General Poker Discussion Poker Forums

Page 9: Fight for Poker Rights daily action plan

or track by Email or RSS

minimalist

177 posts
Joined 09/2011

Done!

I also think we should take some time to reach out to libertarians. I commented on John Stossel's page asking him to cover the issue if anyone wants to like the comment or add one of their own:

https://www.facebook.com/JohnStossel/posts/10150304186891621

Thanks to the PPA and everyone taking the time to help fight for our poker rights. Smile

Posted almost 3 years ago

TheEngineer

1052 posts
Joined 08/2009

October 3, 2011

Will you take a few moments to stand up for poker? These items take just 30 seconds each to complete. Click your mouse and lose your House and Senate nannies! Let's focus on Senate Republicans John Cornyn (R-TX) and John Barrasso (R-WY) today:

- Like the Facebook posts HERE and HERE (with the new FB update, it appears we no longer have to like main pages first).
- Post and like pro-poker posts HERE and HERE.

Please reply in this thread with posted, tweeted, done, etc. to encourage others to participate. The past 36 actions have generated triple-digit participation, including over 400 participants this weekend, so let's keep it growing. Thanks!

===============

If you wish to do more today, let's continue to reach out to the DoJ. Full Tilt Poker's sale is contingent on a settlement with DoJ. Let's take 30 seconds to ask the DoJ to first obtain iron-clad guarantees of player repayment and then to fast-track settlement of all outstanding issues with Full Tilt Poker to allow this sale to proceed, because I'd like my money back and I know you do too!

- Like and post pro-poker posts on the main DoJ FB page HERE.

- Like these three pro-poker comments HERE, HERE, and HERE.
- Tweet the prefilled, editable messages HERE. It's best to edit a bit, but it's not necessary. The important thing is that it's sent.

Some contact info:

- Department of Justice Main Switchboard: (202) 514-2000
-Office of the Attorney General Public Comment Line: (202) 353-1555
-Office of the Attorney General: (202) 514-2001

The DoJ testified to Congress their opinion that Americans are not breaking federal law in playing (they believe sites themselves are not lawful, though): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTvd8...outu.be&t=2m8s.

Some tips:

- If you do not wish to identify yourself as a poker player, perhaps refer to yourself as a poker enthusiast or something like that.
- If you wish to state that you have a balance locked up on a site but prefer not to mention that you have played the game online for money, simply do not volunteer the extra information. State that you have money locked up on a site and leave it at that.
- I am not a lawyer, so please do not construe any of this as legal advice.

TheEngineer

1052 posts
Joined 08/2009

October 4, 2011

Will you take a few moments to stand up for poker? These items take just 30 seconds each to complete.

- Send a prefilled, editable pro-poker Twitter message to Sen. John Cornyn (R-TX) HERE and Sen. John Barrasso (R-WY) HERE.
- Try to wait at least an hour, then send these Twitter messages to Sen. Cornyn HERE and Sen. Barrasso HERE.(if you can't wait an hour, it's better to send all of these at once than not at all)
- Try to wait at least another hour, then send these Twitter messages to Sen. Cornyn HERE and Sen. Barrasso HERE.

Please reply in this thread with posted, done, etc. to encourage others to participate. The past 37 actions have generated triple-digit participation, so let's keep it growing. Thanks!

================

If you wish to do more today, let's revisit yesterday's FB action:

- Like the pro-poker post HERE and the pro-poker post HERE. Let's like the pro-poker comments there as well.
- Post and like pro-poker posts on Sen. Cornyn's wall HERE and on Sen. Barrasso's wall HERE, including those made since yesterday's action.

TheEngineer

1052 posts
Joined 08/2009

Done!

I also think we should take some time to reach out to libertarians. I commented on John Stossel's page asking him to cover the issue if anyone wants to like the comment or add one of their own:

https://www.facebook.com/JohnStossel/posts/10150304186891621

Thanks to the PPA and everyone taking the time to help fight for our poker rights. Smile

Thanks for posting there. Stossel has been a great ally of ours, for sure.

TheEngineer

1052 posts
Joined 08/2009

Additionally, the new PPA prewritten, full editable letter to Congress has just been posted. Simply click HERE to send it to your elected representatives!

