Member Videos Poker Forums

DC Members sharing Videos

or track by Email or RSS

MickeyWins

1566 posts
Joined 07/2007

DC members making their own vidoes and sharing them with each other
as a learning tool was suggested in small stakes limit forum
by some 2/4 players. But I don't see why everyone can't participate.
I dont know how or if this will go over with the admins.
SO I AM ASKING, IS THIS OK WITH YOU GUYS?
we promise not to sell them as we dont want to compete with you(*wink*).
But I think its a great idea.
we need to know who is interested, if anyone.
and I personally need to know how to make a video.
please reply with questions and/or comments.

for now this is just a feeler thread.

Posted almost 7 years ago

Hypnotic

1169 posts
Joined 02/2008

I don't see why they would care, or not even encourage it.

I would not expect them to host it though.

I would like to participate

JJack

284 posts
Joined 10/2007

hen

67 posts
Joined 01/2008

Learning's twoplustwo vid guide

should help with the how to make vid stuff. hosting should be with megaupload or alike

DeathDonkey

5389 posts
Joined 11/2006

I'd be happy to watch many member videos and provide comments, I think its a great idea. We definitely have long term plans to incorporate member videos more directly on the site, but we want to make sure we do it in a way that is easy to use and useful, so that guide from 2+2 is an excellent resource for now.

-DeathDonkey

jajvirta

725 posts
Joined 03/2007

Yeah, I'm in also.

I think it's important that it's done in pairs or similar pre-organized structure. Just making a video and expecting random people to comment on it isn't going to work. (Unless you pay for someone to do it. :-) But setting up pairs forces one to make the actual effort, which isn't that big anyhow, and making the effort is what it's all about.

I also think that using videos might be more effective than the standard 2+2 hand swaps, or at least effective in a different way. It's much easier to just let the video roll and pause whenever your gut reaction differs from a play, line, whatever.

Finally, this thing needs an organizer. Nothing too dramatic, but just setting up pairs and setting some deadlines (or else nothing ever gets done) and so forth.

But I'm urging anyone interested in doing such a thing to voice it in this thread so that we know how many are interested.

Iryoku

245 posts
Joined 03/2008

maybe add an upload feature that could post to the site and create a section for member provided content... while it would increase your traffic, and what not I think it'd be a great idea... I can show you somewhat what I'm talking about on a completley unrelated site, but it works and its cool.

MickeyWins

1566 posts
Joined 07/2007

MickeyWins, Hypnotic, JJack, Jajvirta, I am not sure if the rest of you want to be "IN".

Hen thanks for the link, that will help a ton.
DD thanks for permission to proceed, and for volunteering some of your time to watch and provide comments on our play. DD, I am sure all the rest of the players here on DC will join me in telling you how much we appreciate all the time and effort you put into helping us. I want you to know we realize your time is valuable, and that you still choose to spend it on us. thank you so very much!!

We have 4, for sure, thats enough to give it a try.
And I am sure more will join in later.

Does anyone want to volunteer to be organizer?
jajvirta, are you interested in being organizer?
if someone had previous experience with making videos,and/or organizing that would be helpful.

jaj, as for pairing up. I dont have a problem with that, however, I like the idea of lots of feed back. I think it would be helpful if as many players as possible viewed and made comments.
perhaps we could have "work groups" of 5.(or pick a number). we could also make pairing commitments within the group. I also agree its nice to get feed back from players playing the same limits, so that could be a way of setting up groups or pairings.
I personally dont mind watching higher or lower stakes videos, course my thoughts are not as helpful for the higher.

If I get some time later tonight, I will look more into what it takes to make a video, and what we need to do to make them available to others. I aint much good at puter stuff.

please keep replying, with who is "in". and with ideas etc....good luck to us all.

gpfs7

113 posts
Joined 03/2008

is this going to be strictly poker videos , i can make plenty of different kinds including poker

Entity

8667 posts
Joined 11/2006

maybe add an upload feature that could post to the site and create a section for member provided content... while it would increase your traffic, and what not I think it'd be a great idea... I can show you somewhat what I'm talking about on a completley unrelated site, but it works and its cool.

We're already working on it as DD said earlier in the thread. It will take a little bit of time to do this right (we're not doing it as a file uploading/hosting service), but it's one of our three biggest projects on the development side of things right now.

Rob

Iryoku

245 posts
Joined 03/2008

jajvirta

725 posts
Joined 03/2007

jaj, as for pairing up. I dont have a problem with that, however, I like the idea of lots of feed back. I think it would be helpful if as many players as possible viewed and made comments.

Yeah. My point is basically just that it should be made such that the effort is bearable and the whole thing doesn't collapse to its own weight. I think the most important thing is that something concrete actually gets done and the best to do it is to commit in some simple way. One can always improve later. It's been a problem of mine to sometimes get too excited in this sense and blow off the steam to actually do something. I've done basic session reviews and I know that it takes some time and effort (though all worth it) and so it will be with this thing also.

So I'm not against good ideas, but I think the most efficient solution is to start with a simple arrangement and go from there.

I can volunteer to organize this. The only little obstacle I have is that our family is in the middle of moving to another town so the next two weeks are going to be a bit hectic, and I'm probably not going to be able to a video myself during this or the next week, but other than that, I'm fine with the idea of organizing this.

Wayne Lively

539 posts
Joined 05/2007

I like this idea very much and thought that it would be a good idea last year. I do think that making it formal might be self-limiting, where having a place where people can upload videos and get feedback would be better. Much better even than posting hands.

If I could somehow figure out how to record a session, then edit it and replay hands through the hand reader, then go back to the pre-recorded session, all the better. Doing this would allow me to give more complete thoughts on how I played the hand, allowing others to comment on my thought-process. Complicated, I'm sure, and not even knowledgeable enough to know if it could be done with Camtasia software. Any expert advice would be gratefully accepted.

I'm watching this thread for developments. Not sure that makes me a contributor, lurker, or skeptic. Wink

[x] interested

CJ

iplaylimit

2426 posts
Joined 04/2007

I'm interested too, will definitely watch some video if time permits and try to create one at some point.

MickeyWins

1566 posts
Joined 07/2007

I think its obvious there is interest in this idea.
I agree with Cactus Jack, we may want to start this in a informal way, we can always pair up or form work groups around the use of videos later.
We need to get a couple videos made, and get them available.
As to get a better idea how this will work.

who has expertise on how to do that?
Does anyone have a video already made?
Do we need to purchase camtasia or are there other alternatives?
How do we get the vidoes uploadable for all?

HomePoker ForumsMember Videos → DC Members sharing Videos