Mixed Games Poker Forums

50c/$1 badugi: monster pat hand in monster pot - how much action?

or track by Email or RSS

Plutoman

249 posts
Joined 05/2010

Poker Stars $0.50/$1.00 Limit Badugi - 8 players - View hand 1482007
DeucesCracked Poker Videos Hand History Converter

Pre Draw: (1.5 SB) Hero is UTG with A Heart 6 Diamond 5 Club 4 Spade
Hero raises, UTG+1 folds, MP1 3-bets, MP2 calls, CO calls, BTN folds, SB folds, BB calls, Hero caps!, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, BB calls

First Draw: (20.5 SB) (5 players)
BB draws 2, Hero stands pat, MP1 draws 1, MP2 draws 2, CO draws 1
Hand: A Heart 6 Diamond 5 Club 4 Spade
BB checks, Hero bets, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO raises, BB folds, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls

Second Draw: (14.25 BB) (4 players)
Hero stands pat, MP1 draws 1, MP2 draws 1, CO stands pat
Hand: A Heart 6 Diamond 5 Club 4 Spade
Hero checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, CO bets, Hero raises, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO 3-bets, Hero ?

This is a great table btw. Lots of 5-way + pots. The guy who 3-bet pre is very bad - about ten minutes earlier he open-raised pre, drew 3-3-0, and took down a big pot with 643A.

I kind of regret slow-playing this as I did. With the table dynamics (look at the cold calls on the turn) I really should have just kept my foot on the gas. Plus my rough six, if such a thing exists, isn't exactly unbeatable so I should make them pay to draw out on me. On the other hand they might be drawing dead...

Anyway, the guy who 3-bet the turn looks more competent than some of the others, and my CR on the turn represents a lot of strength, so should I just call down from here, cap the turn, CR the river, or something else? Thanks.

Posted almost 3 years ago

Chillolini

51 posts
Joined 04/2011

Cap after 1st, its a multiway pot, and let them pay the max to draw out.

As played I'm capping after 2nd, and bet/calldown 3rd. He should raise you lighter than usual here because there are two more players in the pot to extract value from.

SIide

2405 posts
Joined 12/2008

Yea, Cap after the 1st draw and Bet/3-bet after the 2nd draw. You have so much value in this spot its disgusting and letting MPs' off the hook is silly when you have a chance to put a ton of bets in on the turn if you cap the flop anyways.

DeathDonkey

5389 posts
Joined 11/2006

Plutoman

249 posts
Joined 05/2010

Thanks. Tables like this don't come up every day, and neither do pat sixes (unless you play heaps), so the combination of the two is so infrequent that failing to maximize value when it happens (which is what I did with my slow-play) is criminal.

However, at a more normal table, would flatting the flop and CRing the turn be so bad? I seem to remember DD advocating this, and I have had a fair amount of joy with it in the past. You do tend to lose people when they have to call two bets cold, even when they're small bets. The question is how would you balance the move? With kings? Snows like Ah 3h 4h 7h?

SIide

2405 posts
Joined 12/2008

Why are you trying to fold out opponents who are drawing to a potential 0-3 outs? You want villains to continue on in the hand

DeathDonkey

5389 posts
Joined 11/2006

I would never advocate that in a 4 way pot

Plutoman

249 posts
Joined 05/2010

Slide, no I'm trying to keep them in! Hence why I said "You do tend to lose people when they have to call two bets cold". I don't want to lose them.

OK DD, I guess it must have been a HU or 3-way hand. I still don't get why it's wrong in a multi-way pot to wait till the big-bet streets to put the raises in. I mean in a 5-way pot that got capped pre, by the time you get to the turn it's pretty damn big so even if your CR sets off alarm bells they might still call.

Thanks.

SIide

2405 posts
Joined 12/2008

Pluto, by waiting to the turn you've created a situation where you've kept the pot smaller and waited for the bets to get bigger before facing your opponents with 2 bets cold. In this case, they are getting much worse odds to call to continue than if you had faced them with 2 bets cold after the 1st draw and are in my opinion much more likely to fold. Also, I think players are much more likely to continue after the 1st draw because they still have 2 chances to improve, where as on the turn they now only have 1 chance.

Plutoman

249 posts
Joined 05/2010

Yeah, good points Slide. I suppose you're right looking at it now. A plus with my play though is that one of them might hit a good badugi (but not as good as mine) on the 2nd draw. But basically I agree with you having thought about this a bit.

HomePoker ForumsMixed Games → 50c/$1 badugi: monster pat hand in monster pot - how much action?