Mid Stakes Shorthanded NL Poker Forums

thinking play

or track by Email or RSS

Trumpeta

299 posts
Joined 03/2011

Hey guys,

i have a general question abou how you guys plan your sessions. I feel like i do have the knowledge and skill to beat MSSNL but i do have a lot of sessions where i kind of fall ino "autopilot" or just dont think about ranges enough and do a lot of bad calls, those "symptoms" accure more often when i am running bad, and often i start a session and notice that i am not really in "playing mode" and dont play A game right away. So i wanted to know how you guys prepare for a session?? what do you guys do to maintain your Agame and force yourself to think about evry spot??

thx

Posted almost 3 years ago

zachd2323

3148 posts
Joined 04/2010

Make sure you do something to get yourself in right frame of mind to play. Personally, I like to do some posting in the forums or watch a video. I don't think it needs to be a long process, but just something to get your brain thinking about poker.

I also just watched a Grindcore video where he talked about taking 2 seconds before every decision to keep yourself from autopiloting. He said no matter how standard a decision is, you should take a moment and think if there's a better way to play the hand. I thought that was interesting and probably worth a try.

duffte

2568 posts
Joined 04/2008

welcome to the most difficult part of poker

Majkel

146 posts
Joined 07/2009

I also just watched a Grindcore video where he talked about taking 2 seconds before every decision to keep yourself from autopiloting. He said no matter how standard a decision is, you should take a moment and think if there's a better way to play the hand. I thought that was interesting and probably worth a try.

Great piece of advice.

Posted over 2 years ago

nawhead

2485 posts
Joined 10/2009

rituals.

my rituals: go to bathroom, turn off distractions, turn on bright light, adjust seat, have glass of water ready, set a timer.

when i start going through my ritual, my mind automatically turns to thoughts about the upcoming session, my last session, things i learned recenctly about poker.

once i sit down, i also go through a checklist of things i need to do for A-game such as not playing on an empty stomach, getting enough sleep the night before, etc.. if i go through the list and see that i've disregarded something, i know already something's not right or that i'm forcing a session when i know i shouldn't.

then i prime myself by reading some quotes i have by good poker players and also thinking of those players, envisioning in my head how they think and act during a session.

i also grade myself on a few metrics (observation, decisions, adjustment, tilt, stamina) during and after each session.

and a lot of these ideas came from Mindsets and Strategies

Posted over 2 years ago

PrinzVonHapunkt

1521 posts
Joined 12/2010

my rituals: go to bathroom, turn off distractions, turn on bright light, adjust seat, have glass of water ready, set a timer.

I hear ya, I'm also having problems forcing it. Maybe I should also set a timer more often, because when there's nothing in there anymore, nothing's gonna come out!

when i start going through my ritual, my mind automatically turns to thoughts about the upcoming session, my last session

Yeah, you should definitely fix those horror memories of your last potty-training or you will never be able to take your A+ dump

once i sit down, i also go through a checklist of things i need to do for A-game such as not playing on an empty stomach .... forcing a session when i know i shouldn't.

definitely form of neurosis

then i prime myself by reading some quotes i have by good poker players and also thinking of those players, envisioning in my head how they think and act during a session.

yes, definitely nice way to disctract yourself from your constipation

i also grade myself on a few metrics (observation, decisions, adjustment, tilt, stamina) during and after each session.

Sounds like a very good idea, especially if you made horrible decisions like wee-wee-ing instead and then deciding to tilt your tool in the wrong direction amirite

Posted over 2 years ago

nawhead

2485 posts
Joined 10/2009

my toilet rituals dwarf these poker rituals. not to put too fine a point on it, it's a game changer. and too powerful to reveal to the public.

Posted over 2 years ago

HomePoker ForumsMid Stakes Shorthanded NL → thinking play