Poker Video: No Limit Hold'Em by KRANTZ (Mid Stakes)

pr1nnyraiding: Episode One

This is a free video. Like what you see? Log In or Sign Up Now to view the rest of our Poker Videos.
Get the Flash Player to see this player.

pr1nnyraiding: Episode One by KRANTZ, WiltOnTilt

In Episode One of "pr1nnyraiding," KRANTZ and WiltOnTilt walk you through the basics of head's up no limit play, discussion the power of the button, preflop handranges, player types, and table selection.

About pr1nnyraiding Subscribe to

Krantz and WiltOnTilt provide a heads up No Limit primer. A comprehensive guide to beating small stakes HU NLHE.

Tags

krantz wiltontilt pr1nnyraiding heads up hunl ssnl no limit ipod friendly psychology table selection

Video Details

• Game: nlhe
  • Stakes: Mid Stakes
  • 53 minutes long
  • Posted over 6 years ago

Downloads

Premium Subscribers can download high-quality, DRM-free videos in multiple formats.

Comments for pr1nnyraiding: Episode One

or track by Email or RSS

archangel95

21 posts
Joined 03/2008

Where should we post HU hands as we attempt to implement and learn this? I posted one in the low stakes NLHE section but got no replies and I have another I think is interesting, but I don't want to go to the trouble of posting it if no one is gonna reply.

Awesome vid though and I'm really excited about this series and I'm enjoying my subscription.

Posted over 6 years ago

KRANTZ

3150 posts
Joined 07/2007

Where should we post HU hands as we attempt to implement and learn this? I posted one in the low stakes NLHE section but got no replies and I have another I think is interesting, but I don't want to go to the trouble of posting it if no one is gonna reply.

Awesome vid though and I'm really excited about this series and I'm enjoying my subscription.

Feel free to post them here if they relate to the topics in the video. Otherwise, one of us will get around to them in the strat forums :-)

Posted over 6 years ago

KRANTZ

3150 posts
Joined 07/2007

Awesome freaking season opener! Great general outline of preflop play and everything. Couple of questions however:

1.) In my experience in HU I've seen great HU players open 60%+ hands from the button and be considered TAG. The general guidelines layed out in this video is a bit over half of that. Are these just "open everytime regardless of villian" type hands or are they a default range to play against an unknown until you find his style and adjust?

2.) I haven't moved up the 50NL yet (that's the losest stakes HUCASH is spread I think) and the only HU experience I can get is playing HUSNG's. How would you guys adjust this strategy to these? Tighter or looser? Less aggressive?

Thanks!

1- Both. In future episodes we will be talking about deviating from General strategy which includes both tightening and loosening up your opening and calling (and reraising) ranges. One of the main purposes in offering these starting hand criteria though is to eliminate lots of the trouble spots that might come up for beginners who aren't used to getting involved in so many marginal situations with a diverse distribution.

2- Tighter, I think, because of the escalating blinds, but I'm really not even close to 100% sure. I'm sure the way to think about the game is the same, but there are technical details unique to SNGs that I'm probably not qualified to comment on.

Posted over 6 years ago

WiltOnTilt

2658 posts
Joined 10/2007

we really should just get a HU NL forum...

Posted over 6 years ago

Ulkis

671 posts
Joined 10/2007

Now I have not played HU ever but even I was taking notes on hand ranges etc. I got the illusion even I could go to 50NL HU table with said general strategy and not get slaughtered - that's how good I thought the 1st episode was in explaining the core for beginner.

But I hate the variance (that is why I play FR) and prefer my hourly WR just ticking over, slowly but surely. But come one Saturday night and after coupla beers, perhaps I will try HU.

This series is one example where it is not that relevant for me personally, but still very interesting to watch for my general poker education to broaden my knowleadge.

It will be interesting to watch some HU videos with holecards and compare preflop play against general strategy hand range.

Posted over 6 years ago

Mendez

810 posts
Joined 02/2008

Re: button opening range. Even as a general strategy, this seems way too tight. Bear in mind that if you raise 33% of your hands from the button, your opponent can fold every single hand in the BB and break even. I stuck the button opening range suggested in the video into Pokerstove and it comes out as 37%. This means that your opponent could make a profit in the BB by playing only QQ+ AQ+.