Justice88

774 posts
Joined 03/2008

sajeffe

290 posts
Joined 04/2010

Joe Tall

6695 posts
Joined 11/2006

soleztis

DC Dalai Lama
1026 posts
Joined 09/2010

ccheiden

481 posts
Joined 06/2009

TheEngineer

1052 posts
Joined 08/2009

Today's PPA weekly update:

Update: Full Tilt Deal, Global Gaming Expo – 10/04/2011
http://theppa.org/newsletters/2011/10/03/update-full-tilt-deal-global-gaming-expo-10042011/

Weekly Update from Rich Muny, VP of Player Relations

The big news this week, of course, is the signing of the acquisition agreement between Groupe Bernard Tapie and Full Tilt Poker. Player repayment is being promised by the parties involved. Here is a quote from a Washington Post article on the matter:

“Full Tilt said the agreement includes a plan to repay balances of players worldwide who haven’t had access to their gambling funds since April.”

Needless to say, it is my hope that we all get repaid in full as soon as possible. More specifically, it is my hope that the Justice Department will, once obtaining iron-clad guarantees of repayment from any party wishing to purchase Full Tilt Poker, work to fast-track settlement of all outstanding issues. As the DoJ has identified players as the victims in all of this, I expect they will welcome a settlement that addresses player restitution.

For more on this issue:

- 9/30/2011: Associated Press — Full Tilt Poker: French tycoon Tapie agreed to buy
- 9/30/2011: Washington Post: Full Tilt Poker says French business tycoon Bernard Tapie agrees to buy online poker company
- Two Plus Two Discussion: Full Tilt Poker and Groupe Bernard Tapie Sign Acquisition Agreement
- Pocket Fives Discussion: FTP signs agreement with investor

Take Action

Simply go to http://go.theppa.org/federal-letter and in less than thirty seconds you can send our new, fully editable prewritten letter directly to the email inbox of your elected representatives. Better yet, create your own message and tell them in your own words to support your poker freedom via legislation like H.R. 2366.

To ensure that your elected representatives know you demand your rights, please bookmark the daily action plan and check it out every day. I update it every morning with new actions we can take to stand up for the game. These take just thirty seconds to complete! We have received excellent feedback on the effectiveness of these actions, so please join in:

Fight for Poker Rights Daily Action Plan on Two Plus Two
Fight for Poker Rights Daily Action Plan on PocketFives
Fight for Poker Rights Daily Action Plan on Deuces Cracked

Interviews

PPA comes before poker media to take on the tough questions as often as possible, as the questions we receive at these interviews are representative of the issues in which the poker community is most interested. I appeared on Short Stacked Radio last Tuesday (click here to listen…I come on at time point 1:29:00) and answered lots of questions. I will be back on their program this evening (9/4) at 9:30 pm ET. You can listen live at http://shortstackedradio.com/radio . If you have a question for me that you would like me to address on the show, please email it to me so I can answer it for you.

Thank you again for your support!

Proud to play,

Rich Muny
playerrelations@theppa.org
www.facebook.com/rich.muny

----------------------------------------

PPA Report from Gaming Conferences

For the past few days the PPA has attended and participated in two of the largest annual conferences of the gaming industry. On Sunday, the PPA helped to arrange a keynote speech delivered by Congressman Joe Barton, author of the Online Poker Act of 2011, at the International Association of Gaming Advisors in Las Vegas. Influential gaming attorneys, industry executives and key state and tribal regulators crowded the room to hear Congressman Barton deliver a candid view on the prospects of federal legislation. In short, he expressed optimism that a deal could be struck over the next six months and that several opportunities will present themselves in which to include Internet poker legislation. First and foremost being the newly created Deficit Super Committee which will need to make recommendations to Congress before Thanksgiving. Further, Congressman Barton said he believes his bill (H.R. 2366) will be given a hearing in the House Energy and Commerce Committee in the coming weeks. This is welcomed news and provides us a great forum to explain the merits of appropriate regulation in a public setting. Please stay tuned for more information on the exact timing of a hearing on Joe Barton’s H.R. 2366.

