Poker Video: Misc/Other by DeathDonkey (Mid Stakes)

Mentor: DeathDonkey (#13) - $3/6 Triple Draw

This video is a two minute preview. To view the entire video, please Log In or Sign Up Now
Get the Flash Player to see this player.

Mentor: DeathDonkey (#13) - $3/6 Triple Draw by DeathDonkey

DeathDonkey talks over some interesting spots in this viewer submitted 2-tabling triple draw video.

About Mentor Subscribe to

DeucesCracked coaches Mentor their students in these coaching videos.

Tags

deathdonkey mentor triple draw 2-tabling $3/6 TDL

Video Details

• Game: other
  • Stakes: Mid Stakes
  • 47 minutes long
  • Posted over 2 years ago

Downloads

Premium Subscribers can download high-quality, DRM-free videos in multiple formats.

Comments for Mentor: DeathDonkey (#13) - $3/6 Triple Draw

or track by Email or RSS

SIide

2405 posts
Joined 12/2008

Time Link to 00:15:37

I decided to fold the 8742x because of how weak tight I had seen vincent play. When he checks the flop in this case, his range is still his entire 1-c range that bricked and not just the weaker part of that range. Also, I think his lead here is just a made hand that he thinks is good.

I've seen bad players donk bet/3-bet here with 7s thinking they'll win a ton of bets, though not sure if this is the case in this spot.

Posted over 2 years ago

SIide

2405 posts
Joined 12/2008

Time Link to 00:21:32

Again, this must be close to the bottom of your defending range (assuming the Btn isn't a nit). 862 seems like a standard fold.

Posted over 2 years ago

SIide

2405 posts
Joined 12/2008

thats an interesting theory chat. i thought patting lighter is better ip cause its much easier to play like when we get raised we can break etc otherwise he can raise while drawing etc

I think the main deciding factor for me was just how passive straight forward our opponent is here. We basically have no fear of getting played back at unless villain has made a strong hand. I think in general, continually patting a smooth 97 in this spot against competent opponents is probably going to make our range too weak and give us trouble later in the hand.

Regarding patting lighter in position, I think you also have to consider your implied odds when your deciding whether to pat or break. When you pat rough your basically giving up any chance to get in a nice raise when you over take your opponent, or even just simply being able to value bet the river when you make a hand. If we're in a situation where our draw and our pat hand have roughly the same equity, I think we should strongly consider breaking in position.

Posted over 2 years ago

DeathDonkey

5389 posts
Joined 11/2006

Bit surprised at the amount of heat I got from this fold. I agree its an open given the poor players in the blinds, but its got to be close to the worst hand I would open. I think 872 is generally a fold and kinda view 843 & 862 as about equal in starting hand strength and can go either way in the HJ.

I think killing a deuce makes 862 a bit better than 843 but I'd probably open both in hijack, its not a huge deal obviously I would probably play a lot of borderline hands given how juicy those games looked.

Posted over 2 years ago

DeathDonkey

5389 posts
Joined 11/2006

dd how do u play the exact vicentziu hand he has (23478) ott? c/r/call down or c/r/break or c/c/c/c?

Probably CR and break, CR call down against more aggressive villains.

Posted over 2 years ago

DeathDonkey

5389 posts
Joined 11/2006

I decided to fold the 8742x because of how weak tight I had seen vincent play. When he checks the flop in this case, his range is still his entire 1-c range that bricked and not just the weaker part of that range. Also, I think his lead here is just a made hand that he thinks is good.

I've seen bad players donk bet/3-bet here with 7s thinking they'll win a ton of bets, though not sure if this is the case in this spot.

Fair enough, makes sense

Posted over 2 years ago

DeathDonkey

5389 posts
Joined 11/2006

Again, this must be close to the bottom of your defending range (assuming the Btn isn't a nit). 862 seems like a standard fold.

Yes for sure, I think I probably draw my line between 258 and 268

Posted over 2 years ago

TecmoSuperBowl

Tribe Leader
5686 posts
Joined 01/2009

Time Link to 00:24:13

You say here that it is worth more to see a few deuces than other wheel cards when snowing. I presume that is because the less likely they are to have a deuce, the rougher their draw likely will be. However, once someone has decided to play a hand, I feel like there's a decent chance they already have a deuce. Therefore, if we start picking up non-deuce wheel cards, shouldn't that be slightly better in that it is more likely that they started with a deuce and are now looking for non-deuce wheel cards? To clarify, based on "normal" starting hands, won't our opponents be looking for non-deuce wheel cards more often than deuces? And shouldn't that mean that picking up non-deuce wheel cards is more valuable?

In contrast, seeing 3 deuces preflop seems more valuable in that there's less of a chance that someone enters the pot to begin with.

Granted, at these stakes and specifically w/ some of these players, having a deuce is not as big of a concern for starting hands for them, but I'm speaking more in general terms.

Posted over 2 years ago

DeathDonkey

5389 posts
Joined 11/2006

In general people constantly amaze me at how they get sucked into a hand with a crappy hand with no deuce, so blocking the deuces is still worth the most. Main reason is that early on they are not that worried, but then when you are drawing less cards than them or pat (snowing or not) they will think "wow I played a weak hand to begin with and now I'm further behind than I thought and I have a crappy draw, lets just get out of this mess" and fold. This is usually a good thing for you when its snowy Smile

Posted over 2 years ago

TecmoSuperBowl

Tribe Leader
5686 posts
Joined 01/2009

Makes sense. So you're essentially hoping to see deuces because that increases your fold equity based on your perceived strength and their likely weak hands as a result of not having those deuces. Or when you actually have a hand, then you obviously have the green light to bet more thinly and be more confident in general.

Assuming a competent opponent, I think the value of catching deuces goes down a bit, but then again, a competent player will still have some rough hands in their range as well depending on position, opponents, etc. VS another good player, does that value of catching a deuce go down a bit for you? Or is catching deuces just that much more valuable that it's a good bit better in all scenarios?

Thanks in advance.

Posted over 2 years ago

HJD

1017 posts
Joined 05/2010

i actually kinda prefer to have alot of the mid cards because then people get to the river and brick before folding so you get more value in your snow Smile also some people that are dueceless get suspicious because of that.

Posted over 2 years ago

DeathDonkey

5389 posts
Joined 11/2006

One thing is surely true, sometimes even good players will be in a spot where they saw like three deuces, and a good-playing opponent will play a big pot against them and afterwards they will say something like "wow you had the last deuce" like it should be any big surprise. At the end of the day when n good players are in a pot against you, you better see (5-n) deuces before you're sure you've got someone in a bad spot Smile

Posted over 2 years ago

TecmoSuperBowl

Tribe Leader
5686 posts
Joined 01/2009

Casual

23 posts
Joined 05/2012

Hi!

min 16:40 I think you misread the action. Slide defendetd vs an UTG or Hijack open. Isn't that too optimistic? What is the worst hand you would defend here? I fold 82 and 62 but call 2W, 27 and 863+. Is that too tight?

Posted about 2 years ago

Casual

23 posts
Joined 05/2012

min 26:50 Are you positive that you fold here? he flatted pre so has a weak range I assume.
I probably do overvalue 853 a little bit but I like it more then 753. Also the likelyhood of being jammed is relatively small since the guy left to act drew 2.

Posted about 2 years ago

HomePoker ForumsMixed Games → Mentor : DeathDonkey (#13) - $3/6 Triple Draw