General Poker Discussion Poker Forums

Page 17: Religion thread

or track by Email or RSS

SCS

6524 posts
Joined 06/2008

how many of you think that when thats it. thats it...? no more rebuys. you are done. Is it a comforting thought?

Yes, to both questions. For me it makes life more meaningful.

i think thats why we reckon its real, we want the rebuy period to last eternity

Would you really want to live forever though?

Posted over 3 years ago

"GLUIPERIG"

1607 posts
Joined 01/2011

I don't believe that that's it, but that's why I believe in God and everything else. For those that don't believe in God, that's it. Smile Pretty simple and both sides are entitled to what they stand for. Just hate trying to prove one side or another...that's like pulling teeth. ha ha ha

Posted over 3 years ago

"GLUIPERIG"

1607 posts
Joined 01/2011

And also, I'm assuming that atheists don't believe in ghosts, or even aliens right? Because there's no physical proof of either exhisting? I just remember someone earlier saying it's unbelievable and irrational to think that we are the only ones in this universe, however, there's no physical proof. Just a thought.

Posted over 3 years ago

SCS

6524 posts
Joined 06/2008

And also, I'm assuming that atheists don't believe in ghosts, or even aliens right? Because there's no physical proof of either exhisting? I just remember someone earlier saying it's unbelievable and irrational to think that we are the only ones in this universe, however, there's no physical proof. Just a thought.

I believe that there is a good possibility that alien life form exists somewhere else in the universe, though I obviously have no proof of this.

If we are talking about aliens coming to earth to anal probe rednecks, then no. I find that to be highly unlikely, although I can't prove that it doesn't exist.

Posted over 3 years ago

slycebu

961 posts
Joined 09/2009

There's a difference between believing/not believing in ghosts/the boogeyman/Santa Claus/centaurs/etc. and believing/not believing in the possibility of life on other planets. It doesn't matter whether you're a fundamentalist, agnostic, or an atheist to understand the difference (barring aliens who want to alien probe rednecks lol).

Posted over 3 years ago

tubasteve

7647 posts
Joined 11/2007

i believe aliens exist because the universe contains trillions of stars, and life on earth is made of the most common elements in the universe, in the same approximate order (saw that in a video somewhere). i don't have hard evidence per se, but via inference we can conclude that its unlikely that the earth is particularly special.

Posted over 3 years ago

nawhead

2485 posts
Joined 10/2009

I think this was kind fail. If it's all powerful then certainly it could hide if it wanted to, no?

If you mean that a God that doesn't involve himself in any way in our lives isn't worth thinking too much about, then that makes more sense. I.e. if there is a God, but he doesn't care what we do, and doesn't involve himself in any of it, then as far as life on earth goes there might as well not be a God.

@maglame

well, you can break it down by intent.

if god has intent to hide as in "god doesn't give evidence so you can prove your faith" then it's just rationalizing. like god plays leveling games with its worshipers to psyche them out or something. once you start these half-baked theories to make the lack of evidence work in favor of the existence of god, it's just... i don't know there's probably a formal debate term for this... i just call it baseless rationalizing.

but if god has no intent to hide and at the same time doesn't desire worship, since we don't have sufficient evidence or are unable to comprehend the evidence around us using the most advanced form of thinking devised yet, then it's a moot point, you're right.

Posted over 3 years ago

nawhead

2485 posts
Joined 10/2009

@"GLUIPERIG"

there's a difference on a logical level. there is no precedence for supernatural beings. so believing in stuff like that, god, ghosts, magical fairies, etc. requires extraordinary evidence. but aliens are not supernatural beings (maybe technologically advanced aliens would seem to have magical powers). it's just other living creatures on other planets. that's not a fantastical claim once you realize how many stars and galaxies and clusters there are in existence.

it's like saying there are multiple lottery winners in a 100-number lottery. if there are 10 tickets out there, that would be a fantastical claim. if there are billions of gazillions of millions times billions of tickets out there (and this is probably a low estimate of how many other planets there are), then it's not such a fantastic claim.

This is how big the universe is, as we know it now.

video segment from Stephen Hawking's Into The Universe

OTOH, aliens flying around between Earth's military defense satellites and radars, coming into my house and doing medical experiments while leaving no evidence IS A FANTASTICAL CLAIM and needs extraordinary evidence.

Posted over 3 years ago

maglame

1015 posts
Joined 04/2010

@nawhead: Well if there is a God it's far more likely that no one on earth is worshiping that specific God than that they are. Because all our religions are almost certainly man made. I just said that if there is a God he could hide. If he couldn't he wouldn't be very God-like Poke Tongue

And aliens seem rather likely. Hopefully they don't find us.

Posted over 3 years ago

slycebu

961 posts
Joined 09/2009

If God is all powerful, can He make a rock so heavy He can't lift it?

Sorry, couldn't resist. The notion that God, being all powerful, must be capable of hiding Himself reminded me of that (theoretical question - would a God who hid himself in every possible way still be a God?).

Posted over 3 years ago

TtheAntlers

1270 posts
Joined 01/2010

I just said that if there is a God he could hide. If he couldn't he wouldn't be very God-like

But if he did hide, that wouldn't be very godlike either, would it?

And aliens seem rather likely. Hopefully they don't find us.

Hopefully when they hop off the saucer and say "We come in peace" we'll skip straight to the bit where we start shooting. Unless they've taken the "Something Wicked" strategy, in which case they're already here and we're one two-hour metal opera away from annihilation.

Posted over 3 years ago

maglame

1015 posts
Joined 04/2010

I can't imagine a scenario where meeting intelligent alien species turns out good for us.

Posted over 3 years ago

maglame

1015 posts
Joined 04/2010

But if he did hide, that wouldn't be very godlike either, would it?

Maybe God has a different favorite universe, and just really doesn't want to deal with those pesky humans in our universe?

Posted over 3 years ago

TtheAntlers

1270 posts
Joined 01/2010

I can't imagine a scenario where meeting intelligent alien species turns out good for us.

They could deem us too insignificant to be worth bothering. Bad for self-esteem, but otherwise harmless.

Posted over 3 years ago

TtheAntlers

1270 posts
Joined 01/2010

Maybe God has a different favorite universe, and just really doesn't want to deal with those pesky humans in our universe?

So god has the ability to go zipping through the multiverse but it's too big a pain to pop in now and then?

not sure if serious...

Posted over 3 years ago

HomePoker ForumsGeneral Poker Discussion → Religion thread