Joined 01/2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5DZexDYyuU

Shmoke und a panncake?

Vell zen zer ist no pleeezing yieu.

Posted over 2 years ago

QED42

248 posts
Joined 04/2010

Belgium isn't a country it's a just a petrol station for tanks to refuel at when traveling between France and Germany.

Posted over 2 years ago

SnappieVouz

2620 posts
Joined 03/2009

Belgium isn't a country it's a just a petrol station for tanks to refuel at when traveling between France and Germany.

that is only if you don't lose a tire because of the bad roads in belgium.

Posted over 2 years ago

zachd2323

3148 posts
Joined 04/2010

I only know one guy from the Netherlands, personally, and he speaks German. So yes I think it's basically the same language.

Posted over 2 years ago

Steppin Razor

Section 9
2237 posts
Joined 12/2009

I only know one guy from the Netherlands, personally, and he speaks German. So yes I think it's basically the same language.

Irrefutable logic, proving we are right in making Dutch people speak German in movies.

Posted over 2 years ago

zachd2323

3148 posts
Joined 04/2010

Irrefutable logic, proving we are right in making Dutch people speak German in movies.

Exactly.

Posted over 2 years ago

stanmore

3949 posts
Joined 03/2010

So like the one thing I would recommend to Dutch people would be to practice touching your tongue to just the bottom of the inside of your top front teeth... pushing a little air through and dropping your tongue back just as you do it.

That'll give you a nice english "th" sound so you don't have to worry about the Austin Powers 3 style dutch accent for "father" sounding like "farja".

If you do a dutch sounding "farja": then on the "j" part of the word you're retroflexing your tongue (curling it up and back) and forcing air through it there. Instead you wanna push your tongue forward and touch your top teeth with the tip.

When speaking at full speed it'll only be a tap really. Just a flick of the tongue on the back of the top row of teeth as you expell a little air through.

I would start with the "th" sound and no vowels or anything... repeatedly tapping your tongue against your teeth while expelling air: "th-th-th-th-th-th-th-th-th-th-th-th-th"

Then add a vowel after like a "tha-tha-tha-tha-tha-tha-tha-tha-tha-tha-tha-tha-tha-tha-"

And try a vowell before like in "math" "ath-ath-ath-ath-ath-ath-ath-ath-ath-ath-ath-ath-ath-"

Then you should be good to go. Smile

It's the same problem that leads to most French people struggling with the same sound and the stereotype for them is turning "that" into "zat". In this case they're touching their tongue to the soft palatte at the top of the mouth and forcing air through just like I do when saying amazing zamboni or any other words in English with a "z".

I'm pretty sure German doesn't have this sound either... so I can imagine why it's such a pain in the ass for Euros to do it if it's a sound that mostly came about in English.

Posted over 2 years ago

mitch

2039 posts
Joined 01/2008

Why you tryin to elimate the world of "farja" stanmore? WORSE THAN HITLER RIGHT HERE.

Posted over 2 years ago

n0whereman

3107 posts
Joined 01/2008

I think I read somewhere that the 'th' sound is one of the absolute toughest things to pronounce in language, and if you haven't picked it up by a certain age (fairly young IIRC) you have essentially no shot of ever getting it.

Posted over 2 years ago

BaseMetal

2153 posts
Joined 01/2010

...just like I do when saying amazing zamboni or any other words in English with a "z".

zamboni , I'm never going to play scrabble with stanmore!

Posted over 2 years ago

euEra

739 posts
Joined 08/2010

like Ireland is england.

Ireland is not englad it is a seperate country like america and canada, but ireland and england are a united kingdom along with scotland and whales

P.S does anyone know why americans decided to use the english language, but then decided to slightly tweak it for example changing the word mum to mom.

Posted over 2 years ago

SnappieVouz

2620 posts
Joined 03/2009

I think I read somewhere that the 'th' sound is one of the absolute toughest things to pronounce in language, and if you haven't picked it up by a certain age (fairly young IIRC) you have essentially no shot of ever getting it.

goddamnit

Posted over 2 years ago

AllHailKingVin

181 posts
Joined 11/2009

Th is really hard for most dutch speakers. My wife wanted to call our first kid Theo, but they pronounce it Teo.

Also, one of the most wacky things about dutch is the fact that they have some really long words (which are just multiple small words glued together. Example

Vrachtwagenachteruitkijkspiegeltje

IMO Hardest dutch word that most native english speakers cannot say (took me YEARS) is Vliegtuig
(means airplane).

Posted over 2 years ago

huntse

1432 posts
Joined 11/2010

1)Dutch accent is cool. Attention Dutch people: You're beautiful baby just the way you are don't ever change.
2)Every language has words in it that other people find extremely hard to say because the sounds aren't differentiated in language early enough. I studied Indian music for 3 years. My teacher used to say "wiolin" because he couldn't tell the difference between "v" and "w". I, on the other hand, couldn't tell the difference between "dha" and "da" (trust me these are different even though they sound exactly the same to my ear) which was more of a problem because they mean different sounds on the drum.

Ireland is not englad it is a seperate country like america and canada, but ireland and england are a united kingdom along with scotland and whales

If this is a level it's pretty ballsy even by the standards of this thread. Ireland won independance from the United Kingdom as the result of a War. Northern Ireland is part of the UK, along with England, Scotland and Wales, and that is extremely controversial to say the least.

Posted over 2 years ago

HomePoker ForumsGeneral Poker Discussion → Does american really think....