Poker Video: No Limit Hold'Em by Ansky (High Stakes)

Ansky vs durrrr: Episode Five

This video is a two minute preview. To view the entire video, please Log In or Sign Up Now
Get the Flash Player to see this player.

Ansky vs durrrr: Episode Five by Ansky

Ansky continues his session review, still on session 2 where he was 2-tabling at the time.

About Ansky vs durrrr Subscribe to

Dani recreates a $40kNL match he played vs the infamous and enigmatic Tom "durrrr" Dwan in 2008.

Tags

ansky vs durrrr ansky dani stern hh review high stakes nl heads up nl holdem ipod friendly

Video Details

• Game: nlhe
  • Stakes: High Stakes
  • 54 minutes long
  • Posted almost 4 years ago

Downloads

Premium Subscribers can download high-quality, DRM-free videos in multiple formats.

Comments for Ansky vs durrrr: Episode Five

or track by Email or RSS

DiggerTheDog

696 posts
Joined 09/2008

Soooooo looking forward to this.....gotta say Anskys videos alone is worth the price of my subscription....that is an epiphany I would like to share.

Posted almost 4 years ago

thnkpositive

106 posts
Joined 11/2009

Time Link to 00:15:54

I think it's pretty hard to 3 bet the flop w/ 2 pair vs a reasonable opponent and be wrong. First of all you have blockers to sets/higher 2 pair, and second there are alot of hands that Tom check raises that would call a raise flop, bet turn shove river line.
There are 11 combo's of hands that beat you with a range of K6/7s 66,77, kk. There are 12 combo's of KQ alone in his range, and of course he doesn't always flat KQ, but he also doesn't always 3 bet AK, and he sometimes check raises KT. It's very difficult for 3 betting the flop to be bad because i'm assuming he would never fold KQ to a raise, and there is also 89 and 45.
Can you elaborate A little more on why you would prefer a call on the flop? I think raising the flop gives you more options on further streets because you can rep a wider range. If you call the only air hand you can rep on the turn is 89 and if a 5 hits your hand basically becomes a bluff/thin value bet catcher and you lose alot of value from tpgk+draws you could've gotten on the flop.

DiggerTheDog

696 posts
Joined 09/2008

Dani - over the 5 episodes there are probably 10-15 spots in total where you think you have either taken clearly the worst option or really awfully.
Couple of questions - do you think this is something you do alot less now? Alot less clear errors.

Have you found any clear patterns in these errors?

Is this typical of your session reviews?
Did you use a HUD back then?

mkalish1

118 posts
Joined 08/2010

Soepgroente

493 posts
Joined 07/2008

Time Link to 00:21:03

What about checking flop with 56 then firing turn if he checks behind to rep Ax?

Ansky

470 posts
Joined 08/2009

I think it's pretty hard to 3 bet the flop w/ 2 pair vs a reasonable opponent and be wrong. First of all you have blockers to sets/higher 2 pair, and second there are alot of hands that Tom check raises that would call a raise flop, bet turn shove river line.
There are 11 combo's of hands that beat you with a range of K6/7s 66,77, kk. There are 12 combo's of KQ alone in his range, and of course he doesn't always flat KQ, but he also doesn't always 3 bet AK, and he sometimes check raises KT. It's very difficult for 3 betting the flop to be bad because i'm assuming he would never fold KQ to a raise, and there is also 89 and 45.
Can you elaborate A little more on why you would prefer a call on the flop? I think raising the flop gives you more options on further streets because you can rep a wider range. If you call the only air hand you can rep on the turn is 89 and if a 5 hits your hand basically becomes a bluff/thin value bet catcher and you lose alot of value from tpgk+draws you could've gotten on the flop.

I guess part of it is just the idea that I will have the bottom of my perceived value range when I have just bottom 2 there, which can be dangerous. Obviously the results tell a different story...

Ansky

470 posts
Joined 08/2009

Dani - over the 5 episodes there are probably 10-15 spots in total where you think you have either taken clearly the worst option or really awfully.
Couple of questions - do you think this is something you do alot less now? Alot less clear errors.

Have you found any clear patterns in these errors?

Is this typical of your session reviews?
Did you use a HUD back then?

Some clear patterns: I valuebet way too thin when the board changed in such a way that I should slow down. Generally I didn't slowplay enough.

I did not play with a hud at the time, I do religiously use one now though.

I'd say I am less prone to stupid mental errors than I was, but I still find myself reviewing hands and putting my hands to my head and wondering what I was thinking, sometimes.

Ansky

470 posts
Joined 08/2009

What about checking flop with 56 then firing turn if he checks behind to rep Ax?

What do you mean? I was in position with the 2 pair, if we are talking about the same hand.

Ansky

470 posts
Joined 08/2009

You are bet folding the river correct?

Yes*

*probably.

da_knack

3 posts
Joined 12/2010

Time Link to 00:13:39

I was wondering if a more optimal line to take in these type of situations would be to check call the river, rather then lead bet. I feel that he is probably not going to call with worst most of the time, and by checking on the river you could at least try and induce a bluff by him...especially since its durrrr. Am I wrong in my thinking here, or in making that kind of play against players I feel could try and bluff me on the river in that spot? If so, what would make this kind of play less optimal?

Looking forward to your comments, and thanks!

Posted over 3 years ago

da_knack

3 posts
Joined 12/2010

I was wondering if a more optimal line to take in these type of situations would be to check call the river, rather then lead bet. I feel that he is probably not going to call with worst most of the time, and by checking on the river you could at least try and induce a bluff by him...especially since its durrrr. Am I wrong in my thinking here, or in making that kind of play against players I feel could try and bluff me on the river in that spot? If so, what would make this kind of play less optimal?

Looking forward to your comments, and thanks!

BTW, I just rewatched this part of the video and I didn't realize that you still had a bunch of chips left behind you after your river bet so never mind. I now understand your bet...for some reason when I first saw it I thought you went all in on the river...my mistake.

Posted over 3 years ago

da_knack

3 posts
Joined 12/2010

Time Link to 00:26:35

I thought that this hand was pretty standard too...was wondering though if you would ever check raise there with your 9? Also personally I think I would definitely check raise there with a 10 and maybe even shove or check shove on the turn there. Probably especially check shove on the turn if I thought he would bet that turn on a check...even though I doubt it since I would think he would want to take a free card there. But still, am I wrong in my thinking of check raising the river there, then shoving on the turn with a ten? If so what would be wrong with that play?

Thank you very much.

Posted over 3 years ago

Liquid Cash

144 posts
Joined 07/2011

Time Link to 00:43:16

You said why not call the turn and call any river with K6. Isn't he going to end up all in anyway? What is the difference if he shoves the turn and gets you to possibly fold or he calls turn and river? I mean the river bet defiantly puts him all in or maybe you would give up?

Posted over 2 years ago

chuck651

1342 posts
Joined 11/2010

It's beyond me why anyone would choose to play durrr. Sick sick sick

Posted over 2 years ago

HomePoker ForumsHeads Up NL → Ansky vs durrrr : Episode Five