General Poker Discussion Poker Forums

Myers-Briggs Personality types and poker

or track by Email or RSS

tubasteve

7647 posts
Joined 11/2007

First of all, if you don't know what I'm talking about, take this test.

http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

It is a personality test that is quite well known to psychologists; many of you have surely taken it before and perhaps don't even remember. Anyway, I found out that I was of the INTP variety, and the description was like DEAD ON THE MONEY. So I thought you guys could take the test and share your experiences with it, and if it has helped you figure out anything about yourself.

Oh, INTP stands for "introverted, intuitive, thinking, perceiving". There are 4 dichotomies used in the test (the other choices are extroverted, sensing, feeling, judgement). Here is a prime example of the test's accuracy, at least in my case:

INTPs value knowledge above all else. Their minds are constantly working to generate new theories, or to prove or disprove existing theories. They approach problems and theories with enthusiasm and skepticism, ignoring existing rules and opinions and defining their own approach to the resolution. They seek patterns and logical explanations for anything that interests them. They're usually extremely bright, and able to be objectively critical in their analysis. They love new ideas, and become very excited over abstractions and theories. They love to discuss these concepts with others. They may seem "dreamy" and distant to others, because they spend a lot of time inside their minds musing over theories. They hate to work on routine things - they would much prefer to build complex theoretical solutions, and leave the implementation of the system to others. They are intensely interested in theory, and will put forth tremendous amounts of time and energy into finding a solution to a problem with has piqued their interest.

Now I'm not the greatest poker mind in the world or anything, but I'd like to think these characteristics at least helped me get where I am today.

Posted over 8 years ago

pkrlvr

Ship it imo
341 posts
Joined 09/2008

Fairly accurate imo, says I'm of the INTJ variety(rational mastermind). I disagree with the label it gave me but the characteristics were pretty spot on. Not sure if any of it is particularly useful for poker but doesn't seem bad.

Posted over 8 years ago

mogwai316

712 posts
Joined 07/2008

INTPs rock!

In case anyone doesn't know, the official Myers-Briggs test would have to be given to you by an actual psychologist. It is much more thorough and comprehensive than the online tests. The online tests can point you in the right direction, but you should really read the descriptions and characteristics of the types close to your results and figure out which one best fits you. For example, the online tests often give me INTJ, but the J/P is somewhat borderline, and after spending some time reading about the different types I'm positive that INTP describes me more accurately.

There's an old thread on 2+2 where people posted their types and I think like 75% of the people who posted there were INTJ or INTP, whereas in the actual population those would make up less than 5%. So the INT traits definitely are found in poker players (or people attracted to online forums, in general, probably). Of course the J's will go on to have great success with their goal-orientedness and ability to actually complete things, while us P's will keep drifting back and forth, unable to keep our interest in anything long enough to achieve greatness.

Steve, if you have time read through this INTP profile. It's really long, but it's an amazing description... I was stunned at how much of it applied to me.
http://www.intp.org/intprofile.html

Posted over 8 years ago

ybother

239 posts
Joined 01/2008

While some doubt the validity of various parts of these types of descriptors, I believe MBTI to be a good tool to help you gain greater awareness of your style as well as the styles around you. Taking something like this helps you develop a succinct self awareness on how you process information, how you perceive the world, and how you relate to others. Chances are there is something in there for everyone to reflect on to grow as a both a poker player and a person.

The most helpful portions I find are the areas of these type descriptors that discuss how you may be viewed by others (poker and and life image, if you will). Without judgment, your understanding of your image (in life and poker) can help you learn to communicate more clearly and understand others on a different level. For these reasons I feel that instruments like this are very helpful. To get the most out of this, take this with someone that you know well and will commit to being honest, then listen to their thoughts on the profile. This exercise can be related for poker development (i.e. what kind of coach or poker buddy/supporter you need) or life in general.

P.S. Tubasteve is so very "dreamy" imo

sincerely,

An INTJ

Posted over 8 years ago

Nolan

243 posts
Joined 05/2008

xerocat

674 posts
Joined 03/2008

rocketragz

4114 posts
Joined 11/2008

INTJ. The descriptions seem seem pretty dead on.

"To outsiders, INTJs may appear to project an aura of "definiteness", of self-confidence. This self-confidence, sometimes mistaken for simple arrogance by the less decisive, is actually of a very specific rather than a general nature; its source lies in the specialized knowledge systems that most INTJs start building at an early age."....

"INTJs are perfectionists, with a seemingly endless capacity for improving upon anything that takes their interest." ..

"INTJs really want people to make sense."...

...."the Intuitive function can often act as a good substitute by synthesizing the probable meanings behind such things as tone of voice, turn of phrase, and facial expression."

"INTJs are ever perceiving inner pattern-forms"

"INTJs enjoy developing unique solutions to complex problems."

Pretty cool...

Posted over 8 years ago

ispiked

51 posts
Joined 08/2008

Although all being introverted (I), thinking (T), and judging (J) all contribute to being a good poker player, I think that the intuition (N) / sensing (S) dichotomy is the most important.

Poker is all about abstract reasoning, and this is what intuitive thinkers do best. While sensing people will try to focus on small details and individual situations, intuitive people will be able to see "the big picture" and create the set of general rules that one needs to succeed at poker.

Posted over 8 years ago

junglefever

156 posts
Joined 09/2008

I've taken a few versions of this test, and every time I have scored INTP (though I come close to being INTJ, and in fact I have particular telltale characteristics of INTJ)

I'm too lazy to write some long response, but I agree with most of everything of what's said here. Imo, intuition in particular (as described by the MBPT or w/e), is particularly important at succeeding in higher stakes as well as the source of the drive one might have to play said stakes. It's likely pretty possible to beat the lower stakes with any sort of intelligence though...

Posted over 8 years ago

vandweller

474 posts
Joined 12/2008

Malefiicus

1029 posts
Joined 03/2008

this better be g

164 posts
Joined 07/2008

Acombfosho

3147 posts
Joined 06/2008

ENTP

You are:

* moderately expressed extravert
* moderately expressed intuitive personality
* distinctively expressed thinking personality
* slightly expressed perceiving personality

Posted over 8 years ago

tubasteve

7647 posts
Joined 11/2007

Jebus. I wonder which way the causation works.

Posted over 8 years ago

Squishee

1356 posts
Joined 01/2008

ISTP but its not in my first language some some Q maybe bordelines^^

Posted over 8 years ago

HomePoker ForumsGeneral Poker Discussion → Myers-Briggs Personality types and poker