Heads Up NL Poker Forums

Page 2: Anyone playing 50nl want a free video review/coaching session?

or track by Email or RSS

2fouroffsuit

2017 posts
Joined 01/2008

A-LX

588 posts
Joined 09/2009

17:45 the number is 37.5%, its mostly a math thing

we raise to 3 to win 1.5 (1bb + 1 sb) that means we infest 2,5 to win 1,5. If we were opening a 100% of buttons we need to have at least 62.5% [2.5/ (2.5+1.5)] foldequity in order to breakeven, Which means villain needs to defend 100 - 62.6 = 37.5 % in order to prevent us from making a profit .

Posted almost 4 years ago

2fouroffsuit

2017 posts
Joined 01/2008

17:45 the number is 37.5%, its mostly a math thing

we raise to 3 to win 1.5 (1bb + 1 sb) that means we infest 2,5 to win 1,5. If we were opening a 100% of buttons we need to have at least 62.5% [2.5/ (2.5+1.5)] foldequity in order to breakeven, Which means villain needs to defend 100 - 62.6 = 37.5 % in order to prevent us from making a profit .

Thanks for the math, I thought that that was what it was, although I'd not done the calcs myself.
The crux of what I was getting at with that is that we need to be attacking his BB pretty liberally and even if he begins to defend more than that 37.5% we can still make money against that by winning money by 4betting, or winning money post flop. ex: If he's defending 100% and folding to 90% of cbets obviously we are making a shitload of money off of him by opening 100%.

I'm sure that what I said during the video might have been a bit jumbled but the point is some people could certainly benefit by opening wider on the button.Smile

Just finished up your vid A-LX it ran a little over an hour and is rendering right now. I'll post it right afterwards.

A-LX

588 posts
Joined 09/2009

yeah, I think though that even when he 3bets every time he defends, like you mentioned in the video, we can still make an automatic profit if he's not 3betting more than 37.5% because he will be folding enough when he doesnt defend. But yeah definitely agree with 4betting to make even more hehe.

Just finished up your vid A-LX it ran a little over an hour and is rendering right now. I'll post it right afterwards.

thanks, looking forward to watching it

TecmoSuperBowl

Tribe Leader
5688 posts
Joined 01/2009

I can't speak to 2four's HU skills, but he sucks at basketball so beware.

2fouroffsuit

2017 posts
Joined 01/2008

I can't speak to 2four's HU skills, but he sucks at basketball so beware.

Game's fkn rigged imo!

SamRoss

74 posts
Joined 03/2009

inb4 leg lengthening surgery Smile

watching the vid as we speak, thanks for the review. il reply later.

SamRoss

74 posts
Joined 03/2009

opening range tends to be between 55-75% depending on villain.

my btn opening range
22-AA - K4s+ - Q8s+ - J8s+ - 67s+
89o+ - J8o+ - K8o+ - any 2 broadways

my oop calling range:
22-88 ( I sometimes 3bet 88) - ATo+ - KJo+ - QJs+ - JTs+
67s+ - Any suited ace

3bet range: 99+ - AJ+
I tighten these ranges vs stations and loosen them vs nits.

----
in the QQ hand, I felt his 3bet call range was so full of Ax and Kx type hands. I do understand your logic for betting the turn. would a turn cbet of $4.75 into the $9.50 pot be a good size?

in regards to my opening range consistency, I'l definately work on that.

3 barreling has always been a problem for me. thanks for the info.

I guess it all boils down to:

1) improve hand reading
2) be more consistent with opening range
3) polarize 3bet range to weak hands that flop well and the occasional nut hand.

I have my 1st session with my new coach tomorrow.

2fouroffsuit

2017 posts
Joined 01/2008

http://membervideos.deucescracked.com/2fouroffsuit/10682/A-LX%20HU%20review.mp4
Finally! This had to render like 5 times to get it to work right! Post any questions you may have in this thread. Smile

A-LX

588 posts
Joined 09/2009

BEWARE SUPER LONG POST AHEAD

2:50 I agree with flatting, I guess I didnt want my action to be killed on later streets so I was hoping he would try and get it in and start of with a more aggro dynamic I guess, and yeah on the turn betting small is much better

8:22 Yeah I agree, I don't always call that, I guess depends on my mood but its definitely not standard for me to call that hand,

10:44 Minraising might be better I think I usually change at around 30bb I think, but maybe starting from 50 might not be that bad of an idea

14:30 Wont people pick up on that when you make it smaller with your big hands and large with your smaller ones?

17:08 Yeah I usually check there cause it seems to weak of a hand but I guess that doesnt matter much if he's limp folding a lot

18:25 How low do you go usually when villains calling alot preflop and kind of call happy postflop. I tend to go really tight sometimes (60% sometimes 50) and make it 4x or 5x and only bet for value

21:05 Yeah I was definitely checking there, sometimes I just want to consider the option of betting there without actually doing it in this spot it seems like a clear check, but might be some other spot where I could bet.

