Poker Video: No Limit Hold'Em by 2fouroffsuit (Micro/Small Stakes)

Duel: 2fouroffsuit (#3) - Heads Upside Down Part 3

This video is a two minute preview. To view the entire video, please Log In or Sign Up Now
Get the Flash Player to see this player.

Duel: 2fouroffsuit (#3) - Heads Upside Down Part 3 by 2fouroffsuit

2fouroffsuit is doing another session review with a focus on adjustments he finds that the hero should've adapted to.

About Duel Subscribe to

Watch as DC's finest tangle HU vs a variety of opponents.

Tags

2fouroffsuit duel heads up hunlhe nlhe video review adjustments note taking

Video Details

• Game: nlhe
  • Stakes: Micro/Small Stakes
  • 74 minutes long
  • Posted about 3 years ago

Downloads

Premium Subscribers can download high-quality, DRM-free videos in multiple formats.

Comments for Duel: 2fouroffsuit (#3) - Heads Upside Down Part 3

or track by Email or RSS

onehundred47

404 posts
Joined 10/2009

Time Link to 00:39:01

Here I didn't cbet after 4bet PF because I didn't want to get ck/raised and I was following my poor note "bluff less". So we are planning to cbet and 2barrel all in turn ? What if he raises our cbet?
We know that he is trapping with slowplay but we don't know what he is raising with so are we happier about getting raised or called ?

Open wider: I'm not a regular HU player (as you can see hah) and that J4s flat didn't seem standard for me so if he is calling J4s I think I can open wider and go with Q5o for example. But I don't know if it's a good adjust because if he is calling wider it's more difficult to hand read and with weak hands I'm not confident to barrel and call once he could have any type of hand.
Bluff less: because he is ck/r and raising a lot and if he is doing it so frequently I want to have a hand which I could call with next time.

This video will improve a lot my way of taking notes and adjusting, I really like the format of that sheet. I have big problems on note taking because when I'm playing I don't know where to look at if notes are too long and if not sometimes I get lost and don't even know if it's useful in some kind of situation. With this method (I don't know if it's your standard or you just did it for the video, but I would like to know ^^) it's easier to look at what we are searching and helps a lot to know if what we are typing/writing is useful and where. It's like creating a new poker strategy which is only right against this player. I really like it : ) .

About my play I know I could play differently in some spots and sometimes it's frustrating when I miss my play because we don't know how he would react (Like that AJ 4bet where I don't cbet on T54tt) sorry for that. I learn a lot until now (not finished the video yet) and I would like to thank 2fouroffsuit for that and I hope to contribute more later and in higher stakes hah.

Posted about 3 years ago

2fouroffsuit

1975 posts
Joined 01/2008

Here I didn't cbet after 4bet PF because I didn't want to get ck/raised and I was following my poor note "bluff less". So we are planning to cbet and 2barrel all in turn ? What if he raises our cbet?
We know that he is trapping with slowplay but we don't know what he is raising with so are we happier about getting raised or called?

It's important to keep in mind just how wide his range is. When he snap calls the 4bet he probably has most all of his 3betting range when we get to the flop. With that in mind doing something like cbetting and jamming some turns where we pick up equity/fold equity seems like a good plan, similarly, just cbetting and taking down the $14.50 that's in there is a good result as well. We may also end up getting called by worse hands like flush or straight draws and can get to showdown and win.
If he raises our cbet I'd suspect that he probably has a Tx hand. I think that it'd be unlikely that he'd check minraise with a draw or with pure air, as it's starting to commit a pretty large portion of our stack.

We do know that he's capable of trapping, but this kind fo board texture doesn't lend itself to very many strong hands. He could have sets, or maybe a hand like JJ, but he's probably just getting in QQ+preflop, which represent a pretty small portion of his overall range since we suspect that he's 3betting fairly wide. I'm happier to get called.

Open wider: I'm not a regular HU player (as you can see hah) and that J4s flat didn't seem standard for me so if he is calling J4s I think I can open wider and go with Q5o for example. But I don't know if it's a good adjust because if he is calling wider it's more difficult to hand read and with weak hands I'm not confident to barrel and call once he could have any type of hand.
Bluff less: because he is ck/r and raising a lot and if he is doing it so frequently I want to have a hand which I could call with next time.

LIke I mentioned, I suspected that you were already opening at least 90% as if we're opening 34o we should be opening Q5o as well. Vs someone that's defending very wide, adding in the bottom couple % of hands isn't going to show an immediate profit preflop, it will depend on their postflop tendencies.

With regards to bluffing less, that's why I like the checklist. So we can see in which areas he is likely to be honest, or likely to call down; instead of just throwing a blanket statement out of "bluff less."

When I play, I consciously try to make notes that will easily allow me to recognize why I took it and what to do about it. Sometimes that's internal like "checked back QQ on A64r as prf" I know that he's likely pot controlling less than top pair hands on boards like this and I'll adjust by check raising more (he is polarizing his cbetting range by removing medium strength hands) and not leading the turn with bluffs. Other times it's explicit: "This guy just never ever ever bluffs past the flop." I came up with the idea of a checklist in order to help map out the tendencies in different areas so that I could easily refer back instead of cycling through a ton of notes, it also helps to start looking for areas here you might not currently be taking notes.

I think that you are playing pretty well and I think that with more experience in HU you will be able to more quickly recognize these situations and adjust accordingly. Hopefully, this approach to note taking and adjusting will help you in your 6m or FR games as well. Smile

Posted about 3 years ago

chrisbroholm

218 posts
Joined 07/2008

Hey 24offsuit, do you recommend new HU players to play just one table starting out to accommodate all these notepads Grin?

