General Poker Discussion Poker Forums

Page 9: The Primal Blueprint

or track by Email or RSS

djcollin

212 posts
Joined 01/2008

yet i'm starting to suspect my body's already becoming diabetic.

Eliminating most carbs will reverse this.

Posted over 3 years ago

JacknCoke56

404 posts
Joined 08/2009

The link between eggs and type-2 diabetes was based on a flawed study, IIRC.

Rob

excellent good to know

Posted over 3 years ago

nawhead

2485 posts
Joined 10/2009

@ n0whereman

yet i'm starting to suspect my body's already becoming diabetic. i feel it in my body and my emotions.

??? These things can be measured, you know.

i probably should, but does having comfirmation really matter if i already subjectively feel worse and are taking steps on my own?

There's some discussions I have with Travis Steffen in his shuffle and flow series where I provide a TON of links to scientific papers that discuss low-carb eating habits, why saturated not fat is bad (this is relevant for eggs), and other stuff.

http://www.deucescracked.com/videos/7221-Episode-Six

was just reading this last night... sick thread!

@ djcollin

Eliminating most carbs will reverse this.

for breakfast this morning: sirloin steak, half a tomato, spring greens, a few onion slices. Poke Tongue

Posted over 3 years ago

Acombfosho

3147 posts
Joined 06/2008

djcollin

Could you go into more detail about why you started your lifestyle choice?

(I was going to put diet instead of lifestyle, but from your posts I can tell that this is a clear conscious for-the-best-I-can-get-out-of-it choice)

Sounds fascinating.

I agree with the idea in principle, it makes sense, big fish eats little fish etc, but were there any big reasons or evidence that came into your mind to make you think about doing it seriously?

Posted over 3 years ago

n0whereman

3107 posts
Joined 01/2008

]i probably should, but does having comfirmation really matter if i already subjectively feel worse and are taking steps on my own?

thinking you feel better now is great - although since you've been doing this for about 7 days it's almost surely a placebo effect - my point was that "i could feel like i was getting diabetes" is a ridiculous statement. The changes that take place in your body to develop T2DM take years to develop; you are never going to notice a change that indicates NOW you might be be pre-diabetic or whatever. In a related vein, I've said at least fifty times in my life "man I feel warm, I've gotta be sick with a fever" and it turned out I was completely fine. If I can't diagnose own temperature close to accurately, I'm pretty sure you can't diagnose pre-diabetes with your emotions. Smile You don't have to think you are developing a serious medical condition to eat healthy!

Posted over 3 years ago

nawhead

2485 posts
Joined 10/2009

thinking you feel better now is great - although since you've been doing this for about 7 days it's almost surely a placebo effect - my point was that "i could feel like i was getting diabetes" is a ridiculous statement. The changes that take place in your body to develop T2DM take years to develop; you are never going to notice a change that indicates NOW you might be be pre-diabetic or whatever.

lol, yeah i see how ridiculous that statement sounds when it's coming from someone else! let's add hypochondriac to my list of ills too. Smile

most likely it's just normal fatigue of aging and blood sugar fluctuations that everybody feels on the cereal diet. i'll man up and get a proper check up.

i'm a big fan of the placebo effect, or studies done on it. placebo can sometimes last for months. but the no fatigue after meals is pretty real, i think. also, my blood sugar not crashing after 4-5 hours seems real. i even went on a 20 hour intermittent fast last night (getting kinda extreme, i know) and woke up feeling very clear headed, but again, subjective.

Posted over 3 years ago

rocketragz

4036 posts
Joined 11/2008

I meant to say very low carb (like <60g per day), not no-carb. Actually Atkins and other related very low carb diets have been shown in pretty decent scientific studies to be amazing at getting people to lose weight, so I have no idea where you heard that they would make people gain weight more easily.

Foods that spike your insulin are bad whenever they are eaten, (ok maybe not as post workout nutrition) especially if they contain gluten/lectins/other bad stuff that more or less eats at your intestines. What about eating fat before bed? Or protein? Also what does complex carbs even mean (beyond just being a polysaccharide)? Not all carbs/macronutrients/foods are created equal.

I wasn't talking about low carb, I was referring to zero carb diets. Maybe my use of "everyone" was a bit strong, but i do hear a lot of people who at least think they are going to cut carbs out 100%. And for your body being more susceptible to gaining weight on a zero carb diet, i'm not 100% sure as I'm not an expert nutritionist, but iirc it's similar to the same way your body gains weight quickly when you you starve yourself. You know, your body goes into starvation mode and you store food as fat or something along those lines. It's why all these woman who don't eat to lose weight have such problems.

And eating a little bit of fat before bed i hear isn't bad, and not too mention, there are healthy fats as i'm sure you know. And if you work out, then eating protein before bed is essential to muscle growth. And of this also includes eating protein 30min to 1-1/2 hours after working out too.

