or track by Email or RSS

maglame

1015 posts
Joined 04/2010

TecmoSuperBowl

Tribe Leader
5690 posts
Joined 01/2009

I can't imagine a scenario where meeting intelligent alien species turns out good for us.

I just typed out a sweet response and then my dog closed the browser. I basically said that aliens smart enough to reach us might be peaceful for 2 reasons:

1. If they were like us in nature, yet smarter or more evolved, they would kill themselves by the time they reached the necessary point in technological evolution.

2. They likely realize peaceful approaches > "I DON'T LIKE YER KIND, LET'S GET 'EM FELLERS."

Then I said that all of this was obv based on nothing at all.

Posted over 6 years ago

mitch

2039 posts
Joined 01/2008

I just typed out a sweet response and then my dog closed the browser.

Obviously he doesn't want you to get the word out about something...

Posted over 6 years ago

TecmoSuperBowl

Tribe Leader
5690 posts
Joined 01/2009

http://i.imgur.com/ytH4n.jpg

Perfect.

Posted over 6 years ago

maglame

1015 posts
Joined 04/2010

I disagree. Both evolution and social Darwinism would still apply. Whatever group of aliens find us will most likely be self preserving, and if you look at why they would be traveling through space, the most likely reason is the inherit scarcity of the universe. They are likely looking for resources, and we would be in their way (unless we are a potential source of food or something).

If we happened to stumble upon some less intelligent species than ourselves, that would obviously be really boring. If we stumble upon a species that is as advanced as we are at that point, and that also faces the same challenge of scarcity that we do, and also is serf preserving... Well we might win the war but it would probably not be a net gain for our species.

Posted over 6 years ago

TecmoSuperBowl

Tribe Leader
5690 posts
Joined 01/2009

Anyone have any good book suggestions (theist, atheist, or otherwise) for someone who's not sure about the existence of God? Basically I'm on the fence and I'm looking to hop into one side or the other.

I read this book during college, along with parts of The Bible, in an effort to quell my skepticism and help me understand those who believe. It didn't help.

In the interest of full disclosure, my girlfriend at the time was big into religion so that was part of my motivation behind it. We ultimately broke up because we were so diametrically opposed on a topic that was a great importance to her, which I just couldn't grasp.

There might be better books out there (I've perused some of Dawkins' work), but you likely aren't on the fence for real. Play the "flip a coin" game where you pick between 2 options. Whichever one you feel yourself yearning toward when the coin is in the air is the one you really favor. Whatever books you find will likely help you cement your belief on either side, but who knows Smile

Posted over 6 years ago

maglame

1015 posts
Joined 04/2010

Anything Dawkins is probably worthwhile. I would specifically recommend The God Delusion, as it's aimed at people who are on the fence.

And God Is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens is a great read, but it's about how evil religion is, not why it isn't true.

Posted over 6 years ago

TecmoSuperBowl

Tribe Leader
5690 posts
Joined 01/2009

The question is so broad that it's hard to even comprehend. Like, how they would physically look. Considering how small we are in relation to so many things, another species could easily be the size of Texas or as small as an electron. They could reflect light differently or somehow be in a different dimension. I think chances are good that there is SOME form of alternate life out there, but I doubt it looks like anything we can conceive.

I bet they have big boobs though. Darwinism at its best.

Posted over 6 years ago

TecmoSuperBowl

Tribe Leader
5690 posts
Joined 01/2009

Anything Dawkins is probably worthwhile. I would specifically recommend The God Delusion, as it's aimed at people who are on the fence.

I enjoyed The God Delusion, but bear in mind that Dawkins is NOT on the fence himself and it shows. Definitely worth checking out though.

Posted over 6 years ago

TtheAntlers

1272 posts
Joined 01/2010

I read this book during college, along with parts of The Bible, in an effort to quell my skepticism and help me understand those who believe. It didn't help.

In the interest of full disclosure, my girlfriend at the time was big into religion so that was part of my motivation behind it. We ultimately broke up because we were so diametrically opposed on a topic that was a great importance to her, which I just couldn't grasp.

There might be better books out there (I've perused some of Dawkins' work), but you likely aren't on the fence for real. Play the "flip a coin" game where you pick between 2 options. Whichever one you feel yourself yearning toward when the coin is in the air is the one you really favor. Whatever books you find will likely help you cement your belief on either side, but who knows Smile

Ninja-edited b/c I didn't really think this thread was the correct place for reading recommendations, but it seems worth checking out. Smile
I'm actually what I'm calling 'on the fence' because this thread has got me thinking about if I'm just a theist because my parents are and that's what I was brought up in. I think someone posted a Dawkins (?) quote to that effect earlier. My aim is to remove influences that compel me to practice religion, learn arguments both for and against God and determine for myself if it's still meaningful and worthwhile. You're right, I probably don't fit the definition of agnostic, I'm probably just ag-curious. Poke Tongue

Posted over 6 years ago

maglame

1015 posts
Joined 04/2010

I enjoyed The God Delusion, but bear in mind that Dawkins is NOT on the fence himself and it shows. Definitely worth checking out though.

Ofc he isn't, he is one of the greater minds of our time.

Posted over 6 years ago

TecmoSuperBowl

Tribe Leader
5690 posts
Joined 01/2009

Ofc he isn't, he is one of the greater minds of our time.

lol

When looking for unbiased references, I don't generally recommend the works of an avid X on either side of the issue, but TGD is still good stuff.

That'd be like recommending a Joel Osteen book titled "The God Fact."

Posted over 6 years ago

"GLUIPERIG"

1607 posts
Joined 01/2011

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee....the question did what it was intended to do. Smile I know that the proof of aliens and the proof of God are two different things. I was just getting tired of the whole, "you're irrational because you think God is real and here's why" stuff. Smile I get that mathematically and scientifically there is no evidence that God exists and at the same time can be used to debunk religion to an extent, but the argument that the universe is just too big for there not to be other life forms is just as an irrational thought IMO. They are kind of related and technically kind of the same. Ok, so maybe some of the numbers are wrong that some religions are preaching, but if the stories of Apostle Paul, Mathew, Luke, etc. are true, then numbers shmumbers. What Jesus did and who He was was still very much real. Again, clearly I approached this thread wrong and maybe we should keep it to God existing vs not existing instead of athiest vs Christianity/The Bible. Or is that what this was meant to be?

Posted over 6 years ago

TecmoSuperBowl

Tribe Leader
5690 posts
Joined 01/2009

if the stories of Apostle Paul, Mathew, Luke, etc. are true, then numbers shmumbers. What Jesus did and who He was was still very much real.

You can't really gloss over the first part of this and assume they are in fact true lol. The same goes for who Jesus was, what he did, or if he even existed.

Posted over 6 years ago

TecmoSuperBowl

Tribe Leader
5690 posts
Joined 01/2009

the argument that the universe is just too big for there not to be other life forms is just as an irrational thought IMO. They are kind of related and technically kind of the same.

Aliens = any sort of other life that has formed in this massive universe over the course of time.

God = all-powerful kick-ass dude who created everything and is sick good at the pokerz.

These are not the same imo.

Posted over 6 years ago

HomePoker ForumsGeneral Poker Discussion → Religion thread