Poker Video: No Limit Hold'Em by WiltOnTilt (Micro/Small Stakes)

Real Life Micro NL-Grinder: Unlimited Texas Hold Them: Episode Eight

This video is a two minute preview. To view the entire video, please Log In or Sign Up Now
Get the Flash Player to see this player.

Real Life Micro NL-Grinder: Unlimited Texas Hold Them: Episode Eight by WiltOnTilt

WiltOnTilt and no limit grinder WhiteHeatSYD finish off the series with a session review, and a progress report from Wilt.

About Real Life Micro NL-Grinder: Unlimited Texas Hold Them Subscribe to

How do you mold a beginner into an expert? WiltOnTilt and DeucesCracked member WhiteHeatSYD delve into the heart of that question in Real Life: MicroNL Grinder. Bankroll management theory, starting hand selection and general strategy development coupled with live sweat and hand history review. And keep your eyes peeled for special guest coaches!

Tags

wiltontilt whiteheatsyd real life micro no limit grinder no limit hold'em coaching ipod friendly session review 100nl 100 nl

Video Details

• Game: nlhe
  • Stakes: Micro/Small Stakes
  • 62 minutes long
  • Posted over 6 years ago

Downloads

Premium Subscribers can download high-quality, DRM-free videos in multiple formats.

Comments for Real Life Micro NL-Grinder: Unlimited Texas Hold Them: Episode Eight

or track by Email or RSS

WiltOnTilt

2658 posts
Joined 10/2007

Hey guys, sorry it took me a couple days to get to your questions. I've been traveling a bit. Thanks to all for the nice comments. Now... on to the answers Smile

Oh noes!!! My last chance to torment WoT and Alex with nonsensical questions...

1) Just one question re Alex's A10o hand UTG (around 17.40 min): When the Q high flush hits on the turn, haven't you seen people check small flush hands (say something like 79s) in order to be 1) deceptive and 2) maybe try to gauge whether you have a higher flush hand yourself since you were the PF-raiser? If you check there, they typically will heavily bet the river, assuming that your turn check signalled weakness and that you don't have the flush..but if you had bet the turn, they still will call your bet, figuring something like they don't want to bet but it's strong enough to call. (Of course, this scenario is more likely if the caller was in a CO or button spot.)

i dont regularly see people checkraise the flop with a flush draw and then check the turn when they hit. it's not that they CAN'T do that, it's just that in the grand scheme of things it doesn't happen that often.

one thing my students tend to ask me a lot during a session when running a bluff or making a thin value bet is "well wait, Aaron, aren't you scared of XY?" and the answer is "well sure, sometimes, but we're playing against his hand range not a singular hand." So although a person might be capable of doing that, it's certainly not the default play or even frequent enough to consider changing how we should play our hand.

Has anyone else seen SSNL players playing low flushes this way or am I just imagining things?

it also could be that you're thinking of when they just c/c the flop and hit the flush on the turn and check there... as opposed to checkraising the flop then checking again...

Thanks again to both of you for all of the gems of poker-playing wisdom in this series and your invaluable feedback...they are much appreciated.

thanks man, appreciate it a lot.

Posted about 6 years ago

WiltOnTilt

2658 posts
Joined 10/2007

interesting. The last hand with the sevens i feel I also have problems with.

I'm also curious on the 99 hand when the flop comes 585 if you hade like AK, and know he's aggressive. I noticed you mentioned it can be ok to raise there with air. I mean you have 6 outs. He will probably allways continuation bet and if he does, he would have to fold a big part of his range as you mentioned when we raise.
So my question is what spots you are looking for, for such a move besides these paired flops.

this really depends on his 3betting %. the larger it is, the more flops you can get away with doing this on because of the sheer frequency of him having air. but to answer your question, low paired boards are good but i also like dry 1 high card boards like Qxx or Kxx or Axx (again, helps to have reads to determine what types of hands they are 3betting: example, does he 3bet AT? KQ? QJ? etc, if you can take those hands out of his range you can really go bananas on those 1 high card boards).

this is one reason why it can be tough to play against someone when they know you have a polarized 3betting range (like AQ+ JJ+ and air but having a high air%) because you can get jammed on in a lot of those types of board textures where they can't stand the heat unless they want to bet/call an underpair. I actually talk about this a little in my first Duel vid that comes up on friday.

