General Poker Discussion Poker Forums

Page 6: Low Carb High Fat eating

or track by Email or RSS

nawhead

2485 posts
Joined 10/2009

The oecd has done studies of obesity by country using BMI as the measure. They back up the anecdote about Korea and Japan having very low obesity rates. Lots of online resources link this, but The economist for example is one.

i'm probably wrong then. or too critical when i think any noticeable belly fat = fat.

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_mass_index#Limitations_and_shortcomings :

"BMI also does not account for body frame size; A person may have a small frame and be carrying too much excess fat, but their BMI reflects that they are "healthy"."

Posted over 2 years ago

Tuneman07

381 posts
Joined 06/2011

This thread has really motivated me, I've decided to go all out on LCHF this February to attempt to get rid of my beer gut. I've just taken a before pic front and side so if it goes well I'll report the difference.

This is pretty cool, I love when people try low carb for the first time I've had a bunch of friends try it since I lost a bunch of weight on it and they are all amazed.

Gotta watch onions- a lot of carbs in an onion.

Watch out for Asian food in general- I love Asian food but they seem to work sugar into every single sauce somehow. If it has a sauce you can bet it has carbs, sometimes a shocking amount.

In general your first couple days will be rough- somewhere around day 3 I hit a "wall" every time and I feel like killing someone for a plate of pasta (which I normally don't even eat much of). Get through day 5 or so and you will be amazed at how your apetite disappears- all cravings gone.

Posted over 2 years ago

iluv68

666 posts
Joined 03/2011

My daily diet:

Breakfast (7a.m.):
Coffee + added raw sugar Undecided
blueberries mixed with Greek Yogurt
2 scrambled eggs w/a mix of: green peppers, olives, mushrooms, onions, broccoli, sharp cheddar cheese

Mid-morning snack:
At least a handful of nuts (primarily almonds)

Lunch (12pm):
Salad w/a mix of: spinach, avacado, cabbage, beans, carrots, green peppers, olives, parmesan cheese, balsamic vinegar
1-2 small chicken breasts or 1 chicken sausage (no preservatives added)
A small bag of chips (or baked pita chips) w/hummus or homemade salsa: avacado, tomatoes, onions, jalapeno, cilantro, black beans

Afternoon snack (if needed):
More nuts Undecided

Dinner:
2 quesedilla (no preservatives, 3 ingredients) w/ cheese, pink salt (I prefer over normal table salt), humus, very small amount of hot sauce (contains preservatives Frown)
or
2 chicken breasts (made different ways for variety - with spices, rarely marinated)
or
Vegetable soup with fresh vegetables w/added chicken breast
and
Salad (similar one to ones above)
and a piece of dark chocolate Smile at least 1 a day (of course with no added preservatives, etc.)

Before bed:
I normally drink a glass of 2% milk (mostly from habit growing up)

On days I workout afterwards I make this rockin shake:
4 ice cubes
2% Milk
Banana
Peanut Butter (made with only peanuts Wink, no preservatives)
Whey protein

I wanted to post this to see what you guys think I might be missing. I also hoped to give ideas for food/ what I do for a daily diet (I like eating these things it's not just to be eating "healthy" Wink) I know some things aren't the greatest (chips, etc.), but overall I think it's pretty good. I wish I liked fish Frown I tried so hard.

I think I can add more: oils (flax, extra virgin, etc.), red meat (steak, occasional hamburger), more variety of vegetables.

I think I do well in: not eating any type of bread, cereal, limiting my fruit to only small amount of blueberries and 1 piece at night (post-workouts generally), keeping away from trans-fats, hydrogenated oils, trying to keep anything I buy that is in cans/bottles to have as little as ingredients as possible (no preservatives)

Posted over 2 years ago

gazavat

25 posts
Joined 08/2008

[quote

What's you guys feelings on breakfast cereals? I don't mean the sugar coated crap of course. What about:
a) Oatmeal
b) Muesli
c) 100% Wholegrain cereals like shredded wheat.
[/quote]

Whole oats that are soaked the day before is kinda acceptable, but soaked buckwheat is a much better choice. Muesli or cereals is crap for sure.