Posted over 6 years ago

archangel95

21 posts
Joined 03/2008

Feel free to post them here if they relate to the topics in the video. Otherwise, one of us will get around to them in the strat forums :-)

Question was about reraising AJo and how to play it post flop... Is this correct? I can't get converter to work. I felt like I had a decent hand but if I pushed the action and got called I was likely behind.

PokerStars Game #15817711585: Hold'em No Limit ($0.50/$1.00) - 2008/03/07 - 22:02:55 (ET)
Table 'Megrez V' 9-max Seat #7 is the button
Seat 3: archangel95 ($101 in chips)
Seat 7: theAlchemizt ($59 in chips)
theAlchemizt: posts small blind $0.50
archangel95: posts big blind $1
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to archangel95 [Jc Ad]
theAlchemizt: raises $3 to $4
archangel95: raises $10 to $14
theAlchemizt: calls $10
*** FLOP *** [9h Kd Js]
archangel95: checks
theAlchemizt: bets $14
archangel95: calls $14
*** TURN *** [9h Kd Js] [4d]
theAlchemizt: checks
*** RIVER *** [9h Kd Js 4d] [2h]

Posted over 6 years ago

KRANTZ

3150 posts
Joined 07/2007

Re: button opening range. Even as a general strategy, this seems way too tight. Bear in mind that if you raise 33% of your hands from the button, your opponent can fold every single hand in the BB and break even. I stuck the button opening range suggested in the video into Pokerstove and it comes out as 37%. This means that your opponent could make a profit in the BB by playing only QQ+ AQ+.

The strategy is meant for beginners and you can of course add hands as you see fit. I have a much looser opening range personally, and again, you'll hear about how and why to add hands as we start talking about how to play some of the more common (and marginal) postflop situations.

A point I'll make is that your opponent could make a profit by only playing those hands (QQ+), but he won't only play those hands. Which is what exploitative strategies are all about.

Posted over 6 years ago

KRANTZ

3150 posts
Joined 07/2007

Question was about reraising AJo and how to play it post flop... Is this correct? I can't get converter to work. I felt like I had a decent hand but if I pushed the action and got called I was likely behind.

PokerStars Game #15817711585: Hold'em No Limit ($0.50/$1.00) - 2008/03/07 - 22:02:55 (ET)
Table 'Megrez V' 9-max Seat #7 is the button
Seat 3: archangel95 ($101 in chips)
Seat 7: theAlchemizt ($59 in chips)
theAlchemizt: posts small blind $0.50
archangel95: posts big blind $1
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to archangel95 [Jc Ad]
theAlchemizt: raises $3 to $4
archangel95: raises $10 to $14
theAlchemizt: calls $10
*** FLOP *** [9h Kd Js]
theAlchemizt: bets $14
archangel95: calls $14
*** TURN *** [9h Kd Js] [4d]
*** RIVER *** [9h Kd Js 4d] [2h]

This is well played in a vacuum, but something to keep in mind when posting HU hands (and to a slightly lesser extent shorthanded HHs), is giving reads and notes on your opponent. This could be the worst play ever against some opponents and standard against others.

Posted over 6 years ago

archangel95

21 posts
Joined 03/2008

Yeah it was only the 4th or 5th hand of our match. I didn't really have any notes yet. He mucked 66.

Thank you.

Posted over 6 years ago

People_Mover

68 posts
Joined 03/2008

I really liked the video, but there was no mention of bankroll management for HU Cash. Are you guys going to touch on this?

Posted over 6 years ago

Mendez

810 posts
Joined 02/2008

we really should just get a HU NL forum...

I already posted a request for a NL HU forum in the "About Deuces Cracked" forum, but so far it's only got one reply

Posted over 6 years ago

WiltOnTilt

2658 posts
Joined 10/2007

The strategy is meant for beginners and you can of course add hands as you see fit. I have a much looser opening range personally, and again, you'll hear about how and why to add hands as we start talking about how to play some of the more common (and marginal) postflop situations.

A point I'll make is that your opponent could make a profit by only playing those hands (QQ+), but he won't only play those hands. Which is what exploitative strategies are all about.

Bingo!

Posted over 6 years ago

DeathDonkey

5389 posts
Joined 11/2006

corasaur

10 posts
Joined 03/2008

For a future episode I would love to see one on Tournament/SNG HU vs Cash game HU. And how your strategies would vary between the too.

Posted over 6 years ago

HomePoker ForumsHeads Up NL → pr1nnyraiding : Episode One