Full Ring No Limit Poker Forums

The sickest $1/$2 hand I have ever seen...

or track by Email or RSS

TravD

54 posts
Joined 02/2012

I will make this short and sweet and reveal all info because I hate poker and hate this hand right now...

Relevant stack sizes
UTG $280
Hero in SB $140

UTG limps
MP limps
Button limps
Hero completes with 9Spade 10Club
BB checks

Pot = $10
Flop is 7Spade 8Club JHeart

Hero has the nuts

Hero bets $10 into $10 pot

BB folds
UTG calls
Everyone else folds

Pot = $30

Turn is KHeart

I still have the NUTS and fear the flush draw so I bet $25 into the $30 pot
UTG calls again

At this point and time I am thinking to myself...does this idiot have Q 10?????????????????

But that hand does not make sense to call a full pot bet on the flop with

Pot = $80
River is ASpade

Q 10 just got there but I still would never ever in a million years put him on that

So I think about it for a bit and Q 10 just doesn't seem logical to keep calling 2 streets with
I bet pot on both streets
He did not have the odds

So I talk myself into thinking that I still have the nut straight

I triple barrel for $50

UTG raises all in and Im thinking WTF??????????

I only had $53 bucks left and the pot was over $200 so I felt I had to call to see if
this moron really had Q 10

I call and he does indeed flip over QHeart 10Heart for the broadway straight

Did I play this hand wrong?

Was I way too aggressive from OOP from the SB?

Was it just a cooler situation where I should always stack off 100% of the time?

Should I have not called the $1 pre-flop from the SB? That way I would have never been
in the hand in the first place??

Trav

Posted over 2 years ago

nervy

237 posts
Joined 03/2010

Loose passive guy kept calling you with a gutshot and got there on the river? What's so sick in that?

Posted over 2 years ago

UU!I.I.4AAUU35

1730 posts
Joined 07/2010

Did I play this hand wrong?

Was I way too aggressive from OOP from the SB?

Was it just a cooler situation where I should always stack off 100% of the time?

Should I have not called the $1 pre-flop from the SB? That way I would have never been
in the hand in the first place??

Trav

I think you played it well. No, not too aggresive, maybe bet even bigger. I think your hand is ok to complete in this spot. Yes, its a cooler, and you had to stack off. Hands like this are the reason why bankroll is so important. You must be able to tolerate some level of risk to be a long term winner.

Posted over 2 years ago

danspeedy1

316 posts
Joined 01/2011

The only questionable part of villains play is OTF with just a gut-shot and back-door flush draw. He's never going away on the turn and hits the nuts on the river.

Still think it's a call on the river. Villain could play AA,KK his way as your hand is pretty disguised

Posted over 2 years ago

TravD

54 posts
Joined 02/2012

Loose passive guy kept calling you with a gutshot and got there on the river? What's so sick in that?

What is sick about someone flopping the NUT straight and the ONLY way that the hand can be
beat is by runner runner when a guy keeps calling with the dumbest hand on planet earth?

Yeah...Q 10 from UTG is really a hand that you should play

What a joke

Posted over 2 years ago

UU!I.I.4AAUU35

1730 posts
Joined 07/2010

No shame in quitting. I agree he played it pretty bad, especially pre flop and on the flop. If this kind of thing upsets you, then maybe this game isn't for you. If you want some special formula to always win without risking any money, then maybe you need to look into something else.

Posted over 2 years ago

AdamTGrinder

13 posts
Joined 08/2010

Super sick cooler everything i read you played the hand fine just unlucky 100% stack off

Posted over 2 years ago

TravD

54 posts
Joined 02/2012

I realize that poker is a game where it does not matter how many thousands of hours you have put into working on your game because even a 1st time player can beat you.

It's a joke.

I would not recommend the game of poker to anyone who is wanting to learn it. I would advise them to take up skydiving or alligator wrestling instead...they would probably have more success and more fun.

Posted over 2 years ago

raphaelsep

1 posts
Joined 02/2012

You played it right imo.
Considering that he called your pot sized bet on the flop, he wouldn't go anywhere.
He got lucky

Posted over 2 years ago

UU!I.I.4AAUU35

1730 posts
Joined 07/2010

FaceMyAlterEgo

424 posts
Joined 07/2010

I think it's time 4 u 2 quit...

This.
Alternatively, you could come and play in my games online, just to juice them up a bit.

But seriously, if hands like that bother you that much, you need to work on your mindset.

Posted over 2 years ago

TecmoSuperBowl

Tribe Leader
5688 posts
Joined 01/2009

Don't you hate it when your opponents make a ton of mistakes? I just wish everyone played correctly. That would help me win.

Oh wait...

Posted over 2 years ago

UU!I.I.4AAUU35

1730 posts
Joined 07/2010

Move up to where the players aren't so bad that you can't beat them.

Posted over 2 years ago

theaddicane

57 posts
Joined 09/2010

You played this hand fine, TravD. Give yourself a pat on the back. The villain loses money here and you win money - and when the scenarios are reversed then you won't make the same mistakes.

If you can take anything from this hand, though, it's that your mindset for poker could be a bit better, mate. It's a constant recommendation of mine, but watch The Eightfold Path to Poker Enlightenment. The language here suggests that you're taking this as a negative experience but you're being results orientated - you were winning money long before the card were flipped over at showdown.

Your assessment that the villain never has QT in his range there was inaccurate as he turned up with it at showdown. Take this information regarding the villain's tendancies with drawing hands, add it to your adaptations, and increase the winrate against this villain. Without running the maths specifically I think it's still very likely the case that including this hand in his range would not change how you should play the hand and the call on the river is still +EV, I would like to add.

What I'm saying is that it's an experience that was both +EV and has many positive outcomes if you approach the situation with the correct mindset. I hope you shake off being disheartened with poker soon.

Posted over 2 years ago

strukl

273 posts
Joined 07/2010

hero plays 1/2 and has 140$,is that your whole BR and are you pissed because of that?

Posted over 2 years ago

HomePoker ForumsFull Ring No Limit → The sickest $1/$2 hand I have ever seen...