Posted over 2 years ago

yurgs

13 posts
Joined 10/2010

What's you guys feelings on breakfast cereals? I don't mean the sugar coated crap of course. What about:
a) Oatmeal
b) Muesli
c) 100% Wholegrain cereals like shredded wheat.

Oatmeal, hands down.

Posted over 2 years ago

gazavat

25 posts
Joined 08/2008

I will not be drinking any beer or high carb drinks whatsoever. If I drink any alcohol it's going to be either Bloody Mary, Wine or Jack-Daniels-DietCoke.

Let me know if any of the food list is inappropriate.

Any drink besides water, tea is a marginal idea. Milk and coffee are probably ok for you, but go for raw milk or fermented versions of milk.

Posted over 2 years ago

yurgs

13 posts
Joined 10/2010

iluv68, its kinda hard for others to pass comment/make suggestions without knowing your goals/lifestyle. Can only assume you are a regular gym goer from you mentioning a PWO shake.

Your PWO shake looks fine, how does it taste with ice cubes? I use something similar but never tried ice cubes before...Though I personally would advocate Casin instead of Whey, or at least a blend of the two. Honey would also work instead of PB. I would definately add 35g of Casein Protein to your glass of milk prior to bed.
My PWO shake is:
1 Banana
1 Cup Milk (full cream/fat)
50g Casein Protein (occ. 25g Whey & 25g Casein)
1 Tablespoon Honey

My diet is a bit more full on, though specifically geared to towards my training, my macro breakdown is roughly 350g/400g/120g of P/C/F respectively. Thats roughy 4k calories per day, usually like to bump up to 4.5k per day, split over 4-6 meals, with 2 shakes.

Posted over 2 years ago

iluv68

666 posts
Joined 03/2011

I guess, I am just "living a healthy lifestyle". I have no specific goals in working out other than maintaining a healthy body. I am not training for anything - just keeping baseline fit.

Posted over 2 years ago

n0whereman

3107 posts
Joined 01/2008

A couple things

1) I fucking hate BMI. It's awful. I'm 5'9" 175# with reasonably visible abs and I'm considered overweight.
2) Unless you weigh like 300#, I don't see any good reason to eat 350g protein/day.

Posted over 2 years ago

yurgs

13 posts
Joined 10/2010

I guess, I am just "living a healthy lifestyle". I have no specific goals in working out other than maintaining a healthy body. I am not training for anything - just keeping baseline fit.

sounds great then!!

Posted over 2 years ago

yurgs

13 posts
Joined 10/2010

A couple things

1) I fucking hate BMI. It's awful. I'm 5'9" 175# with reasonably visible abs and I'm considered overweight.
2) Unless you weigh like 300#, I don't see any good reason to eat 350g protein/day.

1) I 100% agree with you!
2) I 100% disagree with you, I dont recommend it for many, but specific training requires it!

Posted over 2 years ago

karmabobby

455 posts
Joined 05/2010

Im obese according to BMI which is loltastic, I have a 32" waist and Im 203lbs

Posted over 2 years ago

nawhead

2485 posts
Joined 10/2009

My daily diet:

looks like an obsession with leafy and low fat stuff with very little real, satiating foods. is this an ideal day for you for what you actually eat? i think i'd be angry going to bed on a diet like this...

this is the LCHF thread, you might want to check out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSeSTq-N4U4

not to be too critical since i think your diet is better than most, but we have some very different ideas of what "healthy" eating is.

my macro breakdown is roughly 350g/400g/120g of P/C/F respectively

i'm sorry to hear that. you must work out from dawn to dusk.

Posted over 2 years ago

n0whereman

3107 posts
Joined 01/2008

2) I 100% disagree with you, I dont recommend it for many, but specific training requires it!

Can you explain? I've never read anything recommending more than maybe 1.2g/# even if you're doing like SS.

Posted over 2 years ago

yurgs

13 posts
Joined 10/2010

i'm sorry to hear that. you must work out from dawn to dusk.

not at all, pretty standard for my stats and goals.

Posted over 2 years ago

HomePoker ForumsGeneral Poker Discussion → Low Carb High Fat eating