28:00 Definitely something to consider but it always feels so weird asking people to rebuy, its like "hey I feel uncomfortable playing short, so can you please reload ,so I can have a bigger edge on you"

29:40 Haha my notes are in written in dutch mixed with a bit of English so it might be a bit harder to understand Poke Tongue

31:00 My 3bet strategy tends to be somewhat on the tighter side, mostly for value against the call happy opponents, and a bit looser when he seems more competent or when he's folding a lot it usually ranges from 10 to 20% , sometimes more if they're folding like 85% + and never playing back.

So against the call happy opponent I might expand my value range a bit and just depolarize but add a lot of good broad ways because they're ahead of his calling range

Against people who fold a lot I usually 3bet a lot and call my premiums

Against people who 4bet a lot, I usually 3bet hands that I'm willing to 5bet light so I start adding Ax hands and all pairs

36:18 I think I made my decision either on the turn or when I checked before he actually made the bet, so thats why it may seem like I was snap calling without thinking, when in fact I already thought it through before clicking the call button. I think making the decisions early on before they actually happen, will really help when playing more than 2 tables.

37:40 Yeah I wasnt really sure either about this 3bet cause he seemed somehat tilted but then again I havent 3bet him at all throughout the match so he might fold anyway.

38:58 Heh, just now do I see how much equity I really have on that flop, i guess my board reading skills were a bit off in this video, cause later on when I folded way too fast I kinda missed i Had a gutshot as well

40:51 I would defenitely check/raise a stronger Qx hand, like QJ or something, maybe QT but Q9 seemed a bit too weak for that and only gets me in a sucky spot when I havent really established an agressive checkraising dynamic yet.

45:40, Yeah I guess 3xing would be ok, I think I couldve 4bet jammed over his 3bet if I made it 3x, and also he was 3betting a lot but not maniacal or anything, and its not like he was exploiting us when we were making it 3x, so no real good reason to minraise

48:41 Hehe I was actually cbetting there not leading into him Poke Tongue

49:21 Yeah kinda the same with the earlier hand but didnt really realize how fast I was thinking at that point, in my head it always seems like I'm thinking much longer but now that i see it on video it almost looks like a snap decision . But yeah waiting a bit longer even if you already made the decision will probably benefit a lot in this spot because i'm raising instead of just calling

53:32, I dont like these spots I guess I thought he was never folding so I just called his minbet to see what he had and I might have been good there some % of the time

55:21 On the left I decided not to bet because i figured that oncer he checks back that flop he has Ahigh type of hands a lot of the time so he's probably never folding, so i decided to check/fold. Would you ever bet there just because we picked up some equity?

56:50 I decided not to cbet because i thought he wasnt folding much but didnt realize I had a gutter there so I actaully couldve bet there and barreled some turns hoping he folds his weaker highcard hands

1:06:22 I have noo idea why I folded there, I do remember not seeing the gutshot untill I was rewatching the video though, but even then its probably still a call

Thanks a lot for reviewing really helped me out a lot, and I'm sure alot of other people can benefit from whatching that video as well

SamRoss

74 posts
Joined 03/2009

2fouroffsuit

2017 posts
Joined 01/2008

BEWARE SUPER LONG RESPONSE AHEAD

14:30 Wont people pick up on that when you make it smaller with your big hands and large with your smaller ones?

As I mentioned earlier in the thread the kind of people that are passively limping buttons usually aren't really thinking that deeply about the game. The thing is that if they are limp folding all the time they have no idea what kind of hands we are making it large with. If we make it $2 and they fold every time and then we make it $1.50 when we have AA or some other good hand that we want to play postflop with, he's likely just going to see that it is now cheaper to call.

If he somehow does intuit that that is our strategy and starts calling or raising a lot of our large raises we can readjust our strategy by either not raising as large with as wide of a range (esp if he is limp 3betting) or by raising all of our hands to the same size.

18:25 How low do you go usually when villains calling alot preflop and kind of call happy postflop. I tend to go really tight sometimes (60% sometimes 50) and make it 4x or 5x and only bet for value

I think that these are good adjustments to make. It's important to remember that when the villain is defending wide pre and calling a lot postflop that their overall range is really wide and weak. It can be frustrating to play against this type of opponent when we are card dead or not hitting flops, but that means that we need to be betting thinner for value and possibly running some 3 barrel bluffs against them (this is a trickier and more expensive adjustment to make). I'm not sure if I would go as low as 50%, but I would restructure my opening range some to include all hands with high card value that can flop a good top or middle pair and less of the lower sc'ish hands like 64s.

28:00 Definitely something to consider but it always feels so weird asking people to rebuy, its like "hey I feel uncomfortable playing short, so can you please reload ,so I can have a bigger edge on you"

You can phrase it however you want, if they are a recreational player they probably won't understand that it's so that you can get a larger edge on them. It kinda sucks when their stack gets so low that the rake is now taking a significant portion of their stack on every hand that you see a flop with. I personally am pretty comfortable with low bb shove/fold ranges and so I usually keep playing. It's just important to not let yourself get tilted if they run a very low amount of money back up to a full stack or more.

