General Poker Discussion Poker Forums

Page 2: Does american really think....

or track by Email or RSS

AllHailKingVin

181 posts
Joined 11/2009

I thought Holland was in Amsterdam before I moved here 15 years ago.....

Posted almost 3 years ago

Sneakers

2022 posts
Joined 09/2009

The Netherlands is interesting to me, as an example in history.

My personal impression of people from the Netherlands, has always been that they speak 4-6 languages. Of course that is a result of meeting people while traveling and at international companies.

My own belief has always been that speaking many language has been a survival mechanism and for international trade. But I am no expert. People/Countries that speak many languages always interest me, because there is history behind it.

Apparently, the Dutch Language is a West Germanic Language, but so is English (believe it or not).

I have to admit I was surprised when I saw Holland had its own X-Factor. They all speak Dutch, I guess (can't understand it)......but they mostly sing in English.

X-Factor Holland (youtube) -- with English subtitles
I liked this guy. Sings some Elvis, but the crowd stood up for his Bad Company song.

ambtndplyr

379 posts
Joined 02/2009

first time i went to vegas...no kidding. grandma on my way from atl to vegas asks "where u from?" - "germany" - "you tryn to escape the war?"

but of course there are also very educated and sophisticated people, from my just finished africa trip my group had 2 american women (21 and 30) and they seemed to know more about europe than i did

makes obv a lot of sense with so many people in the us that there are some dumb ones, and some clever ones.doesnt make a lot of sense to make averages or lump them together

huntse

1432 posts
Joined 11/2010

like Ireland is england.

I think you mean Scotland is part of England.

HJD

1017 posts
Joined 05/2010

the "like ireland is england" comment i imagine is referencing the fact that netherlands is not part of germany, but people think it is, just like ireland is not part of the UK/england even if people lump us together.

fredd-bird

68 posts
Joined 04/2008

American's think everyone speaks English. We're usually right too.

Hielko

4408 posts
Joined 07/2008

My personal impression of people from the Netherlands, has always been that they speak 4-6 languages. Of course that is a result of meeting people while traveling and at international companies.

Sample size. I would guess most speak only dutch and english at a decent level, and maybe a little bit german and french.

PrinzVonHapunkt

1521 posts
Joined 12/2010

this thread doesnt seem too amusing anymore, I'm gonna put on my Lederhosen and go drink Bier on the sun-lounger I have reserved this morning by putting my towel on it.
Maybe it's just because I dont have no Humour by der way

SnappieVouz

2620 posts
Joined 03/2009

Sample size. I would guess most speak only dutch and english at a decent level, and maybe a little bit german and french.

yeah, this pretty much sums up my language skill. Well. My english is not great, and my dutch isn't either. We have a very difficult language!

Zitouni

Section 9
573 posts
Joined 12/2008

Sneakers

2022 posts
Joined 09/2009

Wow! Give yourself more credit. Your English is very good. I have read quite a few of your postings, and you communicate on a lot of topics very well.

n0whereman

3107 posts
Joined 01/2008

yeah, this pretty much sums up my language skill. Well. My english is not great, and my dutch isn't either. We have a very difficult language!

fwiw i'd consider you fluent in english, at least in terms of writing

SnappieVouz

2620 posts
Joined 03/2009

haha Thank you, i do think it can become a bit better. Especially the vocabulary. Sometimes I am lost for words which I find annoying.

I sound like Heilko. Dutch people speaking english always is a bit of a ´funny´ accent, imo

Sounded Simple

1009 posts
Joined 03/2008

haha Thank you, i do think it can become a bit better. Especially the vocabulary. Sometimes I am lost for words which I find annoying.

I sound like Heilko. Dutch people speaking english always is a bit of a ´funny´ accent, imo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRfluaMKoOY

sthief09

3115 posts
Joined 07/2007

HomePoker ForumsGeneral Poker Discussion → Does american really think....