Poker Video: No Limit Hold'Em by tubasteve (Micro/Small Stakes)

The Coaching Tree: Episode One

This video is a two minute preview. To view the entire video, please Log In or Sign Up Now
Get the Flash Player to see this player.

The Coaching Tree: Episode One by tubasteve, BalugaWhale

Welcome to the coaching tree where students become coaches and coaches become students. In the series premere Tubasteve coaches his student and gets coached himself by his former mentor, BalugaWhale

About The Coaching Tree Subscribe to

BalugaWhale and tubasteve climb the Coaching Tree. Many may not know that BalugaWhale is tubasteve's old poker coach. Watch them reunite as Steve coaches our members and Andrew coaches Steve on the coaching. 6max NL.

Tags

tubasteve balugawhale 6max nlhe micro-stakes 4-tabling the coaching tree

Video Details

• Game: nlhe
  • Stakes: Micro/Small Stakes
  • 77 minutes long
  • Posted over 5 years ago

Downloads

Premium Subscribers can download high-quality, DRM-free videos in multiple formats.

Comments for The Coaching Tree: Episode One

or track by Email or RSS

July7th

5 posts
Joined 08/2008

Great series. I really like the "student/teacher reviewing recorded sessions" format. And yes, Baluga is awesome at explaining things in clear terms. Tuba, I got luv for u too, don't worry! lol. Anyway, first of all, yeah, you guys seemed to be looking at the wrong stat windows for several of the players, not that I think it made much difference, but it was a little confusing. Finally, I have a big question. Where's the luv for 2nl, 5nl, and 10nl?? I haven't seen any videos for anything less than 25nl. Why is this? I'm just starting out, and I'm much more comfortable risking 2, 5, or 10 dollars instead of 25, 50 or more. Ok, that's all. Thanks for all that you DC guys do! =)

Posted over 5 years ago

rjpageuk

232 posts
Joined 02/2008

Just watched this and had to add a 5 star rating and a comment to BalugaWhale who was amazing.

Only got through about 5 hands in the hour but the depth of the conversation was amazing.

I think you should give BalugaWhale a series where you just prompt him with some random poker question and see how long and how in depth he can go before running out of things to say Grin

Posted over 5 years ago

tubasteve

7647 posts
Joined 11/2007

I think you should give BalugaWhale a series where you just prompt him with some random poker question and see how long and how in depth he can go before running out of things to say Grin

thats like...exactly what we're doing though Wink

Posted over 5 years ago

July7th

5 posts
Joined 08/2008

Maybe no one saw my earlier question, but I am wondering where's the luv for 2nl, 5nl, and 10nl?? I don't see any videos for anything lower than 25nl. Why is that??

Posted over 5 years ago

Entity

8633 posts
Joined 11/2006

Maybe no one saw my earlier question, but I am wondering where's the luv for 2nl, 5nl, and 10nl?? I don't see any videos for anything lower than 25nl. Why is that??

The concepts are going to be very very similar to $2nl, $5nl, $10nl. I'd recommend looking at From the Ground Up and Baby Steps to find some great materials/advice for those limits even though the levels tubasteve and n0whereman play are higher than the limits you're specifically looking at. In order to become the best player possible you're going to want to learn about the how and why and not specifically the what -- so while you may be looking for a $2nl vid, you really should be looking for videos that cover basic concepts like hand selection, pot control, and basic handreading against loose passive opponents. In order to give you the best advice possible, we try to match up our instructors to levels that are as close to what they are familiar with ("teach what you know"), so without any instructors really playing a ton at those levels, it would be disingenuous for us to try to coach specifically to those games. That said, I still really think you can get the most out of watching $25nl-$50nl vids and applying those concepts to the games you're playing in. Smile

hope this helps,
Rob

Posted over 5 years ago

July7th

5 posts
Joined 08/2008

I have questions about a few of the hands that were not commented on in the video. They are as follows:

38:00 88 in the BB. Should we have lead out on the flop instead of check/folding and why?

47:45 K7s in the CO. Could we ever raise an unopened pot like that instead of folding and why?

50:40 KQs in the BB. Should we have checked the flop instead of c-betting and why?

55:25 T3s in the BB. Should we have bet at any point in that hand instead of checking it down and why?

1:09:55 K8s in the BB. Could we ever 3bet or call in that situation instead of folding and why?

1:14:50 65s in the BB. Could we ever 3bet or call in that situation instead of folding and why?

That's all. Thanks again.

Posted over 5 years ago

wingchunflush

7 posts
Joined 03/2008

WOW simply amazing, best vid i have ever seen on this site and its at my stakes....NH

Posted over 5 years ago

RedBarracuda

20 posts
Joined 10/2008

great video.., baluga expresses himself very well and explains things easy and clearly.. tx for the great vid
p.s. steve, you're ok as well Wink

Posted over 5 years ago

Turlock

180 posts
Joined 10/2008

I just want to clarify what was said about not raising A8o from the cutoff with 2 loose passive players in the blinds. When you have players in the blinds playing over 40% of there hands do you not want to steal with any ace rag from position,but any pocket pair and suited connector/gapper is fine? I still find it strange you would lay A8o down when you're so far ahead of the donks range and could get value from his middle pair.
Can someone just go over this once more so my tiny brain can fully understand it.
Thanks. Grin

Posted over 5 years ago

$tudlani

402 posts
Joined 12/2008

Excellent video you two definitely have some chemistry going that adds to the video. Thanks for a great video.

Posted over 5 years ago

bohus04

88 posts
Joined 05/2008

Awesome video, and also very funny intro Grin

Posted over 5 years ago

Acombfosho

3147 posts
Joined 06/2008

pretty funny dynamic between the two of you

--

Tuba: "Yeah, I think with the K T 8 rainbo.."

Baluga: "Stop, I'm talking"

Tuba: Stunned silence

Baluga: "So.. yeah, as I was saying, I think with the K T 8 rainbow.."

lol Poke Tongue

Posted over 5 years ago

Cadaz

33 posts
Joined 06/2008

Bit behind on watching this but worth the wait. This is one of the sickest vids I've seen. Great stuff and a ton of info in a short space of time.

Posted about 5 years ago

Pinos

27 posts
Joined 01/2008

i rly hate tubasteve and balugawhale, i wasn't going to renew my yearly subscription to DC, and use that money for a coach and renew in a month or two... now, im just going to have to use my beer money to pay for the coach, and i really, REALLY like beer.

great job guys Smile

Posted about 5 years ago

Mr Messi

12 posts
Joined 05/2008

Best vid i've seen on DC about SSNL. I feel like i learnt more from this vid than any other poker material i have seen, read or heard. Thank you.

Great job guys.

Posted about 5 years ago

HomePoker ForumsSmall Stakes Shorthanded NL → The Coaching Tree : Episode One