And also if you use it rarely, as I supose you do.. do you rather do it in bigger 3 bet pots, or is it better in regular pots when the chance of the villain holding big pockets is smaller.

like always it depends on the villain... the higher the 3bet % and the more straight forward they play on the flop, the more i like doing it in 3bet pots... but if you are good at reading board texture and have a good idea of the person's preflop ranges, making flop raises in unraised pots is the nuts because you have deeper stack : pot ratio and more streets to continue trying to move people off something... as well as the benefit of sometimes getting them to fold a hand that they love on the flop that they now hate on the river because of how the board texture has changed. so if i have to choose i probably like bluffing in just a normal raised pot better than 3bet pot because you can give them more decision points and put more pressure on through multiple bets (as well as cool bet sizing)

Posted about 6 years ago

WiltOnTilt

2658 posts
Joined 10/2007

Hey guys, great series.

I have a question for Wilt. at the 40:15 mark in the video, you mention that you would like to have Alex be 4betting with the 99 given the situation, and the read he had on the villian.

my question is simple, but will help me a bit on a current struggle I am having playing this limit.

what amount would you recommend he 4bet to? He opened for 3.50, the villian 3bet to $12, so what amount do we 4bet to in this situation? It's obviously a committing amount, so I am wondering what it would be.

also, lets say we had 92o but we had a read that this player was 3betting light, and were pretty sure a 4bet bluff would take down the pot a large percentage of the time.

What is the best amount that you could 4bet bluff to, and still easily be able to throw your hand away if they 5bet shove ? An amount that doesn't committ you, but still can get the job done to let them know your bet is serious.

the answer is basically as small as you can get away with. 4bet bluffing, in general, is not a strategy i use very often in my normal games because i think the profitability of such plays is suspect (ie, you end up either committing yourself with a hand and folding incorrectly or risking too much to blow him off air or risking a lot to only get rebluffed with a 5bet all in shove etc. I think the last point there is much less prevalent in these games so perhaps 4betting as a bluff at these stakes works better, however fewer people are 3betting light as compared to the mid and higher stakes.

So now that all of the theory is out of the way (lol) let me actually answer your question. I'd probably be 4betting to something like 27 or 28 here. It's enough that when he shoves you'll be getting less than 2:1 on a call (so it's easier to fold) and it's enough that most people will instinctively put themselves in a push/fold situation. Now that's not always the case, you will find people flat calling you out of position and likely not making a huge mistake given pot odds. Just be sure to generally make the same 4bets with your air as well as your strong hands and you should be fine... although the more you can get away from 4bet bluffing and still have people make mistakes against you in 4bet pots, the better your bottom line will be.

I've heard of some articles that others have written (non-dc stuff) with math showing that 4bet bluffing isn't profitable, however i haven't read these articles myself or examined this situation as in depthly as I probably should... but from my overall gameplan perspective I try to call more and play postflop in these types of spots when I feel like I'm getting played back at OR take hands with showdown value to 4bet and call it off with (like medium pocket pairs) as opposed to 4betting and folding complete trash. Hopefully the people I play against wont read that though (lol...hopefully they arent watching my small stakes vids).

Just as an aside, the funny thing about the content in this series as well as my responses in this post are really not only geared towards helping you guys think better about beating small stakes, but it's really preparing you for when you get into mid stakes. One thing I'm really trying to accomplish in this series is relating everything back to the higher games to not only teach you guys how to think about things now but how your mindset will need to change as you move up. Hopefully I'm accomplishing that.

Thanks for the response and again, awesome job on this series. I have a recommendation for your next series: this same sort of concept, but maybe moving up the chain. How about a student that is playing 1/2 (6max still of course) and trying to move their game up to the next level (2/4 and 3/6)? I think this would be extraordinary and I'm sure there are a lot that agree.

thanks guys,

Roy

really appreciate the kind words. If possible I'm going to continue this series with alex and see if we can get him moved up (eventually) to the mid stakes. I can't guarantee anything yet though.

thanks for watching.

