Small Stakes Shorthanded NL Poker Forums

NL50 - ATo-high vs aggro fish - hero call #2?

or track by Email or RSS

StackHunter

2881 posts
Joined 09/2010

$50.00 No Limit Hold'em - 6 players - View hand 1568272
DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

BTN: $51.50
SB: $80.93
BB: $46.25
UTG: $54.60
MP: $87.33
Hero (CO): $133.54

Pre Flop: ($0.75) Hero is CO with A Spade T Diamond
1 fold, MP raises to $1, Hero raises to $4, 3 folds, MP calls $3

Flop: ($8.75) 4 Diamond 6 Club J Spade (2 players)
MP bets $4.00, Hero calls $4

Turn: ($16.75) 7 Club (2 players)
MP bets $8.00, Hero calls $8

River: ($32.75) 8 Diamond (2 players)
MP bets $15.00, Hero ? ? ?

71/13/2.9/22/48/(341) | VPIP/PFR/AF/WTSD/W$SD/(Hands)
vs 3-Bet Call/Fold/4-Bet: 67 / 33 / 0

Donk Flop: 52%
AFq F/T/R: 48 / 53 / 62
WWSF: 57%

I have lots notes on him, but I will reveal only the most important ones, especially regarding donk betting.

- slowplay w/ FH and strong raise OTR
- gaybets1 BB = air (confirmed)

- donk gaybets for super thin value with 2ndp/3rdp
- donk 1/3 in 3way @A76r w/ air | Confirmed
- donk/fold 8-10 @JTTtt
- donk 1/2 // call 3.5 raise w/ AT-high, donk 1/3, donk 1/10
- donk 1/2, 1/3, 1/3 w/ TPMK
- donk 1/1 w/ gs+bd FD, FD, 2/3 w/ flush

This player shows up from time to time on the network. Seems like he wants just to have some fun and enjoy the game.

Preflop
I have posistional and skill advantage + quite likely card advantage, all of them together are a good reason to 3-bet.

Flop
The board is super dry and he donks with half of his range. AT-high is almost always ahead.

Turn
Same here.

River
Meh, some of his hands got there (random pairs + 5x). I realize he could a better hand than mine into a bluff (like 22-33 or A4o, T9 as well). Still, his range contains so much air, his aggression is enormous and furthermore I have been offered a good price to call.

On the other side the board runout isn't good for me.

Call or fold?

Posted over 2 years ago

blah234

2602 posts
Joined 12/2009

- donk gaybets for super thin value with 2ndp/3rdp

So we get to the river with A high where the bottom of villain's bluffing range has great equity vs our hand while villain can be value towning us with random pair. Once you get to the river you probably have to call given the price but getting there with A high is horrible.

I think you need to learn how to adjust your ranges vs this player instead of trying to be copy what you see without understanding the reasoning behind the plays.

Posted over 2 years ago

zachd2323

3146 posts
Joined 04/2010

It seems like it would be better to turn this hand into a bluff or fold. I just think that too often he's bluffing with a better hand here.

Posted over 2 years ago

terp

2005 posts
Joined 01/2008

well, with 3:1 you're breaking even if he were dealt uno cards...

Text results appended to pokerstove.txt

990 games 0.001 secs 990,000 games/sec

Board: 4d 6c Js 7c 8d
Dead:

equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 25.101% 24.65% 00.45% 244 4.50 { AsTd }
Hand 1: 74.899% 74.44% 00.45% 737 4.50 { random }

Posted over 2 years ago

StackHunter

2881 posts
Joined 09/2010

but getting there with A high is horrible.

Did I something wrong or flop and turn? How would you play here with ATo against him?

@terp
Heh, but he is more likely to have less than random range here, because he raised pre and called my 3b. What is your decision OTR?

Posted over 2 years ago

terp

2005 posts
Joined 01/2008

SH, yes, that is my point - your hand has a breakeven call against two random cards and is in far worse shape against a range that managed to get here. i would fold now, though raising has some merit.

in general when you have a weak bluffcatcher like this, you can call the flop, but you need to fold the turn when the board becomes at all more coordinated. any card lower than the board here, any card that pairs the board, and any card that improves you even marginally (T, Q, K, A come to mind) allow you to continue.

Posted over 2 years ago

StackHunter

2881 posts
Joined 09/2010

Ok everything is clear now, thanks.

Posted over 2 years ago

DwelF

895 posts
Joined 10/2009

- donk/fold 8-10 @JTTtt

I dont get this note, did he dbet/fold T8 or did he bet 8 into 10 and folded?

Also regarding the hand, I think that turn is a fold. It sucks but your hand just has 6 outs against a pair and he seems capable of betting any pair. This widens his 'value' range to much against Ahigh, just fold and try to drain him when you have a hand.

Also I feel like this particular board might be less good to raise because alot of villains holdings have pair+draw/draw/top pair none of which he is gonna fold often. Only if he confirmed double barrels K4 we might find a good spot to raise.

Posted over 2 years ago

shuttle

3364 posts
Joined 11/2008

Honestly I prefer flatting pre. But yeah as played I definitely don't like the calldown, A high tends to do better vs polarized barrel ranges....

Posted over 2 years ago

StackHunter

2881 posts
Joined 09/2010

- donk/fold 8-10 @JTTtt

I dont get this note, did he dbet/fold T8 or did he bet 8 into 10 and folded?

This #2, $8 into $10 and folded to a raise.

Now I clearly understand calling is bad here. I did call him and he showed up with 65o.

Posted over 2 years ago

MagisterLudi

184 posts
Joined 12/2009

You didn't follow your reads here - they indicate he bets bigger when wants a fold / has air. You bring up that he bet-folded 4/5 pot on JTT and bet pot with a monster draw. This means that it is very unlikely that he bluffs on the river because of his UNDERsizing, so your options are not call/fold but raise(bluff)/fold.

Did he really have 65o? That would be strange as he opens only 13% PFR and folds some hands pre and he shouldn't have such hands there. For this reason you should also realize that his donking range in 3-bet pot (after he open-raised preflop) is much different from the one in single-raised pots.
And thus, your 3-bet pre-flop + flop/turn calls become very thin now.

Posted over 2 years ago

terp

2005 posts
Joined 01/2008

Honestly I prefer flatting pre. But yeah as played I definitely don't like the calldown, A high tends to do better vs polarized barrel ranges....

i think with deeper stacks 3b is going to be a pretty good option and never much worse than calling, especially if any regs in the blinds are semi-deep too. we still are effectively quite deep even if we have the same range for 3b as we would to call and we also are more likely to be heads up.

on the button, this is less of a concern, since we always have absolute position even if not heads up, so i guess in this particular instance i'd flat

Posted over 2 years ago

HomePoker ForumsSmall Stakes Shorthanded NL → NL50 - ATo-high vs aggro fish - hero call #2?