On Monday, the PPA attended a full day of meetings and panel discussions at the Global Gaming Expo’s iGaming Congress. The fact that the Global Gaming Expo which is sponsored by the American Gaming Association (a coalition of U.S. brick and mortar gaming interests) has dedicated a full day of its conference to discuss Internet gaming, and primarily Internet poker, represents a huge evolution in support for this online game of skill. The PPA plays an important role at these meetings to ensure that the viewpoints of the players do not get lost in the discussion of how gaming companies can best monetize their interests in cyberspace. Gaming operators cannot credibly talk about potential revenues and business opportunities until they fully realize that the consumer will ultimately drive the Internet marketplace. The PPA will continue to provide the players a voice at these conferences and others. And, we will continue our advocacy efforts in Washington D.C. and elsewhere so that lawmakers understand the importance of the player in the larger debate about regulation of Internet poker.

----------------------------------------------------------

The PPA wishes to keep active members like you updated on the latest poker advocacy news by periodically sending out select events and headlines. We hope you find it informative and thank you for your continuing support.

Indicted Banker and Payment Processor Fight Federal Crackdown On Online Poker With Powerful Legal Papers – Forbes (10/02/2011)
Global Gaming Expo’s spotlight turns to Internet – Las Vegas Review-Journal (10/02/2011)
Alderney Gambling Control Commission Addresses Full Tilt Poker Players (10/03/2011)
Full Tilt Poker’s Acquirer Shows His Cards – New York Times (10/03/2011)Defense puts cards on table in NYC poker case – BusinessWeek (10/03/2011)
Full Tilt Rescue May Give Stake to Customers – Wall Street Journal (10/04/2011)

- Read more news click here
- Receive PPA featured headlines on a daily basis, click here

- Tell a friend to sign up by going to theppa.org/subscribe

minimalist

177 posts
Joined 09/2011

Today I have posted a message to one of the most widely recognized libertarians of our time, Ron Paul. Please like, comment, and share a similar message of your own. Please feel free to copy any part of the response; if it helps you articulate your argument, use it!

Please note that Ron Paul has an extremely active page, so I highly encourage everyone to post a response to his wall several times throughout the day for maximum exposure.

https://www.facebook.com/ronpaul/posts/10150335429586686

As always, thanks to those who help out in any way, shape, or form. Smile

TheEngineer

1052 posts
Joined 08/2009

I liked it Minimalist. Thanks for posting it.

TheEngineer

1052 posts
Joined 08/2009

October 5, 2011

Will you take a few moments to stand up for poker? These items take just 30 seconds each to complete. Let's focus on deficit super committee member and House Energy and Commerce Committee Chair Rep. Fred Upton (R-MI) and House Judiciary Committee Chair Rep. Lamar Smith (R-TX).

- Like the pro-poker Facebook posts on both of Rep. Upton's FB pages HERE and HERE. Let's like the pro-poker comments there as well.
- Post and like pro-poker comments on Rep. Smith's wall HERE and HERE. You don't have to like the main (non-poker) post to like the comments. As a time-saving measure, try using CTRL-F to search for the term poker, using highlight all.
- Send a prefilled, editable pro-poker Twitter message to Rep. Upton HERE and Rep. Smith HERE.
- Try to wait at least an hour, then send the Twitter messages HERE and HERE. (if you can't wait an hour, it's better to send all of these at once than not at all)
- Try to wait at least another hour, then send the Twitter messages HERE and HERE.

Please reply in this thread with posted, done, sent etc. to encourage others to participate. The past 38 actions have generated triple-digit participation, so let's keep it growing. Thanks!

================

If you wish to do more today, please send the new (as of yesterday) PPA prewritten, fully editable letter to Congress. Simply click HERE to send it. If you sent it yesterday, please have your friends and family send letters. Feel free to offer to send it for them (once obtaining their permission, of course).

minimalist

177 posts
Joined 09/2011

Hi,

Can you post the PPA Twitter account URL? I will be glad to follow and RT key tweets. I urge others to do the same if you are on Twitter.

HomePoker ForumsGeneral Poker Discussion → Fight for Poker Rights daily action plan