I guess we could find a definition, but i take complex carbs to be healthy carbs like brown rice, real whole wheat bread etc etc. The healthy carbs and not like white bread etc etc..

Anyway, you sound fairly knowledgeable about this, and I was actually agreeing with what you were saying. Nutrition is something I've been working to improve because up until the past year I was pretty bad with it.

Posted over 3 years ago

Chazb0t

1822 posts
Joined 01/2009

I guess we could find a definition, but i take complex carbs to be healthy carbs like brown rice, real whole wheat bread etc etc. The healthy carbs and not like white bread etc etc...

AFAIK This is a myth... They are pseudo-healthy. They have more B6 and B12 vitamins, they have more fiber. But whatever the type of carbohydrate it will still be broken down into glucose, causes the same insulin response, same inflammation response, same adrenaline and cortisol response, and taxes your pancreas. Have high phytate levels, reduce your body's ability to process vitamin D, leptin resistance, etc...

I think the bottom line is there are no healthy grains...

Posted over 3 years ago

rocketragz

4036 posts
Joined 11/2008

AFAIK This is a myth... They are pseudo-healthy. They have more B6 and B12 vitamins, they have more fiber. But whatever the type of carbohydrate it will still be broken down into glucose, causes the same insulin response, same inflammation response, same adrenaline and cortisol response, and taxes your pancreas. Have high phytate levels, reduce your body's ability to process vitamin D, leptin resistance, etc...

I think the bottom line is there are no healthy grains...

interesting. and i don't know enough to speak further one way or the other. i do personally stay away from carbs for the most part, but i'm not extreme about it. i do recall now though the article i was reading saying to make it a point to eat some carbs one day out of the week and that's it.

Posted over 3 years ago

Chazb0t

1822 posts
Joined 01/2009

interesting. and i don't know enough to speak further one way or the other. i do personally stay away from carbs for the most part, but i'm not extreme about it. i do recall now though the article i was reading saying to make it a point to eat some carbs one day out of the week and that's it.

If you were looking to carb load on purpose or looking for good sources of healthy carbs it is probably better to up your intake with fruit/fruit juices, milk/cheese, potatoes and sweet potatoes.

Posted over 3 years ago

nawhead

2485 posts
Joined 10/2009

Yea, I only eat meat. For the vast majority of our evolution we were hunter-gatherers. The vast majority of plants are toxic to us. Any animal is edible as long as we're strong, quick, or smart enough to catch it. We aren't the strongest or quickest but we did develop large brains and learned to make tools and work in teams.

i'm a big fan of Born To Run and have done a lot of reading on persistence hunting as a result. i think what the paleo/primal diet guys get wrong is that we're evolved to hunt via sprinting and killing an animal in a fight to the death or something. that's just wrong according to current research in this field.

however, we think Neanderthals (who died out about 55,000 years ago) could do this with their larger physique. and they also had larger brains than modern humans. we think this combination of brain and brawn allowed them to do the elaborate trap hunts and go after big animals like wooly mammoths. us humans at the time were too weak and stupid to do such a thing. so paleo diet guys have this romanticized, movie version history of the paleolitithic period and have re-imagined us as Neanderthals.

humans cannot outsprint other animals (i can't even outsprint my dog who sits around the house all day). we are masters at distance, however, and have specialized adaptations for that purpose. the theory is that once the ice age was over, the Neanderthals could not adapt to the hot grassland environment and us puny little hairless running men took over. once we got more protein into our diets, our brains grew bigger. but before then, we were more gatherer than hunter. so eat your greens djcollin Smile

BBC documentary of a persistence hunt in Africa

The Barefoot Professor: by Nature Video

Lieberman's site on running and human evolution

Posted over 3 years ago

PokerWannabe

604 posts
Joined 07/2008

So I read through the whole thread but I'm still not exactly sure what's "correct." If someone (nowhereman ?) could sum up the thread into a few simple rules to follow when eating/shopping I'd appreciate it.

Posted over 3 years ago

nawhead

2485 posts
Joined 10/2009

http://whole9life.com/2010/12/whole30-2011/

the above is a first 30 day paleo guide. it's pretty strict, but it also aims to detox your body, so you could start adding in some comfort foods later and see how your body responds.

there's more good stuff on that site: http://whole9life.com/resources/

Posted over 3 years ago

poolsweeper

395 posts
Joined 12/2008

@ nowhereman

Thanks for you input on this thread and for the reference back to the Shuffle and Flow thread. There is some seriously heavy stuff on there for the non-scientists among us!

Posted over 3 years ago

Acombfosho

3147 posts
Joined 06/2008

My version of this diet is going to be as follows for the follwing couple weeks. fried bacon and eggs with tomatoes, musrooms and onion every morning, salad concept at lunch and then eat some meat and veg at night, if hungry eat more bacon. Can't go wrong?

Posted over 3 years ago

HomePoker ForumsGeneral Poker Discussion → The Primal Blueprint