Posted about 6 years ago

WiltOnTilt

2658 posts
Joined 10/2007

Wilt in the first hand you talk about it being a good bluffing situation on the flop. You state that he will only continue with a very limited hand range. If you bluff with any two are you only 2 barreling scare cards like a third diamond? Are we shutting down on a brick figuring he has enough of the board to no longer continuing the bluff?

Definitely against some players we would be continuing on a scare card turn (such as a diamond). It really depends on if you think you can get him off top pair and what you think he'd do with a flush on the turn. If you think you can get the guy off an overpair or top pair by the river when the flush hits the turn ANDDDD you think he would nearly always checkraise the turn or c/c then lead the river with a flush, then you basically have a free ticket to take him off the pot.

if the turn blanks though you gotta bail out of the bluff. you can also check behind the turn and hope for a diamond river, but the bluff there is going to have a bit less clout because the overall pot is going to be smaller and people dont like to fold. the best case scenario is a turn diamond so you have 2 streets of stack pressure.

you must keep in mind though, the higher you go, the less and less this board becomes good to bluff because people realize what's up (or more people do anyway). People will start putting you on nuts or nothing here and call down with pocket 5's etc. Then you start geting into leveling wars where you raise the flop with hands like QT and expect to get action from rebluffs or light calldowns etc. Making moves like this hugely depends on what level you think your opponent is on and how good he is at poker and thinking about hand ranges. So many spots like these are really good at like the .5/1 or 1/2 levels because people are just good enough to actually learn how to fold (sometimes) but not so good that they can see through the transparency (especially true if you're prone to slowplaying sets on these boards).

Posted about 6 years ago

WiltOnTilt

2658 posts
Joined 10/2007

What a nice treat this is. I couldn't sleep, so I decided to get on here and find another video to watch only to be treated this . Just wanna say these are by far the best videos Ive ever watched.

awesome series guys. So many good concepts were discussed. Aaron, don't worry about the side-tracks, they were great. Spending all the extra time talking about the concept rather than just the specific hand attached to it was extremely helpful. It's really easy to get absorbed in the commentary at those points.

Really great series guys. Probably my favorite series of this season. Excellent work.

Well done guys great season no doubth ill look at it all again. I applied for this to, white you lucky boy hope you made the most of it!

This series was extremely helpful to me. I appreciate WoT's emphasis on hand reading alot.

Guys, you have no idea how good it feels to read comments such as these. We work hard and often stretch our schedules a lot (esp because alex is in australia and i'm in the states) to make these vids happen... it means the world to us that you guys are watching, learning, and giving us good feedback and asking good questions to help us fill in the gaps of explanation that we miss while recording. Thanks again for being loyal DC'ers and giving us really nice comments in our videos. It's by far the best part for us!

Deucescracked puts cardrunners to shame.
Great video, great series.

Really loved this oneSmile

Posted about 6 years ago

tubasteve

7647 posts
Joined 11/2007

you guys are pretty much the shit. i plan to download and watch all of these again. (someday Undecided)

Posted about 6 years ago

WhiteHeatSYD

Real Life Grinder
847 posts
Joined 09/2007

you guys are pretty much the shit. i plan to download and watch all of these again. (someday Undecided)

Just to echo what Aaron said, the comments that you guys have given us over the last few days, has made us both very proud of producing the series. I know that I said this at the end of the series about how much Aaron has helped me. Aaron has been incredible support to me. The help he has given me off screen has been amazing (more than I ever expected). Not once has he got frustrated with my constant questions, quizing and sweat session that I have asked him for. When I was in my downswing, I would of quit the game as it was at a very low time but Aaron's confidence in me helped me get through. Aaron has become a very good friend, and for me this is only the start....

Posted about 6 years ago

gring000h

1582 posts
Joined 03/2008

sweet series, really enjoyed watching it!

