General Poker Discussion Poker Forums

Page 11: Low Carb High Fat eating

or track by Email or RSS

CDA

1526 posts
Joined 01/2009

People keep mentioning chicken and chicken sandwiches. I dunno how they're getting their chicken, but it seems mostly from buying parts of chicken--breasts or whatever.

Best way to make chicken, imo...just buy the whole damn bird. It's like $4 (which, imo, instantly negates the argument that you can't eat healthy cheaply).

Now that you've got a bird (a whole fryer usually), take out the giblets and cut a lemon in half, stick one half in the neck, and fill the middle with a half an onion, some chopped carrots, a garlic clove, and then the other half of the lemon. You don't have to close the cavity opening, but you can if you want.

Stick your chicken in a pan and salt it with some kind of coarse salt (you can spread butter or olive oil on the skin first if you like). In the meantime, preheat your oven to 425 and roast it for about an hour (it's done when the temp in the middle is about 165). I use an 8'' cast iron skillet for this, works great.

Now you have a perfectly cooked, juicy chicken you can eat as is, or just separate it all and stick it in the fridge for sandwiches. Really good, really easy.

Posted almost 3 years ago

iluv68

666 posts
Joined 03/2011

i consider veggies garnish. i go for most bang for the buck, and that's animal protein and fat. some people like the taste of vegetables, and i might eat some here and there, but i think it's kind of pointless.

i believe there's no biological need for vegetables in the presence of better energy sources, namely animals. this is one of the more pseudoscientific paleo mindsets that i've kept. basically, you can live your whole life eating nothing but animals, i.e. Inuit diet (but i do supplement with vitamins since i don't have easy access to offal). if you were to try the same thing using non-animal sources, you'd have to do what vegans do, which is have this complex store of different plants from around the world year-round to fill out your nutritional requirements.

and since paleolithic man's diet was limited by the seasons, he wouldn't have had access to edible plants year-round, so vegetables (if paleo man could find them) were basically something they ate to keep from dying when there was nothing else, not something they ate for robust health.

and this:
http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/low-carb-library/are-we-meat-eaters-or-vegetarians-part-ii/

exactly. low-fat is a fad and a failed theory based on bad science that's wrecked the health of hundreds of millions of people (as well as the psychological pain it's caused) for the past 30 years.

meat/fat man, why do we have molars? if we just ate meat and fat, it would be easier to have only incisors Spade

Acombfosho

3147 posts
Joined 06/2008

I went on weight watchers back in the day- total starvation the whole way- super low fat, something like 1500 calories a day (I was 340 lbs). I made it 2 weeks, lost 1 pound, and said fuck it obviously I couldn't keep that going.

Went on Atkins, lost about 4 lbs per week eating bacon, eggs, cheese, steak, dark veggies etc... and never looked back.

Low fat isn't going to hurt you, but I'll be damned if someone can lose a significant amount of weight eating like that.

Acombofosho how is your LC going?

Day 5 today and it's so far so good, I really like the food and I am not couting calories, I just eat until I feel satisfied. I haven't weighed myself in months, so I have no idea if I have lost weight - but to me that's not important, I'm feeling better since I am past hitting the wall, and I'm sure im in Ketosis now.

yurgs

13 posts
Joined 10/2010

Fruit and Veggies = Micro-nutrients! Essential for a healthy diet and essential for well...living!!!

Tuneman07

381 posts
Joined 06/2011

Too bad Nawhead isn't running for president, I'd vote for him.

Acombfosho

3147 posts
Joined 06/2008

also posted a breakfast pic... I'm eating it now, its absolutely amazing!

Steppin Razor

Section 9
2237 posts
Joined 12/2009

the one problem with this is that a HUGE percentage of people think low fat = healthy. Take for example yogurt. I guarantee you that 95+% of people would say that yoplait yogurt is healthy, when it's like 2g fat, 8g pro and like 35g carbs (almost all sugar). A cup of non-greek yogurt is normally the equivalent of a can of coke, but the yogurt is "healthy". Same goes for bread/pasta.

I picked up a thing of yogurt when I first got here thinking I could eat yogurt as an alternative to dessert after dinner. I was pretty surprised how much sugar was in it. I was better off getting cookies than yogurt (I didn't).
I'm not giving up bread or milk though. I have a hard enough time finding 29" pants, I can't get any thinner.

n0whereman

3107 posts
Joined 01/2008

I picked up a thing of yogurt when I first got here thinking I could eat yogurt as an alternative to dessert after dinner. I was pretty surprised how much sugar was in it. I was better off getting cookies than yogurt (I didn't).
I'm not giving up bread or milk though. I have a hard enough time finding 29" pants, I can't get any thinner.

milk = good (IMO at least)

SnappieVouz

2620 posts
Joined 03/2009

O shit. Here comes the milk discussion.

iluv68

666 posts
Joined 03/2011

the more fat the better ? Wink

nawhead

2485 posts
Joined 10/2009

def drink whole milk if you're drinking the stuff. organic milk tastes pretty awesome.

it's about more than just waist-size. it's about feeling good and stabilizing our blood sugar levels throughout the day. and in reference to cereal grains, some other anecdotal stuff like improving acne, improving mental health, and other assorted stuff because it's basically poison. but again, not gonna argue these Paleo talking points, so take it for what you will.

Steppin Razor

Section 9
2237 posts
Joined 12/2009

Bread is poison is a pretty tough sell since it's basically responsible for civilization, and life expectancy has only increased since man settled down.

nawhead

2485 posts
Joined 10/2009

Bread is poison is a pretty tough sell since it's basically responsible for civilization, and life expectancy has only increased since man settled down.

are you me?

Steppin Razor

Section 9
2237 posts
Joined 12/2009

are you me?

Smile And I remembered that.(the discussion, not that it was you). I remain unconvinced by the arguments against.

mitch

2039 posts
Joined 01/2008

Terrific timing for my man Sam Harris to step in http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/the-fireplace-delusion

HomePoker ForumsGeneral Poker Discussion → Low Carb High Fat eating