General Poker Discussion Poker Forums

why am i still losing money?

or track by Email or RSS

johnontilt87

153 posts
Joined 03/2012

I guess I would still be considered a beginner. I have played Hold em for a few years now on and off. I was never really serious about it until now. for now I am playing NL online at the .02/.05 stakes and occasionally playing SNGs and MTTs. I am cashing in most of the tourneys but just barely making my money back. In the cash games I will win a decent amount but eventually lose it at some point. I have been studying and reading articles online. Ive read that most newbies play too many hands and bluff too much. they also ignore position in the game. I have taken my position into account on every hand and I have stopped bluffing almost completely in these low stakes games because it is pointless. I have limited my starting hand selection based on position at the table. What am I doing wrong? I bought a bankroll analyzer app and I have a small sampling of my cash flow on there. basically my gross winnings are $50+ but my losses are $33+. i guess its good that im not down but I feel i could be winning more or losing less or both. if anyone has any type of advice at all I would love to hear it.

Posted over 2 years ago

Acombfosho

3147 posts
Joined 06/2008

So you play 2c/5c and you are +$17 but 'still losing money'? How many hands have you played?

I ask because it seems you are a new player and perhaps you don't really understand that variance in poker is fairly important.

In hand samples of 100,000 it is not uncommon to see a winning player run under or above expectation. It is just how the game works.

Don't be disheartened, just be more realistic. You are doing well, you have won 4 buy ins. I don't know if that is over 10 hands or 10 million hands. Either way, you are beating the rake, which frankly, is difficult.

Posted over 2 years ago

johnontilt87

153 posts
Joined 03/2012

I guess for now Im winning moeny because technically im in the positive. But i feel like theres way too many ups and downs in my bankroll. Im just looking for any advice you people can give. My hand sampling is around 3,000 since i started keeping track. For a beginner how much should i be winning at this point? Or should i just be happy im winning anything right now?

Posted over 2 years ago

goose669

527 posts
Joined 08/2008

i wouldnt worry about winning full stop, id worry about how much you were improving as thats all that matters....the more you improve the more your win, pro rata

concentrate on the value of improving your game thats where the true gold is to be found.

Posted over 2 years ago

BaseMetal

2160 posts
Joined 01/2010

Post some of your hand histories in the appropriate forums and also reply to other player posts. This is a good way of checking your play as the posted hands are usually tricky situations in some way.

and like goose669 says learning is the most important thing at the micros, if you do get a bit better you will start gaining faster. Quite a few beginners try to build up by playing on more tables but it is often better to try to aquire more edge on fewer tables and move up that way.

Posted over 2 years ago

johnontilt87

153 posts
Joined 03/2012

I usually only play one table. Two max. I guess i just need to read more and play more? I just dont know if im doing well for my experience level or not. I dont know how to measurethat.

Posted over 2 years ago

n0whereman

3107 posts
Joined 01/2008

You've played 3000 hands? Go play 30000 more then come back. For now, just worry about learning. Don't worry about comparing things to your experience level or whatever - make the best decisions you can and use DC/other resources to improve. A really good way to measure your progress would be to post your thoughts on hands in the micro stakes forums. If people are tending to agree with your reasoning, that's good. If not, you've found places to improve.

Posted over 2 years ago

Grindcore

2383 posts
Joined 11/2008

Make use of the free trial here and start watching video's. They'll probably be eye-opening.

Posted over 2 years ago

Drakken

612 posts
Joined 09/2008

I usually only play one table. Two max. I guess i just need to read more and play more? I just dont know if im doing well for my experience level or not. I dont know how to measurethat.

No problem with that. but keep in mind that your volume will be lower. It sacrifices volume for concentration and the ability to take decisions.

Posted over 2 years ago

rocketragz

4045 posts
Joined 11/2008

Start with participating in minimum 5 hand histories a day in the forums. Once you get to 50 nl look to get some coaching from a small stakes coach. Too bad tubasteve isn't around anymore. Guy helped me a ton back in the day.

Posted over 2 years ago

Drakken

612 posts
Joined 09/2008

Start with participating in minimum 5 hand histories a day in the forums. Once you get to 50 nl look to get some coaching from a small stakes coach. Too bad tubasteve isn't around anymore. Guy helped me a ton back in the day.

Damn, I liked tubasteve. Frown

Posted over 2 years ago

johnontilt87

153 posts
Joined 03/2012

thanks for the help folks. my poker career is oficially over. Im gonna go blow my tiny stack online and forget about it. thanks again for taking the time to try and help, but this game at these stakes is unbeatable.

Posted over 2 years ago

UU!I.I.4AAUU35

1771 posts
Joined 07/2010

n0whereman

3107 posts
Joined 01/2008

thanks for the help folks. my poker career is oficially over. Im gonna go blow my tiny stack online and forget about it. thanks again for taking the time to try and help, but this game at these stakes is unbeatable.

You may just be trolling, but I have to ask - what in this thread or elsewhere made you come to the conclusion that the game at whatever stakes you're playing is unbeatable? You've played like 3000 hands, which tells you approximately nothing about your play/potential winrate.

Posted over 2 years ago

MayContainNuts

318 posts
Joined 03/2010

Where's 3bet when you need him?

Seriously though, this thread is the equivalent of saying: "I'm training for a marathon.

"Based on the first 100m training run, why am I not already fit enough to do it? What time do you think I'll finish it in?"

Posted over 2 years ago

HomePoker ForumsGeneral Poker Discussion → why am i still losing money?