31:00 My 3bet strategy tends to be somewhat on the tighter side, mostly for value against the call happy opponents, and a bit looser when he seems more competent or when he's folding a lot it usually ranges from 10 to 20% , sometimes more if they're folding like 85% + and never playing back.

This is a good place to start. I think that vs people that are folding a very high % and never playing back, you should really open up your 3betting range. Try experimenting with what it's like to be 3betting a really high %, that way when you encounter someone who is 3betting like a maniac you can have kind of an idea of what it really takes to be playing that style.

So against the call happy opponent I might expand my value range a bit and just depolarize but add a lot of good broad ways because they're ahead of his calling range

Against people who fold a lot I usually 3bet a lot and call my premiums

This is perfect, but rather than flatting premiums I would rather be 3betting a much wider range to get him to adjust so that I didn't have to flat them, or 3bet them smaller to see if he will be more likely to defend. The problem with flatting them is that you usually have such a large equity edge vs the kind of hands that an opponent is likely to be defending against (broadways, lower pairs) that you're usually making so much money overall even if he is folding a lot. I'm not saying that limping is by any means bad, and there can be times for it, but I'd rather just include them in my 3betting range and exploit that he is folding so much in other ways.

Against people who 4bet a lot, I usually 3bet hands that I'm willing to 5bet light so I start adding Ax hands and all pairs

If you are including all Ax hands (suited and offsuit) your range will likely be too wide here. pull up poker stove and see which hands have the most equity vs a 4bet/calling range and just use those. Like A2s and A6s are probably going to have more equity than ATo depending on just how wide or narrow his range is.

48:41 Hehe I was actually cbetting there not leading into him

Whoops! Then you played it just fine.

55:21 On the left I decided not to bet because i figured that oncer he checks back that flop he has Ahigh type of hands a lot of the time so he's probably never folding, so i decided to check/fold. Would you ever bet there just because we picked up some equity?

I can be alright and vs this opponent I'd be more inclined to bet it. At 44:00 we see that after he'd lost a couple pots barreling he decided to check back J7s on 853r. If we were down in the match and he was checking back a lot of middle bottom pairs and A-high hands then it might be better to be check folding. It's an interesting spot and something I've been thinking about a lot esp when we actually have an ace. Vs a thinking player that is checking back 5x there or 44, if we lead the A turn they should know that that's a good hand for their range after they check back the flop and a bad card for us to be bluffing.

56:50 I decided not to cbet because i thought he wasnt folding much but didnt realize I had a gutter there so I actaully couldve bet there and barreled some turns hoping he folds his weaker highcard hands

Even without the gutter, if the board had come 732r instead cbetting is probably going to be best. As I mentioned his range for defending 3bets is going to be much wider because of the depth, and that is just such a hard board for him it hit, plus any 4,5,9,T give us a gutter to barrel on if he does float us with like A-high hands and obviously an 8 or 6 give us a pair. If we are just going to be check folding when we don't hit, I think that that's an argument to not be 3betting in the first place.

I hope that this was helpful let me know your thoughts and any criticisms.
GL!

A-LX

588 posts
Joined 09/2009

This is perfect, but rather than flatting premiums I would rather be 3betting a much wider range to get him to adjust so that I didn't have to flat them, or 3bet them smaller to see if he will be more likely to defend. The problem with flatting them is that you usually have such a large equity edge vs the kind of hands that an opponent is likely to be defending against (broadways, lower pairs) that you're usually making so much money overall even if he is folding a lot. I'm not saying that limping is by any means bad, and there can be times for it, but I'd rather just include them in my 3betting range and exploit that he is folding so much in other ways.

by limping do you mean calling his 3bet? or actual limping

If you are including all Ax hands (suited and offsuit) your range will likely be too wide here. pull up poker stove and see which hands have the most equity vs a 4bet/calling range and just use those. Like A2s and A6s are probably going to have more equity than ATo depending on just how wide or narrow his range is.

yeah I have been messing around with that a lot lately, and I think ATo is probably my cut off for off suit aces. Also what are your thoughts on shipping Kxs hands and some broadways? The K has some blcokers but not as good as the ace, and broadways tend to have pretty decent equity when called so you need less foldequity

2fouroffsuit

2017 posts
Joined 01/2008

I meant flatting, not sure why I wrote limping. Smile

As for Kxs hands it really comes down to what his range is. Vs a range like 99+,AQs+,AK...

KQs has 33.9% equity, A5s has 31.4%, ATo has 28.66%, something like K4s only has 27.8%.

It all comes down to playing around with pokerstove and seeing the kind of hands that he's willing to 4bet call it off with.

A-LX

588 posts
Joined 09/2009

yeah I know, but how do you factor in the blockervalue of some hands, for example yeah AT has less equity when called, but the T blocks out 3 more combos which accounts for about 4.4% more of his callingrange, so even though you have less equity when called, it will grant you more foldequity because of the extra blockers. So it seems like they end up being the same hand.

I'm actually surprised hands like KQ and KJ have more equity against that range than most suited aces I always expected them to be worse because of all the aces in his range but I guess they weigh in less than all the pairs or something

HomePoker ForumsHeads Up NL → Anyone playing 50nl want a free video review/coaching session?