Posted about 6 years ago

sweetysven

157 posts
Joined 03/2008

At 48:03 with the JJ hand, where a loose 3better squeezes.

With which hand you will 4bet here? 88-AA/AQ+? Are there any hand where just calling is better?

Thanks guys really enjoyed the serie! I have download them all, and will watch some more. It makes me more thinking when I am playing.

Posted about 6 years ago

Gregster6

22 posts
Joined 03/2008

Aaron has become a very good friend, and for me this is only the start....

Wow, you guys musta really hit it off! Wink

Posted about 6 years ago

WiltOnTilt

2658 posts
Joined 10/2007

lol... we're a half a world away and i'm married to my beautiful wife, don't get any wrong impressions Poke Tongue

Posted about 6 years ago

Eisflamme

2008 posts
Joined 08/2008

Really great series. I enjoyed it a lot and it opened my mind a little bit again. I hope, I will ever be good enough to read ranges that accurate.

Posted about 6 years ago

WiltOnTilt

2658 posts
Joined 10/2007

At 48:03 with the JJ hand, where a loose 3better squeezes.

With which hand you will 4bet here? 88-AA/AQ+? Are there any hand where just calling is better?

Thanks guys really enjoyed the serie! I have download them all, and will watch some more. It makes me more thinking when I am playing.

partially depends on his squeezing frequency and if there has been any recent squeeze dynamic that would lead me to believe he's either more or less likely to be squeezing _this_ time. Often what ends up happening is the second time someone squeezes they actually have it, and that's when people jam their AJ and chalk running into KK up to a cooler, so we have to use our brains as to recent history/dynamics.

but to give a general answer, i think the range you gave is a decent one to use to 4bet and get it in vs a guy you know is capable of squeezing light often (you know, the 27/22 guys who you know from previous sessions are squeezing light, but perhaps it's the first time they've done it this session -- much more likely to be air), and in those cases you can even widen your range more than the one you gave, maybe any pair and AT+ or so.

if I didn't think it would be obvious (like, we haven't had enough history with this player to think that balancing is a big concern) then I don't mind flatting QQ-AA especially if the guy in the middle is super loose/bad and willing to stack off light. Also if the squeezer tends to cbet too much in 3bet pots, it can be good to slowplay these types of hands preflop to gain the extra value from their light cbets... but if we're at the point where this situation happens enough that we need to consider balancing, then I'd rather go ahead and 4bet hands like AA and just flat call hands like KQ and AJ with the intention of jamming over a lot of flop cbets or betting like 1/3 to 1/2 pot when checked to on the flop (again, depending on cbet frequencies) (also i'm making an assumption here that flatting the squeeze would be more of a sign of strength than a sign of weakness... this really depends on who you're playing against etc. we don't want to "balance" by floating KQ here because we think our opponent is going to put us on 99, for example...we also dont want to get in the habit of floating hands with the intention of ONLY trying to flop something).

So there are kind of a lot of "what ifs" i'm outlining here, but hopefully it will give you a general idea of how to think about these types of situations. What you want to avoid is the common mistake of deciding you want to float a squeeze with a hand like KQ and then neglecting to take pots away postflop.

Posted about 6 years ago

WhiteHeatSYD

Real Life Grinder
847 posts
Joined 09/2007

Lol, not like that. Aaron is not my type!!!

Posted about 6 years ago

Harrythedog

6 posts
Joined 09/2009

I'm a brand new member of DC and this is my first post.

I'd just like to say how much I enjoyed watching this series and how much it taught me. Like all good education it made learning fun.

Because I watched the vids in quite short order I found that when I started playing the learning points were really well embedded and came quite naturally to me.

So...well done, guys. Fine work and thanks for the efforts. Off to Part Deux next.

BTW, like Alex I'm an English refugee overseas...except that I chose South African beaches instead of Bondai.

Posted about 5 years ago

HomePoker ForumsSmall Stakes Shorthanded NL → Real Life Micro NL-Grinder: Unlimited Texas Hold Them : Episode Eight