Posted about 3 years ago

2fouroffsuit

1975 posts
Joined 01/2008

Absolutely. One table will usually be plenty for someone new to HU. If you really really can't stand only playing one table, I'd advise 2 against the same opponent, and then work towards being able to play multiple people at the same time.

Posted about 3 years ago

onehundred47

404 posts
Joined 10/2009

no time now. tomorrow I'll read and answer the big one .

For chrisbroholm I agree with 24o it's better to start with just one table until you get the habit to use that kind of note taking (even if it only takes 1hour) then you can open one more against the same opponent.
Playing 2 different opponents will be much more hard for note taking and it'll will need more focus too for not confusing your mental notes. And if you try to relate some tendencies and try to plan a more "advanced" (not intuitive) counter attack strategy for 2 opp at the same time it will be much more difficult.

Today I played some hours HU and it really changed my game. It's even more challeging and fun and it's brutal when you have a bunch of plans that works nearly 100% but I know it only happens at NL50 where nearly no one is adjusting.

Once I decide to get coach for HU I will not forget what you've made to my play ^^

Posted about 3 years ago

onehundred47

404 posts
Joined 10/2009

Time Link to 01:06:30

Here is something that I do alot: betting big to make sure that he will not call with draws and hands weaker than mine because I will not 3barrel and 90% of the time that he misses draws (which are hands that become more likely to call if we reduce bet size) I think he will bet river . That's why I bet so big, it's like betting for information for me to make sure that I cant continue on river.
I'm not sure if it's a good move. It's more secure because we have no difficult spot river, but on the other side maybe we are missing some value by betting so big because he will only call with a hand and draws will more likely fold. what would you do if I didn't 2barrel and he bets turn ?

btw I would like to watch you playing for next episode and see the work flow with note taking ^^.

edit: one more thing. is it a good plane to take notes on our own to try to figure out how he sees me and also to be aware where can I be exploitable by not being balanced or by being unbalanced in wrong way?

Posted about 3 years ago

LHE Student

50 posts
Joined 07/2007

I have enjoyed the content of this series and find it to be valuable as well as informative. Part 2 and 3, you break down a game plan extremely well by detailing what hero should do vs villain. It makes sense to attack weakness as well as bluff catch or understand what mindset villain has and how they play there range.

What I would like to see in the next video is the same format: you breaking down our hero's play and game planning vs villain. However, I want to see our hero apply the game plan and see what happens. Not every villain is the same. Some villains will be more exploitable and our hero will have a bigger win rate against. On the other hand, some villains will take longer to win against due to their decision making against hero. What I believe to be of more value is seeing our hero apply these game plans better and start attacking our villain.

Posted about 3 years ago

2fouroffsuit

1975 posts
Joined 01/2008

@onehundred147 This isn't really a good idea to make him fold worse hands and call or raise with better hands. Sure it makes it easier to play, but so does folding preflop, and both are going to be costing us money. If you think that he's going to bet the river with missed draws then we can check call the river. Ease of play and information aren't really great reasons to bet. I agree that it's a tricky spot, but it comes back to assigning him a range, and then figuring out what to do against it. Against this particular player I think that we can probably check fold, he hasn't shown us that he's really going to be aggressively attacking spots where we're showing weakness, and hasn't been deciding to turn weak made hands into bluffs.

re: taking notes on ourselves.
This is somewhat what we're doing when we're outlining our plan. We're writing out the adjustments that we're making based off of what we've seen. BUT! It's important not to overestimate our opponents; most people that you will play at low stakes are pretty poor at adjusting in the first place. So look at how your opponent "should" see you and try to react, you're probably just leveling yourself and costing yourself money.

I like to check in on my own stats, and to remember what he sees when we get to showdown and look to see if he is adjusting. Often times I want to be sure that this player is adjusting in some way to what I'm doing before I make another adjustment. There are players and situations where I'll preemptively adjust to stay one step ahead of them based on adjustments that we think they'll make, but this just takes some experience and really getting into your opponents' heads.

We'll see if there will be live play or another video review for episode 4. I'm not sure yet.

Posted about 3 years ago

2fouroffsuit

1975 posts
Joined 01/2008

@LHE student

Thanks, I'm glad you're enjoying it. I understand what you're saying, but it's a little difficult to do logistically.

You're right, every villain is different. Some villains will make good counter adjustments against us and force us to look deeper at their more recent actions in the match to see "where they are at" with regards to where they think we're at. This is part of revisiting our assumptions.

I'll see what I can facilitate, if anyone would like to help with the kind of thing that you're talking about please PM me or post in this thread. Smile

Posted about 3 years ago

ihavefavor

53 posts
Joined 05/2011

Time Link to 00:43:28

If we did value bet the flop here would you continue to bet the turn when the ks hits?

Posted about 3 years ago

2fouroffsuit

1975 posts
Joined 01/2008

If we did value bet the flop here would you continue to bet the turn when the ks hits?

Vs this guy I think that we can pretty safely bet/fold the turn and probably most non-spade non-4straight rivers.

Posted about 3 years ago

42 posts
Joined 01/2010

2fouroffsuit

1975 posts
Joined 01/2008

What if we hit flush on river and he overbets?

Seems like an easy fold.

Posted about 3 years ago

CAMEL247

97 posts
Joined 11/2011

38:55 villain min 3B and we 4B AJo. pot is $14.5... we have $43.4 behind.

flop is like Txx two suits

I normally just try to check this down because AJo has SDV. why are we trying to setup stacks for a turn shove? because your look to double barrel all in on 2,3 high card K? I don't even think he folds Tx here to turn shove.

Posted over 2 years ago

HomePoker ForumsHeads Up NL → Duel : 2fouroffsuit (#3) - Heads Upside Down Part 3