02/2007

I appreciate everyone\'s contribution.

When I motioned and saw her going to call, I hesitated a very quick moment yet bet. The fact that she didn\'t raise the turn and that she only had one hand of chips gave me the impression that I was still ahead. However, she had AQ. I gather that my preflop 3 bet made her believe that I had at least AK.

I was wondering if anyone would advocate a check-call or check-fold because why would she call my turn bet when the A hit.

SonnyBarger

13 posts
Joined 02/2007

Check and call.

She won\'t fold an ace if you bet, but will not bet that ace x% of the time if you check, so you save a portion of a big bet when behind by checking.

HomePoker ForumsBeginner Limit Hold'em → JJ blind defense with A on turn