Qualities of a good, winningPoker player:
I believe and I'm sure there's a lot of evidence and research that can back it up, that they're many traits a Poker player must naturally possess to be a successful wining player. Alan Schoomaker have stated many in is psychology of Poker books. I feel all the experience and Poker study in the world may still leave you with shortcomings... At best you may only become break even or small winner in the long run.
Here's my list:
1. Must be educated and/or naturally gifted
- you must have a thinking brain. A brain that can analyze, put pieces of info together like a puzzle, good with numbers. Also enjoys to read, study, learn... A love for knowledge!
2. No chemical imbalances... Such as depression, ADHD, ADD, any mental disorder or addictions... Even if you're getting treatments, there's never a cure and its something you'll live with forever
3. Strong confidence, ego, self esteem, secure with self, strong relationships with family, friends, lovers, positive attitude, optimistic, love for life, active living, enjoy hobbies, physically and mentally fit.
4. Decisive... Make decisions with confidence and feel good about it... Any second guessing will hurt you more than help over long hall
5. Competitive... Loves to compete and must win... Gets high off the lure of the game, eye of the tiger, passion for game
6. Disciplined, control, knows when to stay/go, yes/no, patience, will power, inner strength, motivation, determination, intestinal fortitude, time management.
7. Life in order... satisfied knowing where you are, where you're going, little regret.
8. Total disregard of money or anything that has value
This is just what I think...
You pretty much have to naturally be super human. Most of us are not, that's why I believe only 1% of all Poker players are long term winners. Most possess most of these qualities... Obviously the stronger you are in some still make up for the ones you're lacking in.
I feel if you are lacking in most of these areas, you will continue to bleed $$.
Are there solutions to most of these? I'm sure there's many. Feel free to suggest. Add other weakness to.
So, what do we all do if we don't have these qualities? Give up on the game? Give up on life? No and no, but we must be aware of the truth, of who we are. Some things just can't be changed, but there is Hope. You just have to dig deep inside, find it, grasp it, never let it go!
We can only preform at our full potential and Hope for the best... Till then, we'll continue to give!
A Losing Player