General Poker Discussion Poker Forums

Page 76: FBI taking down poker domains (locked)

or track by Email or RSS

drunk_bunny

150 posts
Joined 06/2010

[quote]I'm listening to it now, and had no idea that a Matusow could actually discuss {FILL IN THE BLANK} and sound knowledgeable. ]

couldn't agree more Smile

Posted over 3 years ago Topic is locked.

WiltOnTilt

2650 posts
Joined 10/2007

Not sure if this has been mentioned yet: http://twitter.com/#!/DanFleyshman/status/59711049749889025
@DanFleyshman : Asked the Cake Network to BLOCK US players from the Victory Poker site. They are supportive of my decision. Hope it gets regulated 1 day!

The guy has ignored my PM to him on 2p2 (weeks ago, when he invited ppl to PM him) and my Tweet to him today asking about the status of VP cashouts. Draw your own conclusions about why that might be.

JacknCoke56

404 posts
Joined 08/2009

thoughts on playing on bodog?

Well they are basically given the finger to the government, but if the DOJ does come down on them I think would would have a slim chance of getting your money back from them.

Matt Flynn

403 posts
Joined 07/2007

One lawyer's view on this

Another lawyer's cliff notes and opinions

The first one appears the more intelligent response. Duping banks on their policies is not a crime. If running a poker site isn't a crime, the DOJ is FOS, and it hardly looks like they've made running a poker site illegal.

I'd love to see this argued in front of a jury. Johnny Cochrane would've killed the DOJ on this.

drunk_bunny

150 posts
Joined 06/2010

I want to agree with you, but I think the Wire Fraud is against the government. Basically, money laundering. No real defense against false business fronts.

ah haa! I think I've got it now.

The party responsible for violating The Act would be - The Banks. Why did the banks violate The Act? Because they were tricked.

dayoldhater

698 posts
Joined 08/2009

Really good interview with Durrrr here talking about what he thinks about the future of online poker.

mastertex

529 posts
Joined 03/2008

This is ridiculous. America is the way it is because most people don't understand politics and aren't very smart. Tea baggers, progressives, whoever just don't get it. Unfortunately not knowing what they're talking about doesn't stop most people. The result is a public that rants about the wrong things. There's no point in talking about it here.

Related to poker, most of the country is either bible thumpers, believes poker/gambling is shady, or doesn't care.

Wow.....

soleztis

DC Dalai Lama
1026 posts
Joined 09/2010

Really good interview with Durrrr here talking about what he thinks about the future of online poker.

I got triple range merge leveled on that one

mastertex

529 posts
Joined 03/2008

I think american players are getting what they deserve. Their selfishness and lack of capacity to think beyond their own short term interest was mind numbing. I include 2p2 in this infamous group. They were unable, an unwilling, to use their big audience and nfluence in any serious effort to get things done. I made a thread expressing my concerns about this months ago that got locked http://www.deucescracked.com/forums/4-General-Discussion/topics/231751-2p2-forums-going-down-the#post_1907391 and now the facts are saying I was right.

You guys got what you deserve. Stop whining like little bitches.

This assumes a group of 30,000 people has any say in what the laws are here. What influence are you speaking of? If sending a letter did anything then it would have already been a done deal.
trapeze until you have the balls to call me a whinning little bitch to my face I suggest you stop your whinning. Just another 160lb internet tough guy. I would love to see you be as tough in a US bar of my choice. Enough said. Sorry not trying to start a fight, but I just don't see where this guy gets off.

Superbibi

24 posts
Joined 03/2009

thoughts on playing on bodog?

If you choose to keep on playing on any US facing site I would advise you to deposit the minimum and only money you're comfortable losing. IMO, most US facing sites still in business will pull out of the market in the next coming days. It's the only logical business decision.

DeathDonkey

5389 posts
Joined 11/2006

I think some of you guys are blaming the wrong people. You should blame the poker sites. If the claims FBI is making turn out to be correct then the management of FT, PS and UB really fucked up.

For the recreational player, I agree with this. But for us pros, I think its a little silly to blame for the poker sites for doing exactly what we hoped they would do. None of us were thanking Party Poker for pulling out of the US market, and none of us should be blaming Stars for the decisions they had to make to *not* pull out. I think blaming the sites at this point is akin to a mafia wife getting upset that the fancy clothes and jewelry she is wearing were paid for with illicit $.

Ms.Bungle

828 posts
Joined 06/2008

God, how I always HATED that f$@king song!!!! Now it never dies!

ambtndplyr

379 posts
Joined 02/2009

could anyone upload that dwan youtube thing to any other videosite or some fileuploadstuff - not allowed to watch in germany due some law stuff
i have a good friend in china who has to connect to facebook only by vpn, no way to browse for foreign newssites etc - whole stuff goin on more and more reminds me :S

Travis Steffen

123 posts
Joined 08/2010

For the recreational player, I agree with this. But for us pros, I think its a little silly to blame for the poker sites for doing exactly what we hoped they would do. None of us were thanking Party Poker for pulling out of the US market, and none of us should be blaming Stars for the decisions they had to make to *not* pull out. I think blaming the sites at this point is akin to a mafia wife getting upset that the fancy clothes and jewelry she is wearing were paid for with illicit $.

I agree. I am personally thankful to FTP and Stars for staying open to US players as long as they did after so many other sites pulled out of the US market. Did they do things in an illegal way to allow us to keep playing - and to keep their billion dollar companies going? Definitely. But the fact is that US players wouldn't have been able to play online for the last 5 or so years if they hadn't.

At the end of the day though it's important to remember that freaking out, blaming people and complaining won't be too productive or useful to anyone. Things have changed in a big way, and your future will be dictated by the decisions you make as a result.

The bottom line is that poker players - in my opinion - are some of the brightest people in the world. Shutting off poker for a while and unleashing their mental prowess on the rest of the world may be a blessing for a lot of other industries who will benefit from the skills, intelligence and passion they have to offer.

Entity

8667 posts
Joined 11/2006

could anyone upload that dwan youtube thing to any other videosite or some fileuploadstuff - not allowed to watch in germany due some law stuff
i have a good friend in china who has to connect to facebook only by vpn, no way to browse for foreign newssites etc - whole stuff goin on more and more reminds me :S

It's just a rickrolling, don't worry about it.

HomePoker ForumsGeneral Poker Discussion → FBI taking down poker domains