General Poker Discussion Poker Forums

DC Kiva Challenge!

or track by Email or RSS

TecmoSuperBowl

Tribe Leader
5688 posts
Joined 01/2009

DC Kiva Challenge!

The DC Community is coming together to give back what we can from our poker successes.

The Challenge: Poker players do more than just “play poker.” Some of us are lucky enough to be successful at something we love to do. As poker players, we have to understand the value of money and completely disregard it. And, knowing this, we want to give something back from our successes. So, we’re coming together through Kiva, a microfinance non-profit organization, to give back in a way that matters.

We challenge ALL DC members to join together and loan what you can. The Challenge is to loan out at least one buy-in at their normal stakes each month starting right now. I have created our own Kiva Team, consisting of fellow DC community members, for everyone to join so we can track all of the loans this amazing community makes.

As an added bonus, for each $25 loan made in March (minimum loan on Kiva is $25), you will receive one raffle ticket. If you make multiple loans, you’ll receive multiple raffle tickets! At the end of the month there will be a drawing, with the winner receiving a FREE coaching lesson from a participating DC coach of YOUR choice!

How Kiva Works

To find out more details, including how to join and the list of participating coaches this month, please check out this website:

Buy-in to Giving

Once you’ve joined and made your first loan, be sure to come back to this thread and post your donation brag so I can track your raffle tickets! (or email me privately at tecmo@deucescracked.com with the # of loans you’ve made if you prefer to remain anonymous)

At the end of the month, I'll ask everyone to email me with the total amount they loaned in order to assign the appropriate number of raffle tickets.

Grindcore put it best when he said this:

The great thing about Kiva is that you don't actually donate the money. It's like a bank account with negative shitty interest instead of positive shitty interest. Most players are over rolled. To comfortably multi table you really don't need more than 20 BIs at the site you play on. If you have the rest of your money sitting in a bank account, you might as well loan it out. I'm saving up for a house for example and don't really have an immediate need for the money I make now, until I get to the point where I can buy the house. So meanwhile I can put it towards this charity.

Now let’s get out there and show our quality as a community and make this a great success!

HeartHeartHeart

(If you’re a coach who wants to participate for future months, please email me!)

***MAKE SURE YOU JOIN OUR TEAM BEFORE LOANING AND APPLY YOUR LOANS TOWARD OUR TEAM!***

Posted over 3 years ago

Luke00016

1172 posts
Joined 11/2009

Epic, Epic idea! Let's see just what the DC Community is made of Smile.

My first six loans:

Women in Mexico expanding a cosmetics business.

Guy in Kenya who wants to expand a small theater. Seriously, a mic, tv, and dvd player to offer a theater in a small town in Kenya? Amazing.

Journalist in Rwanda needs a laptop because Rwanda can use all the good, active journalists it can get!

Dude in El Salvador expanding a video game store because I'm a big gamer!

Carpentry business in Lebanon. Who among us doesn't have a great poker chair? Everyone else should, too Smile

A blacksmith in Paraguay! That just sounds awesome, how can I not get behind it.

Anyway, there's my Kiva lending brag for the month. I think this can become something incredible if we all pitch in, so who's next?

Posted over 3 years ago

2mb

1 posts
Joined 07/2008

A must-see for this topic is the inspiring TED Talk by Jessica Jackley, co-founder of Kiva:

Jessica Jackley: Poverty, money -- and love

Posted over 3 years ago

TecmoSuperBowl

Tribe Leader
5688 posts
Joined 01/2009

Thanks for sharing 2mb! Epic first post after being a member for 2.5 years! Smile

Posted over 3 years ago

Grindcore

2383 posts
Joined 11/2008

Thanks for sharing 2mb! Epic first post after being a member for 2.5 years! Smile

I was gonna post exactly this, but refreshed to see if there had been new posts since I started watching the video and my post and saw you already did!

Posted over 3 years ago

NixonTheGrouch

Section 9
1155 posts
Joined 11/2008

Thanks for setting this up, Techno. I'm been intending to use Kiva for a while and kept putting it off. No more excuses!

Posted over 3 years ago

TecmoSuperBowl

Tribe Leader
5688 posts
Joined 01/2009

FYI, a question was posed that if you get a wife/girlfriend/friend to join and they donate, do you then get raffle tickets for them? The answer is YES! Assuming they don't want the tickets, they will be added to YOUR total! So spread the word and get more people involved!

Posted over 3 years ago

onehundred47

404 posts
Joined 10/2009

Luke00016

1172 posts
Joined 11/2009

Ryzant

26 posts
Joined 12/2010

Is PayPal the only online money processor we can use to fund the Kiva account?

Posted over 3 years ago

TecmoSuperBowl

Tribe Leader
5688 posts
Joined 01/2009

Is PayPal the only online money processor we can use to fund the Kiva account?

Afaik, you can use paypal or credit card. However, if these options don't work for you, you can transfer me $ on FT or PS and I can purchase a Kiva Gift Card for you. Email or PM me if you want to use this option.

Posted over 3 years ago

Ryzant

26 posts
Joined 12/2010

Afaik, you can use paypal or credit card. However, if these options don't work for you, you can transfer me $ on FT or PS and I can purchase a Kiva Gift Card for you. Email or PM me if you want to use this option.

PM sent

Posted over 3 years ago

Tackleberry

3561 posts
Joined 10/2009

Thanks Tecmo for setting this up! Glad to be part of this community, hope this idea will getting to rock!!

My first seven loans (not intending to top the six - was just in a click-rush Smile):

Sayorai Mahmadamini - 21 year old, doing animal husbandry and cattle breed, wants to buy a calf

Caroline Ronoh - 34 years old, active in farming and dairy, wants to buy a cow

Saber - mini-market owner wants to increase his business

Portia Mensah - trader, selling drinks, powder, hand bags and kitchen utilities, wanting to buy more items for reselling, to re-invest in her business

Khushrumo Saparova - 41 years old, doing animal husbandry, wanting to buy another milk cow

Retemta Wamalwa - practicing mixed farming, wants to support her business to cater family

Janeth - doing business in sewing, wants to buy a new sewing machine

Plus an additional (secret) donation to Kiva. Wink

Posted over 3 years ago

TecmoSuperBowl

Tribe Leader
5688 posts
Joined 01/2009

Great stuff Tackleberry! What is your name on our Kiva team?

Posted over 3 years ago

Luke00016

1172 posts
Joined 11/2009

My first seven loans (not intending to top the six - was just in a click-rush Smile):

Go Tackleberry!

I would be so happy if every person topped me in this challenge!

Posted over 3 years ago

HomePoker ForumsGeneral Poker Discussion → DC